House Price Crash Forum

Mcdonalds Under Threat Of Total Closure In Russia...retaliation For Sanctions

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

End game for the Russian economy ?.........all inward investment would cease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28867784

Whats so great about inward investment? Its just selling your country off to foreigners and allowing your children to be mere tenants in their own country.

Sadly, even the Saudis have fallen for it now, recently allowing non-Saudis to invest in their stock market.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Was the world a better or worse place before the rise of american style fast food chains ?

In food terms it was a better place with more restaurants and little cafes where you could get a reasonable selection of meals for a reasonable price. Priced at the equivalent level to fast food now. To get the equivalent now you usually have to pay 2 or 3 times as much to the extent that for most people it can't be an everyday experience.

That's not to say that there's not a place for the fast food chains and takeaways etc but their current preponderance is unbalanced.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

To get the equivalent now you usually have to pay 2 or 3 times as much to the extent that for most people it can't be an everyday experience.

This is just inflation (input costs, salaries, etc) showing through. If its the food you're after, there are plenty of places offering so called "gourmet burgers" in recent years.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

At least the Russians have a sense of humour..

Food standards are pretty good in Russia. Much of the produce is organic and locally sourced. Also certain products like meat goes through a highly centralised processing system (highly lucrative for the oligarchs involved too). Also, many traditional brands are popular not because of some sense of Soviet nostalgia but because Russian consumers are often wary of the artificial rubbish popular in the West. Much of the Russian food chain has not had the time or 'investment' necessary to adulterate it with industrially-produced junk.

I read a BBC article earlier this week talking about Cuba which said people returning to the island brought back essentials with them 'even from Moscow', as if the Russian capital is characterised by empty supermarkets and food shortages. The West really needs to get over its stereotypes about Russia. In most cases they more than a decade out of date.

HOLA4415

McDonalds are no great loss most people I know have stopped going there and prefer to throw an extra couple of quid in and get a gourmet burger or even most local takeaway places do far better stuff for the same price. Probably saved the russians a lot in medical bills. I am finding in England there are lots of pubs with good 2 for 1 meals so for just a few quid we can have a pub lunch over a maccers. so its no contest really.

It was the pink slime done it for me, I know we allegedly dont get the "pink slime" in the UK but I never trust a corporation to tell me the truth.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Food standards are pretty good in Russia. Much of the produce is organic and locally sourced. Also certain products like meat goes through a highly centralised processing system (highly lucrative for the oligarchs involved too). Also, many traditional brands are popular not because of some sense of Soviet nostalgia but because Russian consumers are often wary of the artificial rubbish popular in the West. Much of the Russian food chain has not had the time or 'investment' necessary to adulterate it with industrially-produced junk.

I read a BBC article earlier this week talking about Cuba which said people returning to the island brought back essentials with them 'even from Moscow', as if the Russian capital is characterised by empty supermarkets and food shortages. The West really needs to get over its stereotypes about Russia. In most cases they more than a decade out of date.

The food might be good quality, but is kind of outweighed by washing it down with Toilet Duck!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

If its the food you're after, there are plenty of places offering so called "gourmet burgers" in recent years.

Indeed. We have a local chain that sells bigger and better burgers for not much more than McDonalds', unless you go for the cheapest loss-leader deals on the McDonalds' menu. I'd much rather go there than give money to a massive conglomerate that spends billions researching what slime they can put in their food.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Hahahaha - he is Putin the boot into the Russian Chavs and small business owners! ROFL!

As they have all the infrastructure in place dont you think the small business owners may just buy some burger and chips locally?

Fair play to Putin, he was the one who sided against ISIS several months ago when President Umbongo and Camoron were all up for arming them.

HOLA4424

Millions of their customers might disagree with you. My family all love Big Macs, I'm the exception as I prefer Burger King.

Choices, something that is nice to have..... Neither of them exist when you don't use them......both ceased to exist a number of years ago....can say any worse off or miss either of them.

HOLA4425

As they have all the infrastructure in place dont you think the small business owners may just buy some burger and chips locally?

Fair play to Putin, he was the one who sided against ISIS several months ago when President Umbongo and Camoron were all up for arming them.

Yep. And now, all of a sudden, Obama/Cameron and the other morons aren't so keen on their new ISIS/Syrian rebel friends.

Putin warned them all that this would happen. Many times. He also warned them all before the Iraq invasion, and before the Libyan nonsense (Libya is now a war zone).