House Price Crash Forum

Facebook

HOLA441
  • Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

You're 'avin' a laugh... That would require competent people in HMRC.

It would only take one competant person....Zuckerberg and his team would love to help.....for a fee.

I think the US is actually a lot more damaged than we are from the tax point of view, so starting there would be good.

And as the old saying goes, why have one Government project when you can have two for twice the price.

Wheres my broker?

HOLA443
  • 5 weeks later...
HOLA444

""Facebook was not originally created to be a company," Zuckerbeg said at the time of the stock market float. "It was built to accomplish a social mission — to make the world more open and connected."

Sounds like ******** to me based on this report. Also UK staff costs tripled (though not sure if the revenues also tripled) with according to that article £275K average per employee head.

I like the new experimental in th US pay $7 to promote events to friends.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA445

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/9630860/Facebook-shares-soar-22pc-on-mobile-hopes.html

Facebook shares look set for their best ever day after signs the social networking site can make money from its mobile users sparked a buying frenzy.

The shares soared 22.3pc - or $4.34 - to $23.84 at the start of trading on Wall Street on Wednesday. Investors were scrambling for shares after Facebook last night revealed much faster growth in mobile advertising revenues than anyone had expected. Adverts on mobile devices accounted for 14pc of the $1.09bn in advertising revenues that Facebook made in the third quarter.

The appetite for Facebook shares in in sharp contrast to the company's troubled track record on Wall Street since its much hyped $104bn flotation in May. Before last night's third-quarter results, Facebook shares had slumped 50pc from the $38 for which they were first sold.

Mark Zuckerberg, the company's founder and chief executive, has been under severe pressure to convince investors that it can generate profits from the more than 600m people who access their Facebook page on mobile devices. There is concern that adverts on phones and tablets, rather than desktop PCs, will prove irritating to users and therefore less valuable to advertisers.

"The mobile 'problem' may be put to rest," said Brian Wieser, an analyst at analyst at Pivotal Research. "We think the narrative put forward by many observers around problems monetising mobile consumption of the Facebook platform may be put to rest with these figures."

Making money from its mobile users is an increasingly urgent priority for Facebook because they are its fastest-growing group of customers. They accounted for 600m of the just over 1bn users the site had at the end of September, a jump of 61pc from the same quarter in 2011.

On a call with Wall Street analysts, Mr Zuckerberg insisted he was out to explode the "myth" that Facebook cannot make money from people who visit the site on mobile devices. He said the company had overhauled the way it integrates adverts into the site. "What we're bascially doing is we've told every product team that they are responsible for coming up with ads in their products," he said.

The encouraging advertising sales overshadowed the $59m loss the company made in the quarter

Hurrah!! they have worked out how to make money from people who use their "free" service.

they have now put on record that they are just in it now to make money from its users, nothing else.

HOLA446
HOLA447

http://www.telegraph...bile-hopes.html

Hurrah!! they have worked out how to make money from people who use their "free" service.

they have now put on record that they are just in it now to make money from its users, nothing else.

makes you wonder why Zuckerperson took it public when it is making over a billion in revenues per quarter.....

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

http://www.businessinsider.com/sheryl-sandberg-just-got-a-790-million-paycheck-2012-10

Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg joined the company in April 2008.

She built it into a business generating $5 billion per year, worth $55 billion.

And now she's very, very rich.

On Friday, at 9:30 PM, 34 million restricted stock units vested in Sandberg's name.

At $23.21 per share, the paycheck was worth $790 million.

• 6 months later...
HOLA4411

Hi

FB is back to ~$24, from the $19 low. Still may below the $38 IPO price. This (long) article describes said IPO and the Wall Street sharks.

"Facebook, One Year Later: What Really Happened in the Biggest IPO Flop Ever

After Facebook's disastrous debut, the preferred clients of big banks walked away with huge profits. How? Public documents and interviews with dozens of investment bankers and research analysts reveal that the Street caught wind of something the public didn't. The social network and the banks told half the story. Here is the other half. "

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/05/facebook-one-year-later-what-really-happened-in-the-biggest-ipo-flop-ever/275987/

I dont have much sympathy for Uma Swaminathan who is snivelling that her purchase tanked and is (vainly) squealing for compensation: however interesting to see the whole IPO scam in full.

HOLA4412

Research a few years ago showed that if you invested in every IPO for one day you would have made a 16% return, so surely they are great investments? However, research also showed that if you invested in every IPO that a normal investor was actually able to invest in then the return would have been 0% i.e. exactly what you would expect - some wins and some losses.

It is this sort of thing that banks should be held accountable for not a lot of the other stuff that people go on and on about.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

My own personal experience is that I'm using it less and less and people I know are using it less and less.

Then again, it could be because more and more of the stuff reaching my feed is advertisements which I hardly ever used to see .. presumably exactly what's making investors happy. It's just making me use the service less and I've never followed up on any advertisements that I see.

HOLA4415

fools to the pumps

Also goes for the advertisers too! You don't go onto a "social" site to be sold stuff!

I don't think a hydraulic fittings manufacturer in Sheffield is my "friend"!

Google might be different! I go there to find out about buying stuff! :blink:

HOLA4416

I keep getting chased by a woman who apparently lives near me. She has amazed doctors with her revolutionary wrinkle removal trick. I am so sick of the sight of her, Barbour coats and Interflora that my posting on fb has dropped to about a third of what it was a year ago. Same for many friends also.

I will not buy anything that greets me on fb. That is not what it is for... :angry:

HOLA4417

The article says:

"FB's massive audience should be irresistible to brand advertisers as the company preps to launch 15-second video ads, which could be Facebook's next billion-dollar business," analysts at Jefferies & Co wrote in a note.

I'm thinking:

http://www.wired.com/business/2012/12/facebook-video-ads/

Just google 'is facebook dead' and it's clear that the site is already in the process of a big demographic change and falling in reputation with younger generations. It will no doubt remain profitable for some time, but the increasing amount of advertising and old fashioned design will take it's toll eventually. Competitors have been poaching users for some time and facebook know it considering their purchase of Instagram. I'd hate to be a shareholder - wishing it would hit $39 just so I could get out unscathed.

HOLA4418
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
  • 9 months later...
HOLA4424

Jul 16, 2014: $67.57

52 week low: $25.60
52 week high: $72.59

Facebook's (NASDAQ: FB) second-quarter results are widely expected to reveal strong performance when the company reports July 23.

SunTrust's Robert Peck reiterated a Buy rating and $72 target Wednesday, forecasting second-quarter earnings of $0.33 per share on revenue of $2.86 billion. The Street consensus calls for $0.32 and $2.8 billion in revenue.

Facebook shares are up nearly 30 percent year to date, notwithstanding Federal Reserve chair Janet Yellen's remarks Tuesday that social media stocks are "stretched."

in full: http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/14/07/4706025/suntrust-facebook-looking-at-strong-q2-future-growth

I don't think the Fed should even hint to market participants about what is value or not - (including apparent comments about social media and bio-science sectors).

It's for market participants, including the all the victim buyers in other markets who have been bailed out. Yellen should just be ensuring financial institutions have enough capital, haven't overleveraged to borrower victims, to cope when markets turn.

Doesn't seem like her comments have had that much of an effect on the markets, who may doubt the Fed's view. I've got no handle on valuing social media stocks, at all; advertising and all other theories about how they monetise userbase for future revenue.

HOLA4425