HOLA441
  • Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

I have seen on here the mention of a 97% support for Crimea to go to Russia in the referendum.

Does anybody really belive this or are they just trying to get people worked up..

If anybody actually belives that was a true representive of population then I am staggered.

97% of those 80% taking part in the referendum are totally feasible. Those who did not vote knew they would be vastly outnumbered anyway and stayed at home to try and discredit it, so that the biased western governments and the media would have something to yap about.

These are the heroes (very small Moscow protest)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbXe11Gfvs

More guts than I will ever have.

I wouldn't want to say anything bad about these young people. I was once like that. And then I became older and grew wiser. Although I appreciate their proclaimed purpose, I don't agree with their methods: it seems as they try and draw all the attention to themselves from the media, readily available in the area, rather than caring about the actual people behind the bars.

Pro Ukrianioan protest attacked. There are lots of videos of this attack on youtube.

I just clicked this one quickly.

Most people tend to see and hear only what they want to, and you are no exception. Do you know that it was a direct response to the nationalist attack on pro-Russian protestors the day before in neighboring city of Kharkiv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRz2ZGghIBA ? And then the same nationalists and ultras turned up to Donetsk to lead a pro-Ukrainian rally, and that's the result. You perhaps would rather not take any notice of the actual facts and conveniently stick to the official BBC version.

I have not confirmed this indenpendantly but a Russian friend who lives in London told me that the number 1 search on Google in Russian is "Putin must go".

Putin is not universally popular with Russians but it seems runs a very tight ship. People have been arrested in Moscow for weariing a Urkainian flag. Seriously, this is not a joke or some made up information.

That's another case of wishful thinking and is simply not true. It's very easy to check: first go to www.google.ru, they copy and paste "Путин" and see what turns up first, second etc. There is no "Putin must go" on the list. I agree on part that Putin is not universally popular in Russia. However thanks to the events in Ukraine in the past five months, he now became the force to consolidate a Russian society, and only a fool will contest that.

Anyone who asks why the police do not defend buildings in Eastern Ukraine. The answer is simple, as quoted by one police officer, $500 a month or less is not enougth to get your face smashed in. Very easy to bribe if you have billions.

Is money the only motive for you and do you judge others by your own merits? Do you consider that all the other people from all other countries care only about money too and completely disregard other values, such as their culture, history and pride?

OK. I have asked several times but who knows people from Ukraine or Russia?

I know a few people from both countries, apart from being a Russian myself and having relatives in Ukraine. Any questions?

Edited by F-sake

HOLA443
HOLA444

China to Surpass USA as World’s Largest Economy THIS YEAR

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/04/china-surpass-usa-worlds-largest-economy-year.html

Financial Times: The US is on the brink of losing its status as the world’s largest economy, and is likely to slip behind China this year, sooner than widely anticipated, according to the world’s leading statistical agencies.

Why is Putin in Washington’s Crosshairs?
http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/04/28/why-is-putin-in-washingtons-crosshairs/

So what does controlling China have to do with the dust up in Ukraine?

Everything.

Moving Closer To War

http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2014/04/26/moving-closer-war-paul-craig-roberts/

European politicians are putting their countries at great peril and for what gain? Are Europe’s politicians blackmailed, threatened, paid off with bags of money, or are they so accustomed to following Washington’s lead that they are unable to do anything else?

Hey Britain, you cool with Osborne killing your economy to support IMF/EU’s incursion into Ukraine?

http://www.maxkeiser.com/2014/04/hey-britain-you-cool-with-osborne-killing-your-economy-to-support-imfeus-incursion-into-ukraine/

Stress test?

HOLA445

Far-right rally turns into massive brawl on Kiev’s Maidan, shots heard

A massive fight broke out on Kiev’s landmark Independence Square (Maidan) on Tuesday night, with shots and explosives being heard, according to Ukrainian media. There are reports of injuries.

http://rt.com/news/155748-rally-kiev-massive-fight/

- Also rumours floating around today of the far right movements in Ukraine planning a coup.

HOLA446

All getting a bit silly. WaPo LINK.

“After analyzing the sanctions against our space industry, I suggest the U.S. delivers its astronauts to the ISS with a trampoline,” Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, the recipient of a U.S. asset freeze and travel ban, said Tuesday, referring to the international space station.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I have seen on here the mention of a 97% support for Crimea to go to Russia in the referendum.

Does anybody really belive this or are they just trying to get people worked up..

If anybody actually belives that was a true representive of population then I am staggered.

I'm surprised that 3% were brave enough to vote against Putin's stromtroopers.

Vote how you like but we know where you live.

HOLA449

I'm surprised that 3% were brave enough to vote against Putin's stromtroopers.

Vote how you like but we know where you live.

Fine if true and you can back it up. You know/believe it went down like that because...?

It doesn't explain the high turnout to vote (if you were scared presumably more people would have hidden or stayed at home). There were no complaints from the international referees/monitors who reportedly oversaw it. Plus I believe many in Crimea are Russian/pro-Russian anyway, so why risk discrediting it when you have a good chance of winning anyway?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I think there can be little doubt that the majority of Crimea did, in fact, want to join Russia. As the poster above says, there were international observers present in numerous locations and they reported that the referendum was conducted in a proper and fair manner.

HOLA4412

Goodbye East Ukraine?

Frank admission by coup pres.

Ukraine's acting President Olexander Turchynov has admitted his forces are "helpless" to quell unrest driven by pro-Russian activists in the eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk.

Mr Turchynov said the goal was now to prevent the unrest spreading

Continue reading the main story Analysis
_71446139_71446138.jpgDavid SternBBC News, Kiev

The events in Ukraine are increasingly like watching the proverbial train wreck in slow motion. Acting President Olexander Turchynov's admission that the government is "helpless" and has lost control over large parts of the country's east only solidifies that sensation.

Mr Turchynov said the focus now was to stop the unrest from spreading to other regions, especially Odessa and Kharkiv. So far these cities have seen some turbulence, but nothing on the level of what has happened in Donetsk and Luhansk.

The government's hope is to keep a lid on the situation until the 25 May presidential elections. That date now seems an eternity away, and one wonders if the government, or the country, will last that long.

"I would like to say frankly that at the moment the security structures are unable to swiftly take the situation in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions back under control," he said during a meeting with regional governors.

He admitted security personnel "tasked with the protection of citizens" were "helpless".

"More than that, some of these units either aid or co-operate with terrorist groups," he said.

Mr Turchynov added: "Our task is to stop the spread of the terrorist threat first of all in the Kharkiv and Odessa regions.

Finally, a note of realism.

There never will be any consensus across Ukraine. Federalism is the only solution and it would be supported by Russia.

Odessa is a worry, because of its huge Jewish contingent and the rather neo-nazi nature of the Kiev government's right wing.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-30/ukraine-denies-funneling-arms-jihadis-syria

Over the weekend, Germany's Der Spiegel magazine published a report on the funneling of Ukrainian arms to jihadists in Syria via Germany. According to information obtained by Der Spiegel, a Ukrainian state enterprise is delivering rifles to Germany, but the German federal government allegedly doesn’t know what is happening with the weapons. In fact, as Spiegel notes, Berlin “can not dispel the suspicion that these weapons have been passed on to Islamist holy warriors to cause a regime change in Syria." It seems the "news" has spurred reaction from the peace-loving Ukrainian government who, as Interfax reports, staunchly denied any possibility of Germany's re-exporting firearms to Syria this morning.

As Syria 360 reports, Der Spiegel has just published a report on the funneling of Ukranian arms to jihadists in Syria via Germany. The following is a translation of the German text by Emily-Dische Becker

A reason now for Russia to invade Ukranine to stop global terrorism?

HOLA4416

Goodbye East Ukraine?

Frank admission by coup pres.

Finally, a note of realism.

There never will be any consensus across Ukraine. Federalism is the only solution and it would be supported by Russia.

Odessa is a worry, because of its huge Jewish contingent and the rather neo-nazi nature of the Kiev government's right wing.

he doth use the "terrorist threat" way too much....terrorism has moved from being a bomb left in a wastebin in a shopping mall, to being perpetrators of political opposition.

HOLA4417

http://www.theguardian.com/business/economics-blog/2014/apr/30/russian-economy-turn-for-the-worse

Russia's economy was struggling even before the crisis in Ukraine, but things have now taken a turn for the worse, according to the International Monetary Fund. GDP fell in the first three months of 2014 and will fall again in the second quarter. According to the technical definition, that would amount to a recession.

The news will come as little surprise to the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, which counts Russia as its biggest client. The EBRD believes there will be little or no growth this year even assuming there is no further escalation in the crisis.

Russia has five big problems. The first is that its manufacturing sector is uncompetitive after being starved of investment. The second is that the lack of a thriving industrial base has made the economy even more dependent on its oil and gas sector. The third is that a combination of a struggling economy, the Ukraine crisis and endemic corruption has led to capital flight. Goldman Sachs has estimated that up to $50bn (£30bn) has left Russia since the start of 2014 and that the full year figure could be as high as $130bn.

The fourth problem is that, with cash leaving the country and little or no investment coming in, the value of the rouble has fallen sharply. That has forced the central bank to push up interest rates, further depressing growth. Finally, there's the threat of sanctions. These are not having a direct impact but the threat of tougher action to come is weighing down on confidence.

More on the Russian economy.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I am thinking now that actually Putin is looking for the sanctions so he can justify the crap economy and with the new external enemy he can buy another decade in the power ...

I feel sorry for Russians: Tsar, Lenin, Stalin, Brezhnev, Putin ... unlucky people ...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Russia's biggest problem, ahead of corruption, is that everything outside of eMoscow is crumbling, with no plans whatsoever to do anything about it for the foreseeable future.

you can not have a prospering economy if it is owned by 10/20 people ... it is like a some kind of feudalism ...

HOLA4422

Russia's biggest problem, ahead of corruption, is that everything outside of eMoscow is crumbling, with no plans whatsoever to do anything about it for the foreseeable future.

Nations states seem to be ending and we seem to be moving back or forward to city states depending how you view it.

HOLA4423

So a similar problem who's going to pay for fixing the crumbling US infrastructure? And of course the UK where all that matters is London getting more jam.

HOLA4424

So a similar problem who's going to pay for fixing the crumbling US infrastructure? And of course the UK where all that matters is London getting more jam.

You might also want to compare somewhere as crumbly, tumbly as Naples with Kazan, for example.

Of course, it's just another 'Russia is doomed' article to talk up how tough these sanctions are. I notice Russia hasn't even bothered to respond to the last lot, only suggesting that America uses a trampoline to put its astronauts into space.

HOLA4425