House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Uk Sales: Further Fall Blamed On Economy----------Merged Thread

HOLA441

A buyout by Carrefour/Auchan and debt write down would be a good result for all involved (except for the banks).

Unfortunately this hasn't meant that UK Aldi and Lidl prices are any where as low as in Germany.

Tesco smacks of typical UK mismanagement

How can this be? They spend tens of millions, top 'market' rates for criminal management 'talent'.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

"The second nasty surprise is hidden off the balance sheet. During the boom years the company supported big dividend payments through selling off bits of its store portfolio, through something called a sale and leaseback, where the building is sold and rented back. Tesco had £15.9bn in operating lease commitments as of last February."

This looks like it could all be very nasty - high operational gearing while attracting a smaller share of a declining market plus high financial gearing resulting from years of financial engineering to support a roll out into marginal locations and dividend payments. :o

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Yes, could fall further but wouldn't you want to dip your toe, on a 5 year view? And add to on further slump? Remember there will be divs even if reduced.

Falling Knife? No chance. Divs surely won't cover much even on a five year view, and any solution to their woes is currently guesswork.

Reminds me of Scottish football, with Tesco being Rangers (overstretched in the boom years, no one likes them they don't care). I'm out.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yes they said the same of M&S. No way on Earth TESCO going to the wall.

Smaller and more agile, sure. Cheap at these levels. Can of course go more cheap but doesn'tstop being cheap now.

If £5m PCL went to £2m it would still be ridiculous but it would be cheap.

Gave that 24 hours to think over, and I disagree; cheap. Although you didn't set out whether it was someone who previously bought it at £5m, or just 'peak value'.

Here's a £5m 'valued' house, which sold for £2m (outside London). I don't particularly think buyer got a bargain; maybe there is a plot to the side to build new house though. And you're the one (rightly I think) suggesting Russians should be selling PCL now. If a few £5m houses went to £2m, then that would bring down value of many similar houses locally, so they would all be 'cheap'. Russian buyers from here in PCL? Only needs a slide in other financial markets to find out how valuable money actually is vs house prices.

They shld be liquidating now. No brainer given collapse of Ruble.

Tesco today seems to be just above what Ashley/Sports Direct guy did some sort of transaction on (which I don't fully understand).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29357840

http://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/sports_direct/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=723&newsid=448635

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Is it worth buying shares in any of the "middle ground" supermarkets when people have less to spend, and absolutely bugger-all hope of some kind of true demand-driven, wages-increasing-faster-than-inflation recovery? This time next year, Aldi will have more stores open, more market share - expect more profit warnings from Tesco - not just from internal problems - but external problems their target market are facing.

HOLA4416

Yes Russians should sell PCL now and lock in amazing nominal and relative to Ruble gains.

Stand by view on 5 yr view on Tesco. Worth 25-50% size buy and hold.

Well I don't know enough about Tesco to make such a decision, either way.

I see a lot of competition, and consumers watching their spending, or being forced to. Low margin high volume, is not my sort of business, even in good times. I do not know enough (nor feel confident in trying to navigate to find out) about their operations and balance sheet, and holdings... which might include a lot of land suitable for housing).

Necessities May Not be Profitable

Surprisingly, luxury goods do better in a depression than basic necessities. This requires some explaining. You might expect that luxury sales would fall away and only necessities would be purchased during a slump.

But this is only half-true. The majority whose spending power has fallen will spend the little money they have on necessities. That does not mean the people who sell those necessities are going to make much of a profit.

It makes no difference whether the industry makes a product that is "essential." Bread is an essential, but baking has often been less profitable than selling diamonds, which are not necessities.

-Davidson.

When demand falls as it does in a depression, competition for the remaining customers is abnormally intense. This was especially true in the thirties in fields enjoying dynamic growth, such as tobacco products, gasoline sales, and better processed foods.

When the depression began, for example, gasoline was sold from tankers at railheads. Crankcase oil was scooped from large drums. There was practically no service. Within a few years, this was totally changed. New stations were designed. Service attendants ran to greet each customer. They washed windshields, checked oil-levels, and put air in their customers' tyres. They also offered repair facilities, credit services, "service with a smile" ect. As gasoline retailers sought to outdo one another, they invested large sums in marketing and capital improvements. Oil company advertising costs alone in the mid-thirties amounted to 20 percent of the value of gasoline purchases.

In light of this experience, another depression should be viewed as an opportunity to compete. Depressions are periods when brand loyalties in practically any product line are up for grabs. This means that advertising is important for positioning and repositioning products. Companies that trade on identifiable brands will be vulnerable to new competition, especially if they sell cheap products that are technologically easy to produce.

Coca-Cola's lock on the cola market, for example, was challenged in the depression by Pepsi, which originally was a low-cost competitor. This is a matter to bear in mind when reviewing your portfolio. Companies with big names but weak balance sheets, may not survive. Brands that do not go hand-in-hand with superior products will not be worth premium prices.

-Davidson.

HOLA4417

I see a lot of competition, and consumers watching their spending, or being forced to. Low margin high volume, is not my sort of business, even in good times. I do not know enough (nor feel confident in trying to navigate to find out) about their operations and balance sheet, and holdings... which might include a lot of land suitable for housing).

Effectively same as they said of M&S.

HOLA4418

Tesco moves closer to junk

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-10/tesco-moves-closer-to-junk-as-s-p-places-grocer-on-creditwatch.html

Tesco Plc (TSCO), the U.K. grocer that’s grappling with fallout from overstated earnings estimates, moved closer to losing its investment-grade credit status as Standard & Poor’s placed it on negative CreditWatch.

The new outlook will remain in place while S&P considers “the effect of any management actions to improve the group’s financial risk profile,” according to a statement yesterday from the credit-ratings provider. S&P has a BBB- rating on Cheshunt, England-based Tesco, one level above junk.

“We anticipate that Tesco’s profitability will continue to weaken as market competition in the U.K. remains high, possibly even intensifying over the next 12 months, perpetuating the burden on the group’s business risk profile,” S&P said in the statement explaining its action.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Venger what's the source on that one?Looks very interesting.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

What's the size of the fund that £85K guarantee comes from ? Is it £5 Billion ?

I assume it won't last long when the fan gets hit

since all the old fools have piled into btl and savers taxed earning been stolen though the q

e. theft the uk banks are probably safe now so this guarantee might only be needed for a small bank collapse.

even then...it might be stretched.

the old fools are f@@ked though

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere