House Price Crash Forum

Special Relationship.......not

HOLA441

Openly no, although intelligence was given, the task force was re-supplied by the US navy and it was discussed and decided to loan the UK a full size carrier if a requested had come from the UK.

Pretty sickening this after backing the septics in 2 wars. But you got the signals from Clintons comments last year, i expect the heat to be turned up on the UK now.

noun /ˈseptik/ 

septics, plural

1. A drainage system incorporating a septic tank

adjective /ˈseptik/ 

1. (chiefly of a wound or a part of the body) Infected with bacteria
  2. Denoting a drainage system incorporating a septic tank

HOLA442
HOLA443

I would love this government to stand up to the Americans. Since Blair/Bush we have been seen as weak and obedient.

How do you purport we do that?

Britain can't even wipe it's own **** without first getting the permission of the Yanks.

Perhaps you need to learn something about Britain's very insignificant role in contemporary world politics.

As Britain fades into the pages of history, hurried along by our very increasing dependence on foreign energy which is both dominated and denominated by America and Russia, your idea that we will 'stand' up to America becomes ever more ridiculous.

The only thing that keeps America calling us in for avours is the willingness of our leaders and establishment to send your sons and daughters to death for the American globalist agenda.

HOLA444

Openly no, although intelligence was given, the task force was re-supplied by the US navy and it was discussed and decided to loan the UK a full size carrier if a requested had come from the UK.

Pretty sickening this after backing the septics in 2 wars. But you got the signals from Clintons comments last year, i expect the heat to be turned up on the UK now.

If that was the case Thatcher was an even bigger idiot than I realised, if I'd have had the option of loaning a US carrier I'd have took it. We probably would have lost less ships.

HOLA445

Ever wonder why the enemy air forces never get off the ground when they try and fight the USA and Coalition? Here is a hint:

Link

Its the reason why Europe must start to develop an independent European airforce, army and navy. Sound far fetched? Go read about the UK and France sharing carriers and the possible cancellation of F35 in favor of Rafale or a navalised Typhoon.

It is of course a special (one way) relationship. The USA does what's in its interests only.

Edited by bpw

HOLA446

I dont see what the fuss is about.. In these enlightened times maybe it'd be good for a Britain to return the favour and preside over giving America back to the native Indians

Edited by exiges

HOLA447

The problem is Argentina have no legitimate right to claim the Falklands, the same could not be said of the indigenous populations of all of America and Canada.

Lets be real this about one thing and it isn't sheep or penguins its oil.

HOLA448

noun /ˈseptik/ 

septics, plural

adjective /ˈseptik/ 

Yawn.

Bet your wife ******ing loves you, don't she.

HOLA449

Ever wonder why the enemy air forces never get off the ground when they try and fight the USA and Coalition? Here is a hint:

Link

Its the reason why Europe must start to develop an independent European airforce, army and navy. Sound far fetched? Go read about the UK and France sharing carriers and the possible cancellation of F35 in favor of Rafale or a navalised Typhoon.

It is of course a special (one way) relationship. The USA does what's in its interests only.

The US acts in Israel's interests and the UK acts in the US interest, so that puts us at the end of the Israel-US-UK human centipede.

Europe will never be anything other than a US satrap, Americans are gently but always consistently pushing for more and more EU integration and have been all along, since it makes the job of encircling Russia and Eurasia easier. The UK is just an oversize aircraft carrier to them.

Edited by Britney's Piers

HOLA4410

How do you purport we do that?

Britain can't even wipe it's own **** without first getting the permission of the Yanks.

Perhaps you need to learn something about Britain's very insignificant role in contemporary world politics.

As Britain fades into the pages of history, hurried along by our very increasing dependence on foreign energy which is both dominated and denominated by America and Russia, your idea that we will 'stand' up to America becomes ever more ridiculous.

The only thing that keeps America calling us in for avours is the willingness of our leaders and establishment to send your sons and daughters to death for the American globalist agenda.

OK, I would like to see Cameron make a solid statement in the Commons that despite what the Yanks suggest there will never be any discussions on the Falklands. Not ever !!.... Not unreasonable and would give the British public albeit small, a sense that we have passed the Poodle image we gained under Blair.

I share your views minus the insults :D .. I even enjoy Boris trying to sue the Americam Embassy for Millions in unpaid C-Charges. I would prefer we at least threw a stone at the tank instead of watching it roll over us. It's still gonna happen but lets have a bit of fecking pride.

Edit to add... I would still like to see England win the Football World cup. I will probably never see it in my lifetime but you can only dream.

Edited by Bosh

HOLA4411

in 1982 Argentina was a despot-ruled non-democratic militrary junta

now it is a young liberal democracy, it is easy to see, again, how USA can be more kind to it in its present guise

When it comes to Latin America, Uncle Sam has made it very clear that he prefers dealing with juntas rather than democracies.

HOLA4412

If that was the case Thatcher was an even bigger idiot than I realised, if I'd have had the option of loaning a US carrier I'd have took it. We probably would have lost less ships.

Borrowing a carrier was deemed impractical.

However the Yanks provided the latest Sidewinder missiles for the Harriers to use, that was practical, and highly effective. They also provided logistical support without which it simply wouldn't have happened. Wideawake Airfield on Ascension Island is mostly run and supplied by the Yanks. Without their support, we'd have been screwed. We asked for its use and we got it, no strings attached.

The Yanks were a bit embarassed publicly because in public they were allies of both the junta and Britain. However when the chips were down they did a lot to help us out. More than any other nation, including our European colleagues, the only one of which was even slightly helpful was France. The rest were downright obstructive.

Really the Falklands does not demonstrate the lessons anti-American europhiles wish, so it's a pretty bad example to bring up if you get into the facts of the matter.

The current chill in relations is due almost entirely to Obama, who is an **** of the highest order. Europeans should have thought twice before fawning over this eegit, because believe me, the feelings are not mutual.

Edited by EUBanana

HOLA4413

These fvcking argentinians never learn. Time to let them know that any threat will be met with a sustained nuclear attack on their country. It is the only language they will understand. And this message should be transmitted through their preferred diplomatic channels, the argentinean football association.

So hey Argies, give it up or we will fvck you so hard up the **** with nuclear weapons, you will think your sh1t filled mouths are hiroshima.

Or is that a bit much?

HOLA4414

to be honest i can understand why argentina want the island.

it would be pretty annoying if a country 5000 miles away, that really has no bearing on the local area, owned a small island sitting just off the coast of your country.

if it was argentina that, due to history, had a garrison and populated the whole of the isle of man or isle of wight we wouldnt sit that comfortably with it ourselves.

Edited by mfp123

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

if it was argentina that, due to history, had a garrison and populated the whole of the isle of man or isle of wight we wouldnt sit that comfortably with it ourselves.

There would be no garrison in the Falklands worthy of the name if Argentina hadn't tried to steal them.

Nor would Britain still own them if the Argentinian government hadn't been so freaking stupid as to invade shortly before the British government mothballed or sold off the military hardware required to take it back; a year later there would have been no way to recover them and the British government seemed fairly interested in a power-sharing deal that would eventually have handed the Falklands to Argentina anyway, so the invasion will go down in history as probably the dumbest prior to Bush's invasion of Iraq.

Now no British government can risk even talking to Argentina about the sovereignty of the Falklands for the next fifty years because they'd be kicked in the nuts at the next election. Either they'll be permanently garrisoned as the last vestige of the Empire, or Argentina will invade again and this time there'll be no military able to go and take them back.

HOLA4417

Borrowing a carrier was deemed impractical.

However the Yanks provided the latest Sidewinder missiles for the Harriers to use, that was practical, and highly effective. They also provided logistical support without which it simply wouldn't have happened. Wideawake Airfield on Ascension Island is mostly run and supplied by the Yanks. Without their support, we'd have been screwed. We asked for its use and we got it, no strings attached.

The Yanks were a bit embarassed publicly because in public they were allies of both the junta and Britain. However when the chips were down they did a lot to help us out. More than any other nation, including our European colleagues, the only one of which was even slightly helpful was France. The rest were downright obstructive.

Really the Falklands does not demonstrate the lessons anti-American europhiles wish, so it's a pretty bad example to bring up if you get into the facts of the matter.

The current chill in relations is due almost entirely to Obama, who is an **** of the highest order. Europeans should have thought twice before fawning over this eegit, because believe me, the feelings are not mutual.

Ascension Island is a British Overseas Territory, Wideawake is a joint US Airforce and RAF station, not so much them needing to give us permission as we didn't really need it.

RAF Ascension Island

Ascension Island played a far higher role in the operation than is realised. The Task force steamed out of Portsmouth within a few days of the Argies landing on the Islands before a lot of the kit and supplies could be loaded, but it was good PR for Maggie to see the RN steaming out PDQ.

The Task force was anchored off Ascension for a few weeks whilst supplies were flown out and embarked, was also useful training time for the troops. The only real threat way down South in the early days was a couple of RN subs and of course the RAF Vulcan bomber flights which were mainly for show rather than effect. Of course due to d notices none of the UK population knew this as everyone thought they steamed straight to theatre.

Also highly sceptical about the US offering us a Carrier.... We would not have had a spare crew to man it with, and that's before we even start to look at what type of aircraft the said carrier was fitted to carry. Of course the US could have crewed it themselves but then they would be a fighting ally of the UK in the conflict.

Bit like the decision to send Longbow to Libya a fortnight ago, It would have taken a couple of weeks to emplane and train Oceans crew yet within days of the decision the ship was operating in the MED.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

to be honest i can understand why argentina want the island.

it would be pretty annoying if a country 5000 miles away, that really has no bearing on the local area, owned a small island sitting just off the coast of your country.

What about Jersey etc...?

HOLA4420

noun /ˈseptik/ 

septics, plural

adjective /ˈseptik/ 

Septic Tank = Yank n'est pas

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

When's Argentina going to show that it's really interested in something other than pinching someone else's islands and hand its independence back to Spain, or its native inhabitants? They can't logically claim the Falklands and their own existance at the same time.

HOLA4423

This is what I wanted to hear...

As long as the Falkland Islands want to be sovereign British territory, they should remain sovereign British territory. Full stop, end of story.

David Cameron

Just hope he does not do a U-turn on this :D

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Falklands-Fury-Argentinas-President-Cristina-Fernandez-Labels-David-Camerons-Opinions-Stupid/Article/201106316013609?lpos=Politics_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_16013609_Falklands_Fury%3A_Argentinas_President_Cristina_Fernandez_Labels_David_Camerons_Opinions_Stupid

I would have liked him to tell the Yanks to piss off but at least he said something.

His words stung Mrs Fernandez, who started her political career in Patagonia, where nationalist feeling about the nearby islands is especially strong.

She described Britain as a "crude colonial power in decline" and said the comments displayed "mediocrity bordering on stupidity".

The PM's spokesman said: "You won't be surprised that we don't agree with the comments