HOLA441
  • Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
So were Fooked.Why don't we drink it? :D

Icebergs stink of rotting organisms...hence why sailors in the old days could smell an iceberg in the vicinity. The look out on the Titanic clamied the same thing, he must have had a cold on that particular night though. :lol:

Drinking the melted ice would probably give one the sh!ts.

HOLA444
Drinking the melted ice would probably give one the sh!ts.

I'll just add it to the ever growing list of things that give me the shits!

What about we build 100's of inland reservoirs to hold this extra water, this will give us fresh water and electricity. The greens can't cry foul as it will help save the world. ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446

I don't think we need to distract ourselves with ice cubes melting in the glass - everyone knows the deal.

What's interesting here that this ice has been stable for a fairly long time so it's evidence that something has changed. The issue is the degree of buttressing provided to grounded ice. The grounded ice is believed to be able to flow faster without the buttressing ice shelves.

HOLA447
I don't think we need to distract ourselves with ice cubes melting in the glass - everyone knows the deal.

What's interesting here that this ice has been stable for a fairly long time so it's evidence that something has changed. The issue is the degree of buttressing provided to grounded ice. The grounded ice is believed to be able to flow faster without the buttressing ice shelves.

What I also find very strange is that there is oil in both the artic and the antartic.

How did it get there ?

I was taught that oil was the product of trees and various other decomposing materials that had been crushed over millions of years.

Its going to be amazing when all the ice melts and the scientists realise that laurejon was right all along. That both the North Pole and the South pole had melted many many times before.

Seems to me like Climate change is very similar to Gordons no more boom to bust, its just fodder for the sheep, and the sad fact is they are biting hook line and sinker.

HOLA448
Seems to me like Climate change is very similar to Gordons no more boom to bust, its just fodder for the sheep, and the sad fact is they are biting hook line and sinker.

Yep.

At least there haven't been any attempts to link this event to man's activities - oh apart from the op's reference to "An Inconvenient Truth", which I can only assume was sarcasm.

HOLA449

Well we have heard it all now. Cow Fart Tax, Carbon Tax, and guess what those clever guys at NASA have now worked out ?

Climate change is slowing the earth down............................hell we are all doomed.

I suspect the earth being drawn towards the Sun is yet another man made event that can be limited if we reduce the weight of the planet by having less people. Bring in the Eugenics Team please.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/t...10rotation.html

HOLA4410
What I also find very strange is that there is oil in both the artic and the antartic.

How did it get there ?

I was taught that oil was the product of trees and various other decomposing materials that had been crushed over millions of years.

From Scientific American

Plate tectonics determines the location of oil and gas reservoirs and is the best key we have to understanding why deserts and arctic areas seem to hold the largest hydrocarbon reserves on earth.

[...]

The same plate tectonics that provides the locations and conditions for anoxic burial is also responsible for the geologic paths that these sedimentary basins subsequently take. Continental drift, subduction and collision with other continents provide the movement from swamps, river deltas and mild climates--where most organics are deposited--to the poles and deserts, where they have ended up today by coincidence. In fact, the Libyan Sahara Desert contains unmistakable glacial scars and Antarctica has extensive coal deposits--and very likely abundant oil and gas--that establish that their plates were once at the other ends of the earth.

Plate tectonics is also responsible for creating the "pressure cooker" that slowly matures the organics into oil and gas. This process usually takes millions of years, giving the oil and gas deposits plenty of time to migrate around the globe on the back of plate movements. Because these hydrocarbons are much more buoyant than water, they eventually force their way to the surface. Alternatively, rifting, collisions between land masses, and other tectonic forces can free the mature oil and gas from deep within sedimentary basins and then trap these organic fluids in reservoirs before they escape to the earth's surface. We know these reservoirs as oil and gas fields.

I'm sure that somewhere on the internet there must be a animation showing the continental drift involved, and how the various supercontinents (Pangaea etc) were formed and broke up, but I don't know exactly where to find them.

db

Edited by deeplyblue

HOLA4411
Well we have heard it all now. Cow Fart Tax, Carbon Tax, and guess what those clever guys at NASA have now worked out ?

Climate change is slowing the earth down............................hell we are all doomed.

I suspect the earth being drawn towards the Sun is yet another man made event that can be limited if we reduce the weight of the planet by having less people. Bring in the Eugenics Team please.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/t...10rotation.html

Yes! We need to reduce the weight on the earth, starting with the fat-arsed useless eaters who have nothing of value to contribute to society.

kirsty250_92806a.jpg

post-16847-1238979555_thumb.jpg

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Yes! We need to reduce the weight on the earth, starting with the fat-arsed useless eaters who have nothing of value to contribute to society.

Which MPs did you have in mind? Or were you thinking of their families?

Me, I'd for some comedians - oh, sorry, repeating myself.

db

HOLA4420

Here we go again, time for the Corporal Joneses to start running around the place panicing.

By the way, if it's broken off then then the debate is already over; it's displaced the water and sea levels have already assimilated the full impact. I do not have my water wings on, I think we may pull through this one boys.

Still waiting for Islands to disappear...

By the way, anyone found that tropical hot spot in the upper atmosphere yet?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Great news for supply and demand within the central areas. Hose prices should inflate accordingly. The further inland the more exspensive :lol:

Superb news. My house was built so long ago that it was before the whole fun concept of building on flood plains had ever been thought of.

HOLA4423
You are correct, but the issue here is whether the Ice is floating or on land. Do bear in mind Antartica is a continent and not just a sea ice cap, so most of the ice (several km) is on land.

Correct.

Do bear in mind though that the 99% of the ice which is on land is not in fact melting. Currently it's increasing.

Doesn't stop AGW though since all the polar bears have disappeared from Antarctica. What more evidence do you need?

HOLA4424

How did it get there ?

Its going to be amazing when all the ice melts and the scientists realise that laurejon was right all along. That both the North Pole and the South pole had melted many many times before.

If you want to know what's under the Antarctic ice sheet then read H P Lovecraft. Terrifying.

Shoggoths anyone?

Edited by youthoftoday

HOLA4425