House Price Crash Forum

£100600Pa

papag

HOLA441
HOLA442

WTF :o tip of iceberg or benefits office oversight , one thing for certain I'm sick to the teeth reading examples like this on a regular basis

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/293589/Family-s-106-000-a-year-benefit-just-to-pay-rent

That should be stopped. Housing benefit should be renamed Land Lord benefit.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Hundreds of other scroungers are understood to have raked in similar sums to allow them to live in properties that most hard-working families could never dream of inhabiting.

Instead of just calling the people living there scroungers, they should call the landlords scroungers too.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm sick of hearing 'hard working families'. Just another sound-bite which sounds good. What about 'hard working singles'?

Politicians couldn't care less about under 35s because the majority of the electorate is over 40. The use of "families" instead of "people" is a subtle admission of this fact.

HOLA448
HOLA449

The only way to end the scams is to end the schemes.

Replace all benefits with a negative income tax or citizens income. No child related benefits. Introduce a progressive land value tax and end SMI, end the requirement for builders to build social housing, and sell off all council housing and end subsidies to housing associations.

The market will then be left to allocate housing and people will get the housing that they deserve.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Politicians couldn't care less about under 35s because the majority of the electorate is over 40. The use of "families" instead of "people" is a subtle admission of this fact.

I think it was Gordon Brown who initiated this phoney and silly cliche in an effort to ingratiate himself with core electorate. Much good it did him. Since then, I've heard Cameron use the term as well.

HOLA4412

Income is pre determined by household size, age and geographical location.

With me turning 25 this year I get a very big pay rise, it will outstrip inflation for sure!

Just a shame I was penalised in the first place.

Onwards and upwards eh, you can reach pension credit age too one day! You can claim pension credit at the age woman retire, even if your a bloke. So labour had effectively reduced retirement age to 60 for men. The funny thing is, when you get to retirement age they up your tax allowance, right when thy decrease your incentive to work!

HOLA4413

God knows how much in total this family/woman is getting out of the system one can only guess at around 150k per year tax free, would like to know exactly how much she or her partner has contributed during their stay on Treasure Island :angry:

HOLA4414

God knows how much in total this family/woman's landlord is getting out of the system one can only guess at around 150k per year tax free, would like to know exactly how much she or her partner has contributed during their stay on Treasure Island :angry:

Corrected for you.

HOLA4415

my brother was diagnosed with mental illness (bipolar) some years back he gets benefits housing +incapacity ,the paranoia and depression that he suffers even with medication prevents him from going out and socializing so he doesn't spend much ,this is a good thing because the house he rents costs £480 per month he pays £70 towards this housing benefit pay the difference of £410. in his better days he worked as a 1st and 2nd fix carpenter and payed tax every year.

he is British and looking for a place in st johns wood please CAN YOU FIX IT FOR HIM JIM.

HOLA4416

Such a huge figure that the OP got the numbers muddled up in the thread title. Thats not a dig at the OP, its a reflection of the enormity and absurdity of HB.

How can we as a country give such vast sums away and believe we are helping claimants (who will never come off benefits and maintain such a lifestyle) or the taxpayer?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

God knows how much in total this family/woman is getting out of the system one can only guess at around 150k per year tax free, would like to know exactly how much she or her partner has contributed during their stay on Treasure Island :angry:

It is not treasure island just the remnants of the Blair/Brown fantasy island.

HOLA4419

I think it was Gordon Brown who initiated this phoney and silly cliche in an effort to ingratiate himself with core electorate. Much good it did him. Since then, I've heard Cameron use the term as well.

Pretty sure Clinton was doing it long before Brown. Much of New Labour was modelled on the New Democrats. They also pioneered tax credits for low paid workers with children.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I think what every should be looking at is WHY, not omg etc... the reason why they are paid so much is one simple thing, the lack of social homes, specially the lack of council run homes.

Its the governments fault not the peoples, the government under Labour and conservatives said if we privatize housing it'll be cheaper, yer cheaper for who? the problem is each government can do what ever they want to, knowing full well there is no comeback in the future.

British governments need to be held accountable.

No social homes = higher rents= state dependance= less economic activity= long term recession.

The economy all comes down to cheap housing for workers.

Edited by crash2006

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I'm sick of hearing 'hard working families'. Just another sound-bite which sounds good. What about 'hard working singles'?

They would come under the designation of "cash cow".

I heard the interview on the radio yesterday about HB, and the BBC were propagandizing about families living on the street and so on. The expert being interviewed then claimed that families are disproportionately hit as they have more members, and that ethnic families are even more disproportionately hit because they have more children than whites. Errr, surely then they are being proportionately hit, or maybe he thinks singles should live in hostels while these massive ethnic families keep their 6 bedroom house. :blink:

Edited by Britney's Piers

HOLA4424

The article states that there are four families in central London who have received the maximum LHA rate for some period during the 2010/11 financial year.

Since April 2011 the five bedroom LHA rate has been abolished and a cap of £400.00 per week has been placed on 4 bedroom LHA rates.

As only four families ever received the maximum 5 bed LHA rate I would suggest that the issue has been over reported for the effect it has on shifting the debate away the majority of ordinary bog standard claims which will be less than £100.00 per week.

The four families concerned were most likely housed on a temporary basis in these properties by the Local Authority homelessness service discharging it's statutory duty to house a homeless family presenting a genuine need. Due to the cap the central London LA's will now presumably be either shipping out homeless cases to outer boroughs, or if required to house within borough absorbing shortfalls between private rents and HB from their own budgets on a very short term basis.

As an earlier poster noted, if central London LA's constructed any social housing in the last thirty years this would not have been happening.

HOLA4425