House Price Crash Forum

Horses In Ireland

Pole

HOLA441

Before the economic downturn, many people in Ireland purchased expensive horses. But after the financial crisis hit, many horse owners could no longer afford to care for them. As a result, an estimated 20,000 horses have been set free. They can be seen roaming highways, housing developments, parks and forests. Some of the horses are on the brink of starvation... What a mess... :(

Abandoned horses in Ireland - Video (DeutcheWelle)

2nd Video - Polish Weekly 'Polityka' (English Audio)

HOLA442

Before the economic downturn, many people in Ireland purchased expensive horses. But after the financial crisis hit, many horse owners could no longer afford to care for them. As a result, an estimated 20,000 horses have been set free. They can be seen roaming highways, housing developments, parks and forests. Some of the horses are on the brink of starvation... What a mess... :(

Horses or houses ;)

Its a shame for the poor animals but horses have always roamed free in parts of dublin and no doubt other parts of the country,

20'000 seems an awful lot mind.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Horses or houses ;)

Its a shame for the poor animals but horses have always roamed free in parts of dublin and no doubt other parts of the country,

20'000 seems an awful lot mind.

20,000 seems like a low estimate to me; I narrowly avoided being killed this morning on my way to work by a stampede of at least 1000 horses heading towards the financial district. In fact from my window I can now see a herd numbering in the thousands which surprises me as there are not many grassy areas here so I can only imagine what it must be like in leafier suburbs.

There had been some hope that when the power was turned off across the city that they would become less skittish and more manageable but it appears that the low wailing of the starving children who line the streets is even worse than the neon lights were. Our only hope now is that they will gradually move west as they exhaust what food there is but for now I would not advise anyone to go outside unless that have a properly trained mouse to fend them off.

HOLA4411

Not just in Ireland: RSPCA called to assist 250 stray horses in Bridgend, Welsh town overrun by 250 gypsy horses.

A town is being overrun by a pack of 250 wild horses abandoned by gypsies who can't afford to feed them.

Five of the horses have been killed when they were hit by cars and others are starving because they are not being fed.

RSPCA inspectors were on the scene at Bridgend, South Wales, after calls from worried animal lovers.

The horses are believed to belong to gypsy families who have moved on from the area and were unable to pay for their feed and upkeep.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Apparently the price of horse meat has fallen a lot, and near me in South Wales (not far from Big-End) a small bale of hay is costing £7.50 due to the terrible summer last year.

I also heard that people were buying ponies for £1 in sales in the Brecon Beacons and then leaving them there when they realised they had to pay £50 for a passport for them

More victims of this whole mess!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The thousands of abandoned horses run free in Ireland around many thousands of empty and abandoned new build houses.

article-1331380-0C207294000005DC-922_634x414.jpg

Horses in a field in front of a new house which has been left unfinished in County Leitrim. Leitrim is the worst affected county in Ireland with a housing stock that it is estimated will take nine years to clear

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I stayed at a run down hotel near Reims a few years back and was given horse steak for supper.Very nice it was too and a solution to this particular problem I would have thought.

Just my line of thought.

Banham Abattoir in Norfolk used to Slaughter horses (Jemimas lame pony) for export to tne continent. I think it was the last one.

HOLA4419

Abandoned horses in Ireland - Video (DeutcheWelle)

2nd Video - Polish Weekly 'Polityka' (English Audio)

I wondered why ASDA keep selling cheap/ultra lean but funny tasting 'beef' joints from Ireland :o

HOLA4420

Just my line of thought.

Banham Abattoir in Norfolk used to Slaughter horses (Jemimas lame pony) for export to tne continent. I think it was the last one.

Had a mate who worked in the labs for "Felix the Cat" foods, Newmarket! ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Cant believe this hasn't been moved off topic yet. :rolleyes:

While I'm sure these horses are very nice irish horses they're not really important to the UK economy.

Or have I missed something, please tell me if I have, I've got an empty paddock in my current rental.

yes, most of the mods arent awake yet :)

that and the fact that no one has mentioned the word that gets threads moved instantly......

GOLD

there you go, should be ot in a few mins :lol:

HOLA4424

I knew a few people in Ireland who bought racehorses from their property wealth.

Was talking to a horse trainer couple of weeks ago, based in the west of Ireland - the English are snapping up their produce, leaving English horse trainers out of pocket. Apparently you can't beat grass that grows in limestone areas - something like that.

If you hear an Irish person say, "That horse has lovely big ears", it doesn't mean you're face to face with Father Ted. It means the person is gauging the size of the brainbox by the distance between the ears, and hence the intelligence of the horse.

Have to say, I picked up those details while half pissed at a funeral, so they could be completely wrong.

HOLA4425

Archived