House Price Crash Forum

Ordered To Dismantle House Cum Boat On Norfolk Broads.

HOLA441

Desperation. Is it a boat, is it a house or something else...

Owners of a two-storey holiday home built on a barge have been told it is not a boat and has to be dismantled.

It took three months and £5,000 to build the wooden house, which is on the River Yare at Thorpe St Andrew in Norfolk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12279454

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

HOLA442

Just get it off the Broads. Any kind into an estuary mooring on the Thames or somewhere similar. There was a similar effort on "Grand Designs." Indeed it looks as though it has been built on an old Thames lighter.

Edited by Sir John Steed

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

As an ex-liveaboard myself i've some sympathy for them but at the end of the day it's an eyesore and they shouldn't have been so naive as to think they would be allowed to do that in a picturesque holiday destination. Where i was we knew the rules, not laid in stone but we knew if for example you hung your laundry all over your boat you were asking for trouble. Building a 20ft high shed in a beauty spot was never going to work. And I'd like to see how long it lasts in a north sea swell if they try to tow it down to a more liberal, but bleak, Essex/Kent estuary. It's a pretty free and easy life generally and well tolerated considering how tax free it is compared to the rest of UK lifestyles so i'm thinking they're just taking the piss and don't mind that they are stopped. IMO.

HOLA447

Desperation. Is it a boat, is it a house or something else...

Owners of a two-storey holiday home built on a barge have been told it is not a boat and has to be dismantled.

It took three months and £5,000 to build the wooden house, which is on the River Yare at Thorpe St Andrew in Norfolk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12279454

Ffs....who actually owns this country? The people who live in it or the people who are paid by the-people-who-live-in-it?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
It's just down the road from me and looks a right abortion.

Aboration maybe?

It's certainly not a boat. There is no way it would actually float, it's far too top heavy, it would capsize immediately.

The "boat" is almost certainly sat on the bottom and from what I can see there, duh into the riverbank.

There building a boat and there's taking the piss.

Edited by RufflesTheGuineaPig

HOLA4411

The "boat is almost certainly sat on the bottom and from what I can see there, duh into the riverbank.

The river is tidal, only a short distance from Norwich Yacht Station where the fall is up to 2 metres or more. ;)

The Broads has National Park status and you are welcome to live on a boat provided the licence is paid, it is insured, and a current Boat Safety Certificate is in force which lasts for 4 years.

My boat is a 42 footer diesel river cruiser costing with the tender £500 per annum licence, mooring fees £1150 per annum, insurance £225 per annum ( absolutely b***y amazing ) and the BSS certificate and inspection due for renewal in April for a further 4 years £120. :)

My boat is required to leave the moorings for at least 14 days annually to avoid having to pay council tax as a residential boat. I do not need a TV licence as long as when I am watching TV on the boat nobody at my home is watching the TV at the same time. :rolleyes:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

It took three months and £5,000 to build the wooden house, which is on the River Yare at Thorpe St Andrew in Norfolk.

And UK builders charge what :o Yes there's land costs etc etc of course but all the same.

Mind you if they'd kept it to single storey it might have had more chance of being regarded as a "boat" and cost even less to build - as well as not stuck out so much.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Quite mainly becuase people dont know how to sail (although one has right of way when tacking) or even steer their plastic tubs and then you have idiots like this chav.

you think thats gunna sail ......give em a break they just want somewhere to live you nautical nimbys :lol:

HOLA4421

Quite mainly becuase people dont know how to sail (although one has right of way when tacking) or even steer their plastic tubs and then you have idiots like this chav.

Ended up getting a heavy fine. ;)

I have personally pulled out one child fallen from a boat and rescued 2 dogs being swept away in a 4 knot tide. The Broads are very safe as long as you act responsibly and obey the rules. :)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

the twit even tries to grab the thing....perhaps it was Fred the Shred

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Ffs....who actually owns this country? The people who live in it or the people who are paid by the-people-who-live-in-it?

The people who live in it have the broads authority to protect us from idiots who want to build fuggly great sheds in beauty spots. Sometimes i'm content with the planning laws and as charlie the tramp points out the rules as they are are pretty reasonable.