House Price Crash Forum

Btl Scum Regrouping And On The Offensive. -- Merged

HOLA441
22 hours ago, spyguy said:

https://www.ft.com/content/4f180ee8-de97-11e8-9f04-38d397e6661c

US job market and wages pretty much on fire.

That stupid Canuck had a chance to move roughly with the FED.

Declined it - for Brexit, or not for Brexit, too much snow, too much sun.

Idiot.

BoE is now far behind, so rather than go for sveral small icnrment,s wich should have started last year. hes going to have to put up BoE rates in large chunks.

Looks like its not only Brown, Gdiots rep for economic mamgement that will be burned in the 2007 fall out.

Six months into a 5 year fix @ 2.29%. Bring on IR rises!

HOLA442
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

They've become accustomed to operating in a total Wild West environment - little/no tax, minimal accountability to either the government or tenants for standard of service. If all else fails just S21 and get a new lot in who don't know what the problems with the property are and will have to put up with it for at least a year or two as they won't want to move again so soon.

Twice now I've moved into private rentals to find that the boiler was only semi-functional in a way that wasn't detected just by running the hot tap during the viewing e.g. running for a bit but then cutting out despite the hot tap still being open. Clearly in both cases the previous tenants would have known about this but for whatever reason couldn't be bothered to chase the landlords to get it fixed. In both cases it took huge amounts of chasing from our end to get the landlords to have the necessary repairs done - explains why the previous tenants hadn't bothered.

Our current landlord is a classic example of the good ol' British BTLer, every time he says he's going to get a quote to get some work done I mentally roll my eyes as I know perfectly well by now that he will sit back in his retirement home >200 miles away in SW England and do absolutely nothing.

The latest anecdotal I have was that the hot water storage tank scaled up so badly that the water actually stopped flowing.  We stayed at the complaints by following the documented process which eventually leads to you being able to get it fixed yourself and so managed to get a new tank within a few weeks.  The hilarious piece was that they replaced it with a tank 1/3 of the size of what was there.

I didn't bother pushing back as we were giving notice in a couple of weeks.  The Real Estate agent who then came to photograph the place "asked how the shower was".  I replied with "it's ok provided you're quick" as I opened the door to show the tank.  Even he rolled his eyes.

We'll be sure to point this out to any punters who look at the place while we're still present although given the monthly rent they want it might be empty for a while.

HOLA443
2 hours ago, wish I could afford one said:

Why are they so against licensing?  Licensing is just about ensuring minimum standards are met and as professional business people surely they want to protect their investment by keeping their assets in a condition far above the minimum.  I know in the business I work planned predictable maintenance is essential from a business continuity perspective.

Most "proper" business people who want to deliver a good service and ensure the safety of both employees and customers actually want effective licensing of their industries.  It stops you being undercut by cowboys and acts as a barrier to entry for new businesses that don't have the required experience and expertise.  It also stops bad publicity about the industry as a whole.

I work in a regulated sector and my biggest beef is that the regulator is ineffectual.

HOLA444

Exactamundo. Effective businesspeople see the value of effective regulation and want it to work properly. That is particularly true in capital-intensive industries where returns are only available in the long-term. Proper regulation prevents there from being a race to the bottom and protects margins, gives investors and customers confidence and protects margins. And it has another benefit: follow the right procedures and you're legally fireproof. If something goes wrong you can point out that you've followed procedure laid down by the authorities. 

Any decent landlord would welcome it. But BTL has attracted people who think the world owes them a living, who don't see why they should have to work like ordinary people and who are either too lazy or too stupid to run a proper business or hold down a proper job. In my industry we might kill people if we screw up (and sometimes we do) and as a result I can't wipe my bottom without following correct procedure. I've had a couple of decent landlords but I wouldn't give any of them a job.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
10 minutes ago, Horridbloke said:

Ooh, a rogue tenant database (behind a paywall). Isn't that a bit sue-worthy?

Jeez - data protection legislation.

As a non-expert - I suspect this is illegal, or at least it requires very high-quality unbiased data processing (I'm not sure calling someone a 'Rogue' really counts) - https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/lawful-basis-for-processing/legitimate-interests/

anyone know more, please inform us!

Edited by Si1

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
9 hours ago, Horridbloke said:

Ooh, a rogue tenant database (behind a paywall). Isn't that a bit sue-worthy?

Yes.

A few years ago, another collection of properdee morons - BnB owners decided to get together to put together a list  'bad guests'

If the bad was not paying then its a police matter.

However in this case, it appears to be people they did not like, or found fault with 'Dun Working' facilities.

I had to virtually march one to a solicitors before the bunch of them got sued.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
3 hours ago, Lavalas said:

Would not answer the phone for a comment.

Have they tried down the romanian massage parlour?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah, but they've got a six point plan!

719997987_nla6pointplan.JPG.8a792014c81893f29974dcf3c0315e03.JPG

Yes, that's right folks, their six point plan only has five points.

? Great spot. Who would have thought that the CEO of the much respected Landlords' Alliance couldn't count up to 6?

HOLA4422

I'm sorry, this Landlord Alliance thing just has to be a trolling of epic proportions. It's just too obvious! 10 out 10 to whoever has managed to pull it off!

Getting £100-a-time pledges for little more than a dodgy Twitter feed (which is definitely doing more harm than good to the landlord cause) and a crap website.  

Impressive !

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
2 minutes ago, thewig said:

man these cretinous fcking DEBTjunkies won't stop until they're dead

Not even then. And for 4 reasons: 

1) stupidity

2) sense of entitlement 

3) inability to count  

?

HOLA4425