House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
5 hours ago, Gbob said:

Gold wouldn't usually beat the stock market though because of the effect of dividends reinvested. That's my biggest problem with gold, that it doesn't pay any income until you sell it. Just sits there looking pretty.

Just sits there looking pretty whilst all other currencies lost value against it.😁

I see in 2006 the footsie100 was 5,900 and is now 7,400 so hardly a stellar return. As for investing all those dividends is that all subject to tax? My gold attacts no tax when buying ior selling.

HOLA442
5 hours ago, nero120 said:

I'm amazed that people struggle to understand the concept that gold is not an investment, it is MONEY. I mean, it's only been around for 2500+ years, yet people seem far more sure about noncecoin.

Then again, when people these days struggle with the concept of "woman" it's actually not that surprising.

It's a shame you guys didn't invest in salt. Because your levels are off the chart. 😂😂😂😂

HOLA443
HOLA444
3 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

It's a shame you guys didn't invest in salt. Because your levels are off the chart. 😂😂😂😂

The hilarious thing is, you're so lacking in self awareness that you don't even realise what is says about you coming in to the gold thread desperately attempting to brag (like anyone cares) after noncecoin (finally) gets back to nominal ATHs (shame about that inflation).

Then again, it's basically the same for all sh1tcoins isn't it? So noncecoin isn't really special is it? I mean, I could just buy b1tchcoin and make a gazillion dollars right? But that's only because it is actually really valuable and important and central banks are right about to start buying it up any minute now!!

Muppet.

HOLA445
On 09/03/2024 at 14:45, Fishfinger said:

I bought in 2006 at £320 per oz and it's now £1,695- that's over 500% rise so I'm happy with that!

Are you sure your date is right ?.... I bought my 1st ounce 2005 @£380.

HOLA446
HOLA447
On 11/03/2024 at 01:21, headmelter said:

Are you sure your date is right ?.... I bought my 1st ounce 2005 @£380.

The price of gold in the first quarter of 2006 was between £300-320ish and that's the period I  bought in as highlighted.

Sovereigns were also £80 odd as well...

image.thumb.png.6bb6e4b2d22773ecb3a44f7d6124ea59.png

HOLA448
On 13/03/2024 at 13:37, Fishfinger said:

The price of gold in the first quarter of 2006 was between £300-320ish and that's the period I  bought in as highlighted.

Sovereigns were also £80 odd as well...

image.thumb.png.6bb6e4b2d22773ecb3a44f7d6124ea59.png

the first coins I bought were Au Lunars for Headmelter junior 1 & 2 so it could have been around the peak after you had bought so may have been 06 instead of 05 as jr number 2 was born in Q4 2005... Must hunt out my receipts & check the dates.... I remember buying sovereigns @£88 some time after buying a couple of Brits... so my timeframe may be out..... Am I really getting this old ? 

Edited by headmelter

HOLA449
HOLA4410
On 14/03/2024 at 16:17, headmelter said:

the first coins I bought were Au Lunars for Headmelter junior 1 & 2 so it could have been around the peak after you had bought so may have been 06 instead of 05 as jr number 2 was born in Q4 2005... Must hunt out my receipts & check the dates.... I remember buying sovereigns @£88 some time after buying a couple of Brits... so my timeframe may be out..... Am I really getting this old ? 

Interestingly I used and inflation tool calculator and gold should only be £513 per oz

image.png.3ba51d7772e87c86542464c18105a204.png

image.png

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Yeah still 3 expected rate cuts this year... but I think they're just feathering the market. I think we'll get higher rates this year because of war. Rates always rise with war.

Gold's starting to feel really healthy again... it's started to react to market conditions as it had in `the good old days.`

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
On 3/10/2024 at 6:45 PM, nero120 said:

The hilarious thing is, you're so lacking in self awareness that you don't even realise what is says about you coming in to the gold thread desperately attempting to brag (like anyone cares) after noncecoin (finally) gets back to nominal ATHs (shame about that inflation).

Then again, it's basically the same for all sh1tcoins isn't it? So noncecoin isn't really special is it? I mean, I could just buy b1tchcoin and make a gazillion dollars right? But that's only because it is actually really valuable and important and central banks are right about to start buying it up any minute now!!

Muppet.

No. The hilarious thing is, you're so lacking in self awareness that you don't even realise what is says about you repeatedly posting in to the gold thread desperately attempting to brag (like anyone cares) after GOLD (finally) gets back to nominal ATHs after 13 YEARSS (sucks to be you about that inflation though). 👏👏👏👏

HOLA4423
5 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

No. The hilarious thing is, you're so lacking in self awareness that you don't even realise what is says about you repeatedly posting in to the gold thread desperately attempting to brag (like anyone cares) after GOLD (finally) gets back to nominal ATHs after 13 YEARSS (sucks to be you about that inflation though). 👏👏👏👏

Didn't I tell you to get back in your hole?? No one gives a sh1t what you think fool.

HOLA4424

As long as you hold a medium to long term investment horizon - Gold is the safest investment on the planet. There is NOTHING better... it's lack of volatility is its strength - NOT, it's weakness.

Slow and steady wins the race.

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, warpig said:

As long as you hold a medium to long term investment horizon - Gold is the safest investment on the planet. There is NOTHING better... it's lack of volatility is its strength - NOT, it's weakness.

Slow and steady wins the race.

I don’t agree. For a medium to long term investment horizon (i.e younger people), you are better off holding higher risk but higher growth assets, and volatility can be very beneficial because it allows you to accumulate more during dips.

In my opinion what you said only makes sense if you already accumulated a lot and want to protect it over the longer term. E.g. you inherited a lot, or want to leave what you earned to your kids etc.