House Price Crash Forum

THE GREAT BIG FAT GREEK THREAD

HOLA441

Sorry, but if they get forced out of the EZ, every one and their dog will get Euros out of the banks as long as it is still possible. So, no wonder people get some out now. The ECB not backing Greek banks anymore is a real fear, people react to it. If the new government just decided to swap all Euros in Greek banks into Newdrachma, then the ECB's backing would be totally irrelevant anyway.

Precisely why it is nonsense. Why would the ECB intentionally collapse the EZ? (apart from to monetize your silver)

Edited by R K

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Description of the end of the press conference after the head of the eurogroup met the Greek finance minister

Send off for Joren Dijsselbloem ended with incredible stand-off as Varoufakis socked him one over the troika. The Dutchman looked enraged, bending forward to whisper something in Varoufakis’ ear to which the Greek finance minister did not respond. Greek finance ministry staff standing behind me said “Oh my God.”

One said “I wonder if this is the time to pack my bags.”

Throughout the press conference you could almost feel the electric tension in the air.

Seems promising!

HOLA443

UPDATE: "CONSTRUCTIVE TALKS" are over:

• *GREECE'S VAROUFAKIS SAYS WILL NOT ASK FOR BAILOUT EXTENSION
  • *VAROUFAKIS SAYS WILL NOT ACCEPT SELF-PERPETUATING CRISIS
  • *VAROUFAKIS SAYS DISCUSSED EURO AREA, NEW DEAL FOR GREECE
  • *DIJSSELBLOEM SAYS UNILATERAL STEPS IS NOT THE WAY FORWARD
  • *DIJSSELBLOEM SAYS GREECE SHOULD CLARIFY ITS POSITION (we think they did!)
  • *GREECE'S VAROUFAKIS SAYS WILL CONVINCE EU PEERS ON NEW DEAL

HOLA444

Translation: Dijsselbloem told him to get with the program or get bent, so now Varoufakis is going to run around Europe and whine to see if anyone wants to join him in picking a fight with Germany + Spain + Netherlands + Finland. He's even coming over to London on Monday to grovel at Osborne for some reason.

HOLA445
Maybe their plan all along has been to default...

- Get voted in by saying you will both stay in the Euro and stop austerity

- Then pretend to have real talks with rest of Europe

- Come back saying the mean countries won't let you have any more money so you'll have to default

- Then default, but now with the blame nicely laid on the Germans

HOLA446

UPDATE: "CONSTRUCTIVE TALKS" are over:

• *GREECE'S VAROUFAKIS SAYS WILL NOT ASK FOR BAILOUT EXTENSION
  • *VAROUFAKIS SAYS WILL NOT ACCEPT SELF-PERPETUATING CRISIS
  • *VAROUFAKIS SAYS DISCUSSED EURO AREA, NEW DEAL FOR GREECE
  • *DIJSSELBLOEM SAYS UNILATERAL STEPS IS NOT THE WAY FORWARD
  • *DIJSSELBLOEM SAYS GREECE SHOULD CLARIFY ITS POSITION (we think they did!)

I hope he doesn't.

I'll go on holiday to Greece this summer if they does us all a favour and leave the Euro leading to the demise of the EUSSR.

You have to give the Greeks their due they rioted and stuck up for themselves and have turned politics upside down, in comparison us Brits are spineless fckers who just loved getting screwed by the state and bankers, the best we can do is whine on webforums!

Edited by Samboy

HOLA447

I hope he doesn't.

I'll go on holiday to Greece this summer if they does us all a favour and leave the Euro leading to the demise of the EUSSR.

You have to give the Greeks their due they rioted and stuck up for themselves and have turned politics upside down, in comparison us Brits are spineless fckers who just loved getting screwed by the state and bankers, the best we can do is whine on webforums!

Not nearly tight enough here for people to take to the streets, but the swing to UKIP shows that many Brits have had enough of what is happening to the country (not necessarily house prices)

HOLA448

Not nearly tight enough here for people to take to the streets, but the swing to UKIP shows that many Brits have had enough of what is happening to the country (not necessarily house prices)

We will have to wait and see what the actual swing to UKIP is, that piece of sht Cameron has played a blinder by getting every man and his dog involved in the debates as Farage would have wiped the floor with the lot of them. It disgusts me how the TV channels have caved into this weak, pathetic, excuse of a man and try to inform us that the Greens being part of the debates is the right decision.

Brits are easily brainwashed i think all the MSM will be ganging up on UKIP like we've never seen before, i doubt Farages much reported meeting with Murdoch will do him favours, Murdochs a globalist and needs the status quo.

Edit - Immigrants did take to the streets 3 years ago and the proles were against them and backed the establishment, and the jail sentences were horrific, especially for white kids on facebook.

Edited by Samboy

HOLA449

The Dutchman looked enraged, bending forward to whisper something in Varoufakis ear to which the Greek finance minister did not respond. Greek finance ministry staff standing behind me said Oh my God.

One said I wonder if this is the time to pack my bags.

It must have been a pretty loud "whisper". - that's if it's been reported accurately.

If so many of the entourage heard what was said (even some behind the reporter) why didn't the reporter hear it then it would have been helpful to have reported it.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4410

Translation: Dijsselbloem told him to get with the program or get bent, so now Varoufakis is going to run around Europe and whine to see if anyone wants to join him in picking a fight with Germany + Spain + Netherlands + Finland. He's even coming over to London on Monday to grovel at Osborne for some reason.</p>

You sound bitter enough to be German.

HOLA4411

We will have to wait and see what the actual swing to UKIP is, that piece of sht Cameron has played a blinder by getting every man and his dog involved in the debates as Farage would have wiped the floor with the lot of them. It disgusts me how the TV channels have caved into this weak, pathetic, excuse of a man and try to inform us that the Greens being part of the debates is the right decision.

Brits are easily brainwashed i think all the MSM will be ganging up on UKIP like we've never seen before, i doubt Farages much reported meeting with Murdoch will do him favours, Murdochs a globalist and needs the status quo.

Edit - Immigrants did take to the streets 3 years ago and the proles were against them and backed the establishment, and the jail sentences were horrific, especially for white kids on facebook.

Farage will wipe the floor with most politicians, so I don`t know if widening the debates makes much difference? I wasn`t on the ground for the London riots so don`t really know what was motivating people, although watching it unfold on TV was certainly surreal. I don`t think it was as focused as Greece may be on a single point of grievance (un payable debt, bankers losses dumped on Greek taxpayers)

HOLA4412

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_30/01/2015_546707

Greece sets up cash crunch for March telling EU it’s over

Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis said Greece won’t seek an extension of its bailout agreement, setting the government on course to enter March without a financial backstop for the first time in five years.

HOLA4413

I wasn`t on the ground for the London riots so don`t really know what was motivating people, although watching it unfold on TV was certainly surreal. I don`t think it was as focused as Greece may be on a single point of grievance (un payable debt, bankers losses dumped on Greek taxpayers)

It was just boredom, I don't think there was and focus to it. It was in the middle of the school summer holidays remember. It kicked off because of Duggan, then copycat riots appeared over London and then the rest of the country.

HOLA4414

Bbc reporting the Greek have told troika where to go as they wish to deal with the eu and want to only pay back on half what they owe....

If it smells like a default. ..tastes like a default...looks like a default. ..then it's probably a default.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Bbc reporting the Greek have told troika where to go as they wish to deal with the eu and want to only pay back on half what they owe....

If it smells like a default. ..tastes like a default...looks like a default. ..then it's probably a default.

Yes, it is palpable now. The rest of Europe is essentially bending over, but the Greek don't want that "help" anymore. But the rest of Europe cannot explain this to their electorate/taxpayer. GAME OVER.

cgnao, why don't you come back, too? It is getting interesting again. :)

HOLA4417

New Greek finance on Newsnight now running rings around Emily Matlise. I like him.

She just kept avoiding the idea that the whole bailout and debt payable is a farce that has to be brought to an end, he looked like someone who came to your party and seemed quite cool, but ate a load of magic mushrooms and is out on the balcony talking about some wild and crazy things while looking over the edge a lot.

HOLA4418

She just kept avoiding the idea that the whole bailout and debt payable is a farce that has to be brought to an end, he looked like someone who came to your party and seemed quite cool, but ate a load of magic mushrooms and is out on the balcony talking about some wild and crazy things while looking over the edge a lot.

Six figure salary public sector newsreaders at the BBC probably will never get it.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

he looked like someone who came to your party and seemed quite cool, but ate a load of magic mushrooms and is out on the balcony talking about some wild and crazy things while looking over the edge a lot.

Aye to that. Motorbike, scarlet-trimmed blazer and that Jason Statham barnet, not your usual persona for an economics mouthpiece. The Greek ministers look fresh, smart, and weirdly normal - i.e. untamed, unpredictable and raw - how long can it last?

HOLA4421

Aye to that. Motorbike, scarlet-trimmed blazer and that Jason Statham barnet, not your usual persona for an economics mouthpiece. The Greek ministers look fresh, smart, and weirdly normal - i.e. untamed, unpredictable and raw - how long can it last?

Don`t know, but he should keep the walking boots in storage for a while IMO.

HOLA4422

New Greek finance on Newsnight now running rings around Emily Matlise. I like him.

I think he was right calling her rude. She asked a question half way through answering the question in a calm considered way she started her next question. It was as if she was trying to trip him up. When he didn't trip up on a question ask another one quickly and see if that one would do it.

HOLA4423

http://

globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/greece-will-not-accept-bailout.html

Greece Will No Longer Deal with ‘Troika’

It now strongly appears as if Greece, Germany, and the nannycrats in Brussels are all on one hell of a collision course. Both sides have dug in, and the war of words has escalated in all corners

-----------

Gaming Theory

Everyone is willing to negotiate, but only on their terms. Realistically, no one is willing to negotiate. An the Troika has its hands full with Yanis Varoufakis, an expert who wrote a Book on Game Theory.

I suspect prime minister Alexis Tsipras picked Varoufakis precisely because of his skills at game theory

It sounds as if it would be advisable for the people in Greece to stock up on essentials where they can - at the very least.
Edited by billybong

HOLA4424
HOLA4425