House Price Crash Forum

Hmrc Turns Up Heat On Landlords

HOLA441

As a tenant it is already your responsibility to deduct the tax, if your landlord is not a UK resident. So the president is already set.

More details about the exceptions of Non-resident landlords can be found here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/nr-landlords.htm

That doesn't make it right. Using private individuals as unpaid tax collectors is just wrong, if it's through a letting agent and transparent to the tenant it's another matter.

How can a tenant be expected to ascertain the residency status of a landlord? How is a tenant supposed to know that they are responsible for the collection of the landlord's tax? Assuming that the tenant is aware of this daft law and deducts the tax from the rent paid to the landlord, is the tenant expected to write a cheque to HMRC, buy an envelope and stamp and take it to the post office?

If ever there was an asinine law, this is it!

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

If HMRC caught 25 every time they announced this, they'd have them all by now. :rolleyes:

Quite. HMRC usually over estimates how much money is actually being withheld though. They assume everyone is on the fiddle somewhere; somehow.

However their job is not to take 100% of the possible yield but to bring in enough cash with the least resources. If they could catch 1 in 5 landlords who are evading tax word would go around and only the most foolhardy, or clever, would avoid making a declaration. Their current strategy seems to be sending out a scatter gun of letters to people they think are secret landlords, be interesting to see if this works. They are only contacting 4% of the people they believe are secret landlords, doesn't seem like much of an effort to me.

How do they identify which properties are being rented and by whom? The rental agencies would be the first port of call - do the rental agencies have landlords NI numbers? If not, why not? (I mention NI numbers because using real names is fraught with problems).

The privately rented properties are going to be much harder to find. Who owns the property? Where do they live? Who is living in the property? The data is in land registry and council tax records but it is a complicated mining job. Does the person who owns the property pay tax on rental income? I suspect they have only sent letters to the very lowest hanging fruit.

Yes you can talk about Big Data, data mining, silos, blah blah blah and get in your highly paid bullshitters from Crapita but it will still be very hard to reconcile all of the information to make an accurate assessment of even a portion of the secret landlords.

Edited by davidg

HOLA447

Hi this is my first post :)

In Germany, if you buy any property, the Land Registry will AUTOMATICALLY inform the tax authority, who will then send you a form to declare whether you will be living there (as primary residence) or not.

Thus because they have joined up thinking unlike our useless system - in Germany you CANNOT avoid tax on BTL.

HOLA448

Isn't the landlords name and address usually on the tenancy agreement? Its always been on mine.

Hmmmm.

I'm thinking now of a place I used to live. My landlords' (Mr and Mrs) name and address were indeed on the agreement. They remained unchanged as the landlords divorced, and she became my sole landlady. They further remained unchanged as she moved back to her native Switzerland.

Remind me again how a tenant is supposed to follow such intricacies?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Time to draft 650 letters to HMRC about the tax dodgers in westminster. I am sure they would be obliged to investigate any accusations of tax dodging.

Or two FOI requests, one for how many MPs have been checked and the other how many landlords have responded / been prosecuted.

HOLA4411

Hi this is my first post :)

In Germany, if you buy any property, the Land Registry will AUTOMATICALLY inform the tax authority, who will then send you a form to declare whether you will be living there (as primary residence) or not.

Thus because they have joined up thinking unlike our useless system - in Germany you CANNOT avoid tax on BTL.

Welcome TK. That sounds sensible, but it doesn't cover change of use - the 'accidental landlord' syndrome. How is that handled in Deutschland?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

And if it's not you don't have to pay rent. :)

You don't have to pay the landlord rent at that point in time. You are meant to put the money to one side and all rent will (including back payments) has to be paid once the information is provided.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

We assume stupidity and incompetence. I can only assume it is deliberate, it is so obvious.

Yep. So many obvious ways to track and/or monitor them that it has to be deliberate.

Is there a form to fill in if you're a tenant of a landlord who did not use an agency, so may be under the hmrc radar?

Don't think there is a specific form as such but any body can use this

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/TEH_IRF

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4416

HMRC has today updated its published list of deliberate tax defaulters who have evaded an amount of tax in excess of £25,000 (Section 94 of the Finance Act 2009 gave HMRC authority to do this).

No property investors have been listed this time (although the evaded tax could possibly relate to property income).

Details of deliberate tax defaulters

Edit: for clarity

Edited by FreeTrader

HOLA4417

HMRC has today updated its published list of deliberate tax defaulters who have evaded an amount of tax in excess of £25,000 (Section 94 of the Finance Act 2009 gave HMRC authority to do this).

No property investors have been listed this time (although the evaded tax could possibly relate to property income).

Details of deliberate tax defaulters

Edit: for clarity

There are several:

Property Rental
Restaurant and Property Income
Income from Property

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

There are several:

Property Rental
Restaurant and Property Income
Income from Property

One of them a Mr Johal, has resigned from his sole directorship from a car hire company...looks like at cursory glance he also had property too all undeclared..

HOLA4420

Sorry, but what is this list of trivial amounts? Is this the real magnitude of tax dodging? I mean, some of the itemised amounts are almost de minimis; £383.67 for instance.

HOLA4421

Sorry, but what is this list of trivial amounts? Is this the real magnitude of tax dodging? I mean, some of the itemised amounts are almost de minimis; £383.67 for instance.

Yes, it does seems surprisngly sparse. Far from being a deterrent, it's more like a green light.

One of them a Mr Johal, has resigned from his sole directorship from a car hire company...looks like at cursory glance he also had property too all undeclared..

He has a namesake who has also made the news.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

+1 what seems to have escaped everyone's attention this is pure bully boy tactics aimed at the small guy. It stinks frankly and the fact that we are debating which small timer should be picked on must be music to the ears of the .1%