HOLA441
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

West Wing was excellent.

Frasier for half-hour comedic farce.

Note you have to be quite clever to enjoy these. :rolleyes:

Recently, bought some Moonlighting DVD sets (very cheap online - there's a comparison site called Find-DVD that is good), and I've been enjoying Maddie and Dave not solving the Anselmo case.

HOLA443
HOLA444

As Monkey mentioned in a previous post, you should give anime a try. Although animated, many are suitable for adult audiences and most of the popular ones have dubbed voices instead of subtitles. Here are a few you could try that would be suitable for you and the wife:

Clannad and Clannad After Story

Death Note

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, also there are two movies

Maison Ikkoku

Evangelion

Ef: Tale of Memories and Ef: Tale of Melodies

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

There are hundreds more anime tv series if you look around.

HOLA445

The West Wing

Get the box set and start at series 1, episode.... about 20 hours later you'll have watched the best intelligent drama that's ever been created, and you'll realise you should have been at work hours ago.

Seriously though, series 1&2 are sheer brilliance, 3's ok as is 4 (it dipped for 5) 6 was watchable again, and 7 rounded off as a stormer.

You won't regret it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/West-Wing-Complete-Season-DVD/dp/B000068OVR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287615213&sr=8-1

Got the wife into it, and she's not fussed about politics at all, but was utterly gripped and screamed at me to get series 2 due to the cliffhanger ending of s1 (though to be fair, the ending of series 2 was even better).

This. But don't bother buying just season one because you will have to watch all the others too.

Just buy the complete boxset http://www.amazon.co.uk/West-Wing-Complete-Season-Slimline/dp/B002HRE4DI/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287770387&sr=1-1

edit to add: If anybody bothered to write a series of equivalent calibre on UK politics, you'd have a hell of a lot more people willing to be engaged in the subject.

HOLA446

My old TV favourites Lost and 24 are finished now. There's always Dragons Den and The Apprentice, but they're so short lived.

Any recommendations for something to watch? I need a lot of episodes and it must be suitable for the wife also ;)

Day Break.

Imagine groundhog day if instead of being a conedy, it opens with the protaginist being framed for murder. Alas it was taken off TV for being to intelligent for most audiences to follow. The copper is kindof an idiot, so it's good he gets so many chances to solve the case. :lol:

A good, complex conspiracy at a steady high pace.

It's a shame, but I understand why it was taken of the air after just 6 episodes. It's simply too complex to be "mainstream easy entertainment". Too many leads and entanglements. But when that's said… it's a really good show. I actually had not expected it to be worth watching, but I just had to see what came next and how they would get out of this one. The many angles on the case are brilliant. You very often ask yourself "what would have happened if this and that". Here you actually get the answer to those questions. Well acted on all parts, doesn't make it worse that Moon Bloodgood plays the part as the girlfriend. Loved it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0801425/

HOLA447

Day Break.

Imagine groundhog day if instead of being a conedy, it opens with the protaginist being framed for murder. Alas it was taken off TV for being to intelligent for most audiences to follow. The copper is kindof an idiot, so it's good he gets so many chances to solve the case. :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0801425/

Nah, I couldn't stand Adrian Chiles on The One Show..

HOLA448
HOLA449

There are a number of Serial Drama's [Cult classic's] that occasionally get remade into hollywood movies.

Worth watching the originals.

There are a few on the tip of my tongue.

Like Edge Of Darkness. 1985. BBC [Mel Gibson did the remake in 2010]

State of Play

Yeah,I remember edge of darkness,fekkin awesome.

kind of getting into "the event",now.That's quite cool.

HOLA4410

My old TV favourites Lost and 24 are finished now. There's always Dragons Den and The Apprentice, but they're so short lived.

Any recommendations for something to watch? I need a lot of episodes and it must be suitable for the wife also ;)

OP how about chucking out that TV and learning something in the hours you spend watching all these "seasons"? You might have something to show for it.

HOLA4411

OP how about chucking out that TV and learning something in the hours you spend watching all these "seasons"? You might have something to show for it.

Well you're preaching to the converted.

I spend one hour max per evening watching a show to spend time with the wife really. Most other time is spent on a few "long term projects". And I certainly have something to show for it.

I don't own a TV btw. That one show per evening is watched on a projector.

So do you have something to show for the time not wasted watching your TV? ;)

Thanks for all the posts here. You've given me a few ideas guys, and I'm trying out your suggestions. The Event, Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire look interesting, along with a few others.

It's a shame I think I'm in a minority of reality tv fans here though. For example, I've got a season of Celebrity Rehab to watch. It's good stuff if you're into it. Also, if anyone needs more suggestions, Carnivale was good for two seasons.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I would give Stargate SG-1 a go - surprisingly very good.

I would also consider the much ignored Deep Space Nine a look - the first two seasons were dire but when they changed the series into one long story arc involving a war with an empire called the Dominion it got very good. So much so that I now consider it the best Trek mainly because the cast actually had relationships, sex and it got really dirty with people being assasinated, murdered, etc, which is not what you expect from Trek.

The Anime is an interesting recommendation as, here in the West, we think of it as stuff for children but much of it is very adult.

HOLA4416

As has been said, Breaking Bad is astonishingly good.

The Sopranos is an absolute classic.

Generation Kill.

The Walking Dead is starting soon and looks great.

Dexter is also superb, and there are a few entire seasons in the can for all of these shows (except Walking Dead.)

HOLA4417

Give Firefly a try - it got canned after 14 episodes but has great characters and dialog.

Boxed set is about a tenner and the follow up movie (Serenity) a fiver or less.

Yes, Firefly is excellent, although it doesn't really meet the OP's 'lots of episode' criterion. It makes me sad to watch it given how good it could have been if they'd let it run.

Boston Legal is a lot of fun. William Shatner and James Spader are great in it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, if you haven't seen it. Season One's a bit iffy, but sets up a lot of stuff for later seasons.

We've just started watching Buffy for the first time. We're about five or six episodes into the first season... and I'm not all that inspired to carry on, although it's normally our habit to see whole seasons through just to give things a proper chance.

In summary (so far): when it tries to be scary and suspenseful, it fails; when it tries to be funny, it fails. And perhaps we're just too old for all the 'angst of teens' nonsense... :)

HOLA4420

We've just started watching Buffy for the first time. We're about five or six episodes into the first season... and I'm not all that inspired to carry on, although it's normally our habit to see whole seasons through just to give things a proper chance.

In summary (so far): when it tries to be scary and suspenseful, it fails; when it tries to be funny, it fails. And perhaps we're just too old for all the 'angst of teens' nonsense... :)

Season 1 is very weak in places. Season 2 is where it gets into its stride. You could get away with just episodes 7 and 12 of season 1 (given you've watched 1 - 6).

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Season 1 is very weak in places. Season 2 is where it gets into its stride. You could get away with just episodes 7 and 12 of season 1 (given you've watched 1 - 6).

I agree that season 1 of Buffy is the weakest. From the middle of season 2 onwards the plot-lines get much more ambitous. It's definitely worth postponing judgement until the end of season 2. More superficially, the picture quality also improves after season 1, and season 4 onwards is in widescreen.

When you've finished the 7 seasons of Buffy, there are 5 seasons of Angel to look forward to.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived