House Price Crash Forum

Noisy Neighbours

WorkingForTheMan

HOLA441

I appreciate that. I was just pointing out they are powerless to act although some more sympathetic coppers might knock on the neighbours door and ask them to turn it down

I live next door to a copper and he has noise problems with his neighbour (not me - other side of terrace). He regularly goes round and bangs on their door asking them (none too nicely) to turn the f***ing music off! Not in an offical capacity of course but it seems to work. Until the next time of course.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Eventually my wife and I moved out (although he'd gone by that point). Having said all that, the grass isn't necessarily that much greener now (I would have thought your being in a penthouse would have shielded you from most of it).

Not at all. In my last place used to feel sorry for some of the penthouse owners, due to the rowdy BTL tenants below and used to think "glad I don't live there." Well I did live there, but further away. The BTL tenants can and will eventually be moved on. Owner occupiers are somewhat stuck with it.

HOLA446

I guess most peeps who have lived in a high density area have had this at some time ......... especially converted houses into flats ....the environmental officer is a waste of time .....

I learnt to sleep with inear phones with ambient music playing ( the rubber plug ones for a good seal and you can turn your head on the pillow) ...... as wax plugs only reduces not cuts the noise ......all night ..fall asleep with it playing

I complained directly to a bunch once ......(DHS) ...which resulted in them putting on the hifi to full blast with agadoo or the effin birdy song ...on repeat ..then pissing off down the pub for a few hours .....every friday night for about a month .....then there is a the continued abuse when they go past your door ...or just banging it

If your renting ...try it on with the landlord about a rent reduction if he has no intention of dealing with the situation ...It may motivate him ....but in the end ...I guess move , stating the reasons why and putting it to him hes going to have the same problem too who ever he re rents to

not much help Im afraid ...and its a real bummer if the pad you have is a real nice one apart from this

HOLA447

There is a device - costs a few hundred quid - that emmits a high pitched noise that only younger people can hear. It is quite controversial as shops have been sticking them outside to stop teenagers loitering.

It came on the market just as I was about to move but, at the time, I seriously considered buying one and putting it on a timer in my house facing the wall of the adjoining property where I had students. I thought if they would keep me up at nights I would keep them up in the morning.

Top of my list for house buying is peace. One of the reasons I have stayed renting where I am for so long is because it is quiet in the night. Nothing.

HOLA448

There is a device - costs a few hundred quid - that emmits a high pitched noise that only younger people can hear. It is quite controversial as shops have been sticking them outside to stop teenagers loitering.

It came on the market just as I was about to move but, at the time, I seriously considered buying one and putting it on a timer in my house facing the wall of the adjoining property where I had students. I thought if they would keep me up at nights I would keep them up in the morning.

Top of my list for house buying is peace. One of the reasons I have stayed renting where I am for so long is because it is quiet in the night. Nothing.

Wouldn't work with a wall between device and target audience as high frequency noise attenuated by mass much more readily than low frequency noise.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Is that the Mosquito?

Is there a bonus in that if they complain to the old bill, when they come around they won't hear anything? It would only be a matter of time before one of the students MV tasered you though.

I agree about peace and quiet (my number one factor when looking at places). Unfortunately it typically carries a heavy premium.

HOLA4411

Have you spoken with the other neighbour OP? Might be able to unite your forces.

Having lived in flats in the past, the thing I really used to hate was the people in the flat above moving furniture around. I suggest you do that above their bedroom at the times they are sleeping (I presume during the day), particularly if you take carpets up and wear clogs. Also get a serious subwoofer/s and place above their bedroom, put on some very bassy music, and then go out. They might eventually get the message but suspect moving's your best option.

HOLA4412

Yes i've had this and would never go near a flat again.

Not just problem neighbours, audio and TV equipment these days is insanely loud and invasive.

Ear plugs work to some extent, you have to roll them thinly in your fingers like a cig(?) , and push in as deep as possible. Sometimes can't get them out too easily though and you are at a meeting at work next morning half deaf. Then you think, why should I alter my habits? They are in the wrong.

You complain to the landlord, he says he will have a word, you try to get the neighbours on your side, but this is UK - they would rather not get involved.

Going round to complain is difficult - I bet you have had the classic reply 'get a life'.

HOLA4413

Had noisy and abusive neighbours for EIGHT YEARS!

Living hell - nothing gets done - that's the conclusion. We stayed and my dad went to some drastic measures (like climbing through their open window during a party and turning off the music, daring anybody to f*** with him lolv There's not much can be done - the officials DO NOT CARE and the tenants DO NOT CARE.

I was going to say that this is the big reason I would never buy a flat (as well as maintenance fees) but to be honest scum like the type you describe are prevalent in the UK, and it's one of the reasons I'd be reluctant to buy ANYTHING in the UK (that didn't cost an arm and a leg).

I say move - if you don't, you'll start taking risks. Though I would be tempted to make their lives hell for a while out of spite.

HOLA4414

At my last BTL place I did stop the noisy tramp next door from holding parties by mentioning to a neighbour that if she had another one I would empty all the rubbish skips onto her car and would contact her landlord and trace her employer. I don't know why I said that exactly, but it was after a night where I had been forced to stay in a local B&B.

The noise was so loud it actually brought a picture off the wall. She still held the odd party but they were relatively noiseless affairs. Making threats is high risk strategy and not recommended, and you have to be prepared to follow through on them!

Your neighbours must sleep sometime however, and that is a good time to get the retaliation in. The problem when starting out on revenge is to dig two graves however, and only to be undertaken when you have resigned yourself that you will have to move.

HOLA4415

In my experience you're not guaranteed any less noise being in a house with thick walls. Just a bit less chance than a flat.

I once lived in an old stone terrace with walls 3 feet thick ( I know - I had to drill a hole through once, it was hard work.) But when the benefits b*tch next door was screaming at her kids it sounded like I was in the room with her.

Only way to win is move. All other options are more stress, less result. That's the beautiful part of renting. I feel quite sorry for some of my nice ex neighbours still stuck paying the mortgage next to the problem neighbours I've left long behind.

HOLA4416

It is one beauty of renting I guess and I won’t be buying until I’ve enough for a detached.

I would’ve had a similar situation if it weren’t for the fact the LL was a complete bitch and I’d already handed my notice in. There was a young couple that got stationed next door to me (this is in new build terrace housing, don’t think it’s any better than being in a flat) who seemed to like going to town and then playing music for a few hours when they got in, and arguing (one memorable night he told her to ‘put the fkkn phone down’ – you had to be there.)

Had a month or so of it where I am now as well but the guy got so toked one night and had mental issues that the authorities took him away.

I find a good portion of sauce per day helps sleep through any other noise related issues (pretty close to a busy road where I’m at, sirens, smoke alarms etc.)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Firstly, my sympathies. I know what it is like, having lived in flats in London for several years.

Secondly, take it up with the landlord. Many contracts have a clause about not causing disturbance. Tell the landlord, with evidence if necessary, about the problem.

If nothing is done after a while, tell him you will move (and that you will feel obliged to tell any prospective tenants who come to look round the property about the problem also).

This worked for me; the offending tenants were evicted (this particular case was noise and mess from a dog).

Do your best to get neighbours on your side as well. Chavs and troublemakers are often like pack animals, they back down if they realise the rest of the 'pack' are united in hostility to them.

HOLA4419

I live in a small block of converted flats. I live in the top (penthouse!) flat, so have 2 neighbours below me.

If I was really pushed, I might just forget to turn the bath or kitchen taps off and have a little flooding mishap. Water can do horrible things to other peoples ceilings :D

Alternatively as mentioned, you can get the council round and they'll test the noise level. If it's excessive they'll write a cease and desist letter to them, which may or may not work.

HOLA4420

This sounds shit.

This is why I live in a house. I wouldn't trust myself to do something very stupid indeed to those people concerned.

got a friend who bought an executive 5 bedroom house on a small new build estate with a mix of 3 bedrooms and upwards .......not all the units sold....... so a social housing company moved in and picked the last few in the street cheap ...and filled them with teenage chaves with prams .........(valley commando's)

complaints resulted in an upturn of constant uberchav behaviour ....what was originally an aspirational move turned into shit and stress in months

its not just flats ....at least with sink estates it keeps them ghettoised ...... social-housing into the community doesn't work for that local community ...perhaps there should be an humanities exam to pass before they are allowed out into population

HOLA4421

I live next door to a copper and he has noise problems with his neighbour (not me - other side of terrace). He regularly goes round and bangs on their door asking them (none too nicely) to turn the f***ing music off! Not in an offical capacity of course but it seems to work. Until the next time of course.

My ex did that for me when I was living in a share flat in East Dulwich. He, a well built firefighter, hammered on the offender's flat door when the regular (4/5 nights weekly) music started up at 1.30 am. He loudly threatened to come back and throw the stereo out of the window if the guy ever did it again. Immediate silence. A cheer went up fromost if the other flats and we never heard him again! :)

HOLA4422

got a friend who bought an executive 5 bedroom house on a small new build estate with a mix of 3 bedrooms and upwards .......not all the units sold....... so a social housing company moved in and picked the last few in the street cheap ...and filled them with teenage chaves with prams .........(valley commando's)

complaints resulted in an upturn of constant uberchav behaviour ....what was originally an aspirational move turned into shit and stress in months

its not just flats ....at least with sink estates it keeps them ghettoised ...... social-housing into the community doesn't work for that local community ...perhaps there should be an humanities exam to pass before they are allowed out into population

Avoid new build

HOLA4423

Valley commandos, good, old-fashioned, South Welsh VCs.

Can't beat them.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I had a similar thing when I owned my last place. Had noisy chav renter neighbours (adjoining wall). Went on for ages until I snapped one night, went around to see them, faced up to all three and flattened the biggest looking one of them with a vey hard punch square on to his face.

Never heard a peep after that.

Am sure people here (in the comfort of their armchairs) will warn against it, but i'd got to the point where a short spell inside for ABH would have meant a better night's sleep, so was happy to risk it.

The problem stems from these people 'knowing their rights' and thinking that you wouldn't dare sink to their level. Well feck 'em. Either hit them hard, or pay £200 for some Romanian Gypsy family to do it for you (just make sure it's £100 up front then the remaining £100 after the job is done).

Archived