House Price Crash Forum

Ann Widdecombe Is The People's Choice To Be The Next Speaker

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...xt-Speaker.html

It was halfway through a roast beef lunch at Simpson's in the Strand when Michael Heseltine began to beat the table with the palm of his hand. "Widdecombe," he chanted. "Widdecombe. Widdecombe. I keep hearing the name Ann Widdecombe."

That was in 1999, and Margaret Thatcher's nemesis had used the first course to demolish William Hague's leadership of the Conservative Party. He then moved on to the topic of Hague's successor, assuming – rightly, of course – that the next election was already lost. Heseltine was still a darling of the Tory rubber-chicken circuit, and he knew that Widdecombe was the favourite of the Conservative activists. They loved her robust opinions, her contempt for the politically correct brigade, even her unashamed assertion that a hot bath, strong whisky and a detective novel were preferable to sex.

Tory MPs, however, never shared the enthusiasm of their members, and Iain Duncan Smith triumphed once Hague stepped down. But I wonder if the drums are beating again over the battle to be the next Speaker.

The same day that the wretched Michael Martin finally fell on his sword, with a typically graceless statement, Widders and I dined à deux in Victoria. As ever, we were endlessly interrupted by well-wishers who insisted: "You should be the next Speaker."

As we left, cars peeped their horns, and when she got into the back of the black cab, the first thing the driver said was: "Just think. I've got the next Speaker of the House of Commons in the back of my cab."

It's ironic that in the same restaurant, some three years ago, I tried to persuade Widders not to stand down from Parliament at the next election, because I thought she would be a popular choice to take over from Martin. And that was before The Daily Telegraph anointed her Saint Ann of the Low Expenses.

So, after the extraordinary upheaval of the past few days, why not have another woman Speaker? Betty Boothroyd did rather well, and the last thing David Cameron needs is another Tory toff, in the shape of the Old Etonian baronet Sir George Young, who was beaten by Martin last time.

widdecombe_1408139c.jpg

Good god no. She doesn't even know what to do if the boiler breaks or how to cut the grass.

HOLA442

I've always liked Anne Widdecombe and I think it's because she is bright and honest, rare qualities for the sad examples who are currently representing the British public.

She also appears to have common sense, another rare virtue amongst the elected vultures.

I do hope she omes out of this with a decent post, she could replace Becket too.

HOLA443
Guest theboltonfury
I've always liked Anne Widdecombe and I think it's because she is bright and honest, rare qualities for the sad examples who are currently representing the British public.

She also appears to have common sense, another rare virtue amongst the elected vultures.

I do hope she omes out of this with a decent post, she could replace Becket too.

she'll need to stand at the next election first

HOLA444
HOLA445

It would be nice to have a bit of eye candy in the chair for a change. :lol:

I did like the way she exposed Home Secretary Michael Howard over his appalling treatment of prison governors which he used as a scapegoat for his incompetence. Something of the night about him indeed. It took real balls, integrity and total honesty for her to do that. She would be an excellent speaker without doubt.

HOLA446

Yes, I agree, she has that increasingly rare virtue amongst politicians - common sense. And we could certainly do with some of that in parliament. I had begun to think that our MPs were from a different planet, so removed were they from common sense.

Ann Widdecombe must NOT retire - she would make an excellent Speaker, imo, and not just an interim one. She should serve a minimum of five years. That would be long enough to kick the toadies into shape and get Parliament operating as a debating chamber again and not just as a rubber stamp office which appears to be its current raison d'etre.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Yes, I agree, she has that increasingly rare virtue amongst politicians - common sense. And we could certainly do with some of that in parliament. I had begun to think that our MPs were from a different planet, so removed were they from common sense.

Ann Widdecombe must NOT retire - she would make an excellent Speaker, imo, and not just an interim one. She should serve a minimum of five years. That would be long enough to kick the toadies into shape and get Parliament operating as a debating chamber again and not just as a rubber stamp office which appears to be its current raison d'etre.

+1, as they say!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

She'd definitely stand no-nonsense from the rabble in the commons and can just hear her saying "Order, Order" to great effect.

And she, at least, has some idea of real people out there - didn't she do some tv stuff working with difficult kids (seem to remember pregnant teenagers or young Mums and similar).

Plus she has so much experience of being in it and out of it - that she'd have some good ideas on how to pull it into the 21st Century - and even if kicking and screaming - she'd make sure it happened.

If Mo Mowlam was alive - wonder how she would have been as Speaker - another woman of similar vein with Common sense, dignity, honesty, integrity, and an ability to get things done and understand the bigger picture.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
The perfect speaker.

She has the required sense of duty.

And she was a samaritan as she pointed out today when asked if it was true that there rumours of impending suicides in Parliament!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Widdecombe is a daft lying senile bitch. She is not to be trusted. Can’t we do a bit better than that?

Oh and the others have proven to be upright , honest and mentally competent have they?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
She's the only contender, apart from Frank Field- according to today's DT- that hasn't fiddled their expenses.

Why do people do these silly photo shoots though?

_44271686_widdecombe_220pa.jpg

Frank Field I also have a lot of time for. I'd be happy with either of those.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Does anyone really think that there's a politician in the UK or elsewhere who isn't corrupt or corruptible?

I'd use their mantra of nothing to hide, nothing to fear against them so that they'd be compelled to submit to polygraph tests the results of which would be made public and subject to scrutiny by any citizen the instant their name appears on a ballot paper.

Question 1: have you uttered a wilful and deliberate lie during the past 12 months?

Question 2: do you believe that the electorate should trust you?

Etc, etc.

As for Widdecombe, the last time I saw her was on the box rattling on about her religious faith in her customary superior moral tone before having a dig at other Christians about what she described as their pick 'n' mix mentality.

Obviously, she somehow missed (Proverbs 23:2) “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony” and without knowing anything about her circumstances I'd happily wager what's in my piggy bank against an empty crisp packet that she isn't about to flog everything she owns to give the proceeds to the poor.

Archived