House Price Crash Forum

Favourite Tanks Thread

StuG III

HOLA441

As an homage to the favourite military march thread, post your favourite tank!

You might guess that I'm a fan of StuGIII, a real cutie

stugiiigir_5.jpg

But then there's something very human about Matilda, the way she waddles and lurches

Matilda-Tank-1-1024x768.jpg

And in common with Matilda is the trusty Valentine, an elegant girl to the Matilda's buxom wenchiness.... and both small enough to fit on your driveway at home!

5878059206_fb2a1f5660_z.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

As mentioned on the military march thread, if you were one of those kids who was into tanks before you fully comprehended what tanks do, this is a little bit special...

Japan and the internet. Like coffee and a cigarette.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

As an homage to the favourite military march thread, post your favourite tank!

You might guess that I'm a fan of StuGIII, a real cutie

It doesn't have a rotating turret. As far as I could make out, after you posted a video a month ago of a tank fully submerged in a Russian bog and being pulled out after decades, looking like new, you have to drive it in the direction you want to fire in. When I looked it up on Wikipedia it said it was some sort of medium armoured mobile assault gun used a lot for tank destroying.

sshot215.png

No, I've changed my mind. Sheila the Tank, from Red vs Blue. "You killed Church you team-killing ****tard"

HOLA448

It doesn't have a rotating turret. As far as I could make out, after you posted a video a month ago of a tank fully submerged in a Russian bog and being pulled out after decades, looking like new, you have to drive it in the direction you want to fire in. When I looked it up on Wikipedia it said it was some sort of medium armoured mobile assault gun used a lot for tank destroying.

It used a well proven chasis from the Panzer III and discarded the turret to mount a gun. They didnt belong to the panzer corps and were owned by the infantry - initially they mounted short barreled howitzers for infantry support. Hence the name Sturmgeschütz III. An assault gun mount of the PzIII chasis.

Discarding the turret saved on weight so eventually they morphed into tank killers with a thickly armoured front and long barreled anti-tank guns. Not having a turret also gave a low silhouette but although here was some lateral movement in the gun mounting but not much. This made them good defensively but poor on the attack. Given the situation for the latter years of the war, its not surprising that these destroyed more Armour collectively than the more feared and famous panzers.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I don't have a favourite tank, but when I was a kid and riding along in the back seat of the family car I'd sometimes day dream about being in a tank with side attachments that had wide scythes/blades that would rip up all the hedges, signs, telegraph poles, walls and damage houses and so on, imagining we were in a enemy country during a war.

Not sure if that makes me some sort of nutter or not.:blink::(:)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I don't have a favourite tank, but when I was a kid and riding along in the back seat of the family car I'd sometimes day dream about being in a tank with side attachments that had wide scythes/blades that would rip up all the hedges, signs, telegraph poles, walls and damage houses and so on, imagining we were in a enemy country during a war.

Not sure if that makes me some sort of nutter or not.:blink::(:)

Not a Stridsvagn 103 for you then.

Something more like the Sherman 'Rhino' special, with hedgerow cutting accoutrements...

2mxkcj7.jpg

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

My favorite has to be the one I had over my girlfriend's thrupenny bits.

But was you thinking about tanks at the time?

Unless it has a rotating turret where the main arm can be precision aimed to take out other tanks, then it is not a tank. These fixed barrel models are Self Propelled guns and are more area denial weapons as in artillery.

Unless of course the enemy do them a favour driving straight up their front....

This would be my choice.. Not going to name it here but if I were to say we sat on the German Plains for years crapping ourselves these were coming over the hill you will get an idea who owns it.

Oh how these armour recognition lectures were such fun....

t80ud-01l.jpg

HOLA4418

When I was a kid obsessed with airfix model building, my favourite AFVs were the SU-100 and Jagdpanther - they looked so mean and purposeful.

I went to a tank museum in France a few years back though, and they had German and allied tanks with holes punched in them, or shells welded half into the armour. It brought home the horrific deaths that the crews must have experienced (and how crap the Sherman was). It must have been bricking it time if you were in a Sherman or a foxhole with a Tiger 2 or a Panther coming at you.

800px-SU_100_czech_republic.jpg

800px-Jagdpanzer_V_Jagdpanther_1.jpg

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I was at the East Lancs Railway War Weekend on Saturday, saw this little fella on the back of a train....anyone know what it is?

Photo25-05-2013163449.jpg

Here's the Northwest military collectors people killing sneaky germans... The blank rounds they were firing smelt just like the cap guns I had as a kid :D

Shame that even here it seemed to be USA vs germany. The only renactors dressed as British were all as Homegaurds Dad's army style.

Photo25-05-2013144246.jpg

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I was at the East Lancs Railway War Weekend on Saturday, saw this little fella on the back of a train....anyone know what it is?

Photo25-05-2013163449.jpg

Here's the Northwest military collectors people killing sneaky germans... The blank rounds they were firing smelt just like the cap guns I had as a kid :D

Shame that even here it seemed to be USA vs germany. The only renactors dressed as British were all as Homegaurds Dad's army style.

Photo25-05-2013144246.jpg

Abbott self propelled gun I think.

HOLA4425

Archived