House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
1 minute ago, markyh said:

Already own £28.5k worth in my SIPP that is up 36.5% in less than 2 months, has now overtaken Tesla to become my no.2 holding by Value.

Good work, but you can't add to it. Basically it's a forced hodl on us

Microstrategy is the only way I can't think of getting it in the pension

HOLA442
1 minute ago, Londonkid said:

Good work, but you can't add to it. Basically it's a forced hodl on us

Microstrategy is the only way I can't think of getting it in the pension

With over $1b BTC bought between $9k and $21k its a good BTC proxy ETF.  There is a good chance MS might use a bit in 5-10 years time to buy other good companies to bring into MS fold. Wont be short of money. 

HOLA443
19 minutes ago, Londonkid said:

This is getting crazy, these alts are blowing up.

Close to the magical 7 figures, probably get there by tomorrow - glad I got into lend/aave at cents no £83. Vechain and swissborg at X10

Very happy with link and LTC at $3

Thanks to Max Keisser for this as I was introduced to BTC for him.

I'm not a tax dodger so happy to pay my share of capital gains

If you still want BTC in pension, micro strategy is a good way of getting it in

Out of interest did you hold BTC on December 1st 2019 for the HEX snapshot, and Freeclaim on December 3rd 2019?   I did and my Hex is now worth £1400 as my 1st interest staking period ends tonight at Midnight. lovely little BTC Freemium that ended 30th Nov 2020.

HOLA444
3 minutes ago, markyh said:

Out of interest did you hold BTC on December 1st 2019 for the HEX snapshot, and Freeclaim on December 3rd 2019?   I did and my Hex is now worth £1400 as my 1st interest staking period ends tonight at Midnight. lovely little BTC Freemium that ended 30th Nov 2020.

That's actually really good. I've not even bothered to look at hex as it seems to be some Ponzi. However, if you have free money, enjoy it

HOLA445
6 minutes ago, Londonkid said:

That's actually really good. I've not even bothered to look at hex as it seems to be some Ponzi. However, if you have free money, enjoy it

It's actually interested barring @ 20%p/a, so i'm compounding it for 5 years and see what happens. But it is no more a ponzi than XRP or any other Alt that had a Airdrop / Freeclaim. I quite like it. 

Any, thanks for the HEX bonus, those that didn't freeclaim, their unclaimed HEX from the claim pool was shared between everyone who did claim up to 30th Nov 2020, BIGPAYDAY. 👍

HOLA446
1 hour ago, elephant said:

You pay CGT at the same rate as your income tax rate.  So as a basic rate tax payer I would basically ‘only’ pay 20% (or less on some of it if I’ve not used up my basic allowance for the year) CGT after allowances, even if my profit was £1million on bitcoin.  I’d be quite happy with £800k profit after tax 🤷‍♂️

That seems like a big loophole.  Are you sure the £1m capital gains profit doesn't itself push you into the 40% bracket even if your income doesn't?

HOLA447
HOLA448
4 minutes ago, dannyf said:

That seems like a big loophole.  Are you sure the £1m capital gains profit doesn't itself push you into the 40% bracket even if your income doesn't?

Pretty sure my understanding is right but happy to be corrected.

From HMRC...

”If this amount is within the basic Income Tax bandyou’ll pay 10% on your gains (or 18% on residential property). You’ll pay 20% (or 28% on residential property) on any amount above the basic tax rate.”

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/rates

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
7 minutes ago, longgone said:

i would be more interested what`s making it go up, and so late after decimation and boom of the stock market ?

you may get answers there. 

More and bigger buyers than is avaialble for sale. Simple supply and demand as we predicted. We have a 20% crash already, $35k to $27k, lasted six hours before it was back to $33k, now less than 3 days later, above $35k. 

Welcome to Bull run 2021..............................the Institutions. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 minute ago, markyh said:

More and bigger buyers than is avaialble for sale. Simple supply and demand as we predicted. We have a 20% crash already, $35k to $27k, lasted six hours before it was back to $33k, now less than 3 days later, above $35k. 

Welcome to Bull run 2021..............................the Institutions. 

squeaky bum time if it reaches you remaining mortgage amount  after CGT though i imagine. 20 years drip feeding or instant guaranteed freedom, tough decision. 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Just now, longgone said:

squeaky bum time if it reaches you remaining mortgage amount  after CGT though i imagine. 20 years drip feeding or instant guaranteed freedom, tough decision. 

Not really, target is clear. Has to be really life changing. 50% has to equal outstanding mortgage, wife wants a £200k extension with basement Cinema room and GSHP in 2025.  I'm not working to 67 to pay for that. looking at semi retirement lifestyle business from 2022-2036. 

Happy to wait another cycle until 2025 if not this year. Cant touch my pension yet for a few years, and 1/3rd of my Crypto is in my SIPP. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
4 minutes ago, longgone said:

🤣

could be worse you could have £3m quid worth of land in Nicosia and a house stolen by the turks in the 70`s. 

Famangusta is it? That deserted resort now on the Turkish side you can take a boat trip to see, sunbeds and umbrellas still on the beach unused.  I believe technically they are still at war?

HOLA4425
20 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

No. I roughly remember it's:

12,300 is tax free

then 37,000 is 10%.

Then 950,000 total is 20%.

Where did £950000 threshold come from?  The HMRC page I linked to above doesn’t mention it and I can’t find anything on the net that refers to it.