House Price Crash Forum

Public Sector Already Cutting Jobs

HOLA441

This is going to be the story of 2010-2011, but it's already surfacing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8192431.stm

This will really kill off any chance of a house price recovery this side of 2013

Edited to add: ignore the headline and look at the bit about public sector job cut expectations.

Edited by HovelinHove

HOLA442

This will really kill off any chance of a house price recovery this side of 2013

Edited to add: ignore the headline and look at the bit about public sector job cut expectations.

The Tories in control of Nottinghamshire want every department to have made plans for 10% cuts by the end of this year apparently. Now, will the overpaid managers be willing to fall on their swords to protect the lower paid frontline staff? I suspect not. Up and down the country we'll have these overpaid senior officers ruling over empty empires and services will suffer, unless the Tories make senior management reviews their first priority in their plans for local government.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
No, it is because the majority of them believe they have a job for life - and often spend accordingly, counting on their public sector pensions for later!

Exactly, they are also pretty rubbish workers. I work very closely with the NHS, and 90% of the people I deal with wouldn't last 5 minutes in the private sector. These people will become very long term unemployed.

HOLA448
Exactly, they are also pretty rubbish workers. I work very closely with the NHS, and 90% of the people I deal with wouldn't last 5 minutes in the private sector. These people will become very long term unemployed.

Shut down the NHS and more people would survive illness in this country.

HOLA449
Shut down the NHS and more people would survive illness in this country.

I know nothing of the NHS but my many years as a District Councillor convinced me of the hopelessness of most council staff.Our Town Hall had two permanent switchboard operators and they never seemed to answer the calls.I really have no idea what they were doing and I used to drive there to sort things out rather than call.If they ever bothered to answer the best you would get would be a voicemail and your call would not be returned.

The whole enterprise seemed to be staffed by people who were clueless and didn't give a toss.The planning department was staffed by aged hippies whose sole aim seemed to be to frustrate the public who paid their wages.It's just a shambles and I felt sorry for the few decent people who worked there,most of whom left in pretty short order.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Most public bodies are tied into 3 year grant settlements. The real effects won't hit until the end of next year when the next 3 year allocations for 2011-12 to 2013-14 are announced. Most councils are protected until then - expect loads of job losses to be announced in councils and schools come early 2011.

HOLA4413
and arrogant and entitled

Brilliant, another bash the public service thread.

Gets kind of tired after a while, if only some of you would differentiate between essential public sector workers and the pointless quango's and over inflated local council non job workers.

Public services are needed and generally the more essential the job role the less well paid it is.

HOLA4414
Guest happy?
I know nothing of the NHS but my many years as a District Councillor convinced me of the hopelessness of most council staff.Our Town Hall had two permanent switchboard operators and they never seemed to answer the calls....

Sounds like they'd got your number!

HOLA4415

Gets kind of tired after a while, if only some of you would differentiate between essential public sector workers and the pointless quango's and over inflated local council non job workers.

Public services are needed and generally the more essential the job role the less well paid it is.

Oh but we always do.

You should know by now that when we talk about the public sector that is exactly what we mean, the middle office people. NOT and I certainly do mean NOT, the people who actually deliver the service. Those people are fine.

HOLA4416

I don't disagree with that comment but what is not needed is an NHS with more managers than hospital beds, councils with vast deskbound workforces doing little of any value, an MOD with more civil servants than soldiers etc, etc. If one in 5 non front line desk bound staff were fired tomorrow, I very much doubt you or I would notice the difference.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

+1

HOLA4419

I agree exactly with what you are saying, this implicitly underscored my comment, sorry for the misunderstanding

Edited by Si1

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
I don't disagree with that comment but what is not needed is an NHS with more managers than hospital beds, councils with vast deskbound workforces doing little of any value, an MOD with more civil servants than soldiers etc, etc. If one in 5 non front line desk bound staff were fired tomorrow, I very much doubt you or I would notice the difference.

Agree, I had a public sector contract for one of the more affluent London councils a few years ago. It was a huge culture shock for so many reasons, not least of which the way everyone acted as if the building was on fire and all sprinted out at 5.00 on the dot, no matter what their deadlines were!

There were a few really talented and dedicated people. However, there were an awful lot of dinosaurs there - most of my day was spent giving out some very basic IT advice (like how to download Acrobat from the web), some older ones had desk jobs but couldn't use a computer AT ALL :blink: and there was a lot of duplication of roles. I reckon there they could have axed 25-30% of the office staff and made it MORE efficient.

HOLA4422

Is that because they are all a bit thick ?

No, it is because the majority of them believe they have a job for life - and often spend accordingly, counting on their public sector pensions for later!

:lol:

You didn't want to say that did you? you meant yes

let me re-write it

Yes, it is because the majority of them believe they have a job for life - and often spend accordingly, counting on their public sector pensions for later! How stupid can you get?

HOLA4423

YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!

Nothing in the news then :P

HOLA4424
Agree, I had a public sector contract for one of the more affluent London councils a few years ago. It was a huge culture shock for so many reasons, not least of which the way everyone acted as if the building was on fire and all sprinted out at 5.00 on the dot, no matter what their deadlines were!

There were a few really talented and dedicated people. However, there were an awful lot of dinosaurs there - most of my day was spent giving out some very basic IT advice (like how to download Acrobat from the web), some older ones had desk jobs but couldn't use a computer AT ALL :blink: and there was a lot of duplication of roles. I reckon there they could have axed 25-30% of the office staff and made it MORE efficient.

Have you ever considered the fact that very little money is spent on training staff in the public sector? Its not that they don't want to learn but the money just isn't there for proper training. Staff are expected to train each other or pick it all up themselves especially when it comes to computers. After a while people lose faith and simply do the job the best they can given the tools provided but that can leave them trapped in a job if they don't develop universally recognised qualifications and skills. How many in the private sector have been on lavish courses that their company has paid for? Quite a few from my experiences compared to public sector and training is ongoing rather than once a decade.

Anyway, why pick on public sector, at least they are out there working rather than spongeing off the system. Sack the lot of them and pay them benefits until they pop it if thats a better solution? The fact is they are providing a service at a basic rate of pay and not everyone in the private sector could actually do the job of public sector day in day out no matter how great they think they are, most just couldn't cope with the constant changes, demands and red tape. Have you actually seen the state of some of the buildings and facilities in public sector? They are pretty grim on the whole, hardly uplifting so why expect miracles from the workers? How many in the private sector could even pass the entry level tests that a fireman has to go through? Very few I can tell you.

As for leaving at 5pm every day without fail, how do you know they aren't getting in early to make the hours up? Also if the work is getting completed whats the problem? You mention duplication of roles, perhaps thats because they are all trained to cover each others jobs for efficiency and leave/sick? The fact is, it is a completely different culture so don't blindly judge it by the standards of private sector as its a completely different beast.

HOLA4425
Have you ever considered the fact that very little money is spent on training staff in the public sector? Its not that they don't want to learn but the money just isn't there for proper training. Staff are expected to train each other or pick it all up themselves especially when it comes to computers.

this is just illustrating manifest inefficiency. Computers are labour saving, the training pays for itself over time and leads to greater efficiency afterwards. Fact that public sector managers conciously choose not to bother in basic efficiency investments - proper training - is simple illustration of how bad they are. This is not an excuse for inefficiency, it is a symptom of mismanagement.

Edited by Si1