House Price Crash Forum

Mps' Expenses Scandal -

Guest KingCharles1st

HOLA441
what, you mean like everybody else has to rent and also has access to confidential information - if it's security related, IT SHOULD NOT BE OUT OF THE SECURE OFFICE.

As for a flat 30 minutes from work - 2 beds, WTF for ? they are, as they admit, at work, not on a jolly to take the kids to London. So, do what the rest of us do and sodding work. And 30 minutes - do me a favour, commute like mere mortals. Like we do.

As for support a family, two bills and all that crap. Rubbish - it's a job, they chose to take it. by all means cover EXPENSES - not improvements, flipping, fiddling their tax - tell me why they can claim more than £200 for a telly ? Why are they allowed to charge for 4 lots of bedroom furniture in a year ? If I fiddled my expenses, I'd be fired. So would you.

It's not like the state is short of places to put people up....

00_BuckPalace01.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Meanwhile it is now 3 months since Sir John Lyon Commissioner for standards in public life announced that he was investigating the expenses of Home Secretary Jacqui Smith.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle5762376.ece

It is also 8 weeks since Lyon started to investigate Tony McNulty.

Needless to say he hasn't reported yet perhaps he was waiting for it all to blow over.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...nses/article.do

HOLA443
what, you mean like everybody else has to rent and also has access to confidential information - if it's security related, IT SHOULD NOT BE OUT OF THE SECURE OFFICE.

As for a flat 30 minutes from work - 2 beds, WTF for ? they are, as they admit, at work, not on a jolly to take the kids to London. So, do what the rest of us do and sodding work. And 30 minutes - do me a favour, commute like mere mortals. Like we do.

As for support a family, two bills and all that crap. Rubbish - it's a job, they chose to take it. by all means cover EXPENSES - not improvements, flipping, fiddling their tax - tell me why they can claim more than £200 for a telly ? Why are they allowed to charge for 4 lots of bedroom furniture in a year ? If I fiddled my expenses, I'd be fired. So would you.

In many respects cells is a little wet behind the ears when it comes to the real world, typical graduate. Either that or the child of an MP.

And a general comment, as much as I dislike Blears, I would imagine that for many MPs the HMRC rule regarding former primary residences being exempt from CGT for 3 years following moving out would absolve them of having to pay any CGT they might have otherwise avoided.

The morality of flipping second homes on the register to claim goods/services at multiple properties and ultimately flipping of property to make capital gains still leaves a nasty taste in the mouth and must be against the spirit of the rules.

Edited by daiking

HOLA444
HOLA445
Simple question for the surprised -

Why else did you think they wanted to be Mp's, if not to get lots of loot they don't actually merit?

The only reason some of them want to become MPs is for the second homes allowance. I actually met this woman once and she was quite open about it.

http://www.sammanningsmith.co.uk/

Just look who gave her a referance. Woof woof!

HOLA446
There seems to be a general feeling amongst MP's ( I know Widdecombe feels this way) that if they aren't paid enough in salary and allowances then we won't get the 'right' calibre of candidate.

Someone please tell me why in a job that requires no specific qualifications, a salary of 60k plus expenses and a 2nd home, the individuals feel hard done by?

How on earth do they think the rest of us manage?

maybe when we were a rich country - but now we are a poor one 65k looks pretty good

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Explaining his decision, Mr Brown said: "Where there is irregularity now it has got to be dealt with immediately. Where standards have been transgressed and the evidence has been shown to be there, action has got to be taken."

Liar! You've done nothing for years about these clear abuses of taxpayers' money. The only action that needs to be taken immediately is:

1) The publication of all expenses claims

2) The dissolution of Parliament

3) The calling of a general election

Don't make me get my pitchfork out Brown! I'm in no mood for any more of this ****.

Edited by Orsino

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest AuntJess
The Parliamentary Labour Party has suspended Elliot Morley.

Dare I hope, from the nearest lamp post? <_<

Edited by AuntJess

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Meanwhile it is now 3 months since Sir John Lyon Commissioner for standards in public life announced that he was investigating the expenses of Home Secretary Jacqui Smith.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle5762376.ece

It is also 8 weeks since Lyon started to investigate Tony McNulty.

Needless to say he hasn't reported yet perhaps he was waiting for it all to blow over.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...nses/article.do

Can you post an update on these two chancers, if no action occurs within a few weeks?

HOLA4422
Liar! You've done nothing for years about these clear abuses of taxpayers' money. The only action that needs to be taken immediately is:

1) The publication of all expenses claims

2) The dissolution of Parliament

3) The calling of a general election

Don't make me get my pitchfork out Brown! I'm in no mood for any more of this ****.

another one that has worked out that this won't get fixed by the ballot box where all 3 main parties are in bed togeather and have the police and judges in their pockets.

Why have the police not gone in even if they just pretend they are looking into a massive fraud carried out by our so called leaders or would they be voted a wage cut.

few if any head will roll over this unless we do it ourselves.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Well on the positive side this topic is raising my post count

David Milliband still doesn't get it

I Like Pot Plants

30K improvements on a 120K house

Often, MPs have trotted out the excuse that 'the house was a shambles when I bought it'.

Surely, it is impractical for a hard-pressed MP to buy a house that needs considerable time and work when it is supposed to function immediately as a second home ?........ unless it is speculation and the Tax Payer is funding the refurb.

Anyway, with respect to Milliband, I suppose that at least a local self-employed worker was benefiting to some extent, even if he sounds bored to tears with the futility of the job.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA4425
Well on the positive side this topic is raising my post count

David Milliband still doesn't get it

I Like Pot Plants

30K improvements on a 120K house

Often, MPs have trotted out the excuse that 'the house was a shambles when I bought it'.

Surely, it is impractical for a hard-pressed MP to buy a house that needs considerable time and work when it is supposed to function immediately as a second home ?........ unless it is speculation and the Tax Payer is funding the refurb.

Anyway, with respect to Milliband, I suppose that at least a local self-employed worker was benefiting to some extent, even if he sounds bored to tears with the futility of the job.

Why wouldn't you buy a house in disrepair if someone else picks up the tab to improve it?

Instant profit at someone else's expense.

Edit: keyboard vowel interchange whilst I wasn't looking

Edited by Red Kharma