House Price Crash Forum

London Property To Be Under Water In A Few Years

HOLA441
So will house prices go up in London due to this? I'm sure many people will advertise their house with a swimming pool :rolleyes:

They have just extended the life of the Thames Barrier. It will be defending London against a North Sea storm surge for a lot longer than planned.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
How can ice sheets be melting due to glabal warming, if there is no global warming?

This is more propaganda from the MMGW brigade to try and counter the fact that Global temperatures have been falling for the last 10 years.

In 2008 the Arctic Ice Cap expanded by about 30% and was larger than it had been since the 1980's.

Also Antarctic ice has been expanding for the last 5-10 years.

But of course, if one bit breaks off this is Gloabl headline news, the fact that it has grown by more in other areas is not reported.

The MMGW brigade have even now resorted to claiming that although Arctic ice appears to be expanding, it must be melting from underneath?

The Global Economic boom of the last 5-10 years was a CON and MMGW is a CON.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Didn't read the whole thread to see if this is mentioned, but the ice sheet is completely irrelevant to sea levels. It was on water, so it was already displacing the same amount of water as ice as it will when it has melted.

It's the ice that's on land, in places like Canada and Greenland, that will push sea levels up. Of course that ice is also melting, and that's what people should be worried about. The ice shelf is just an indicator of rising temperatures, but it breaking won't have any direct adverse impact on us.

HOLA445

Anyone wonder why Greenland is called Greenland if it is covered in ICE?

Because it was given the name when it was settled by the Vikings why lived and farmed there for hundreds of years in the Medieval warm period - when it was much hotter than it is now.

And was London underwater at the time?

http://green-agenda.com/greenland.html

:blink:

HOLA446
Antarctic (erm) ice is mostly on land.

Correct and ice is slowly fed off the land into the sea which periodically breaks off in huge chunks - as it has for X?thousands of years!

Antartica actually has an 'ice free' 'desert' area!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
I did Physics at school and some things still remain in my mind in particular archimedes principal

I remember that a floating body displaces its own weight, therefore if an iceburg melts why should there be an even bigger displacement??

Also water when it freezes expands in volume so the converse happens when it melts??

Can someone help on this

Stick some water in your freezer and watch the ice expand over the top of the tray - easy!

Also the first 'X' hundreds of feet of ice traps AIR which is compacted over time thru pressure (which is why the same Govt 'Scientist' fekkers measure ice-core-data 'air' samples from thousands of years ago!) which expands the 'volume' even more!

Edited by erranta

HOLA4411

So many people duped into believing that the 0.1% of CO2 that man produces is causing ice to melt that will kill us all.

Its all lies people. Wake up. Its designed to make you scared so they can put more restrictions on us.

THERE ARE NO TERRORISTS

THERE IS NO MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING

HOLA4412
Anyone wonder why Greenland is called Greenland if it is covered in ICE?

Because it was given the name when it was settled by the Vikings why lived and farmed there for hundreds of years in the Medieval warm period - when it was much hotter than it is now.

And was London underwater at the time?

http://green-agenda.com/greenland.html

:blink:

Idiot

The coastal strip was green as it is now. The fecking great lump of ice called the Greenland Ice sheet / cap has been there for 100,000's years

HOLA4413

The Tower of London was built on the bank of the Thames in 1078 when GREENland wasn't covered in Ice.

And Medieval depictions of the Tower when compared to modern photograps show that the water levels HAVE NOT CHANGED.

This is historical FACT.

Any of the MMGW boys like to try and explain this away?

:P

HOLA4414
The Tower of London was built on the bank of the Thames in 1078 when GREENland wasn't covered in Ice.

And Medieval depictions of the Tower when compared to modern photograps show that the water levels HAVE NOT CHANGED.

This is historical FACT.

You are a complete nob of the highest order.

HOLA4415
Idiot

The coastal strip was green as it is now. The fecking great lump of ice called the Greenland Ice sheet / cap has been there for 100,000's years

Quite, Game Over is a retard.

A lot of you seem quite convinced that global warming is not happening. As if you'd all travelled 10,000 years into the future and some bloke told you it never happened.

I'm open on the idea. Certainly the weather in Britain has become more extreme in my lifetime, and it seems naive to think man's activities will have no effect on the atmosphere. Whether it cause by man or not is irrelevant anyway, as we still need to find ways to mitigate its effects.

And anyway, if it means we all cut down our fossil fuel usage, recycle more and develop more efficient technologies then surely that is a good thing?

HOLA4416
Didn't read the whole thread to see if this is mentioned, but the ice sheet is completely irrelevant to sea levels. It was on water, so it was already displacing the same amount of water as ice as it will when it has melted.

It's the ice that's on land, in places like Canada and Greenland, that will push sea levels up. Of course that ice is also melting, and that's what people should be worried about. The ice shelf is just an indicator of rising temperatures, but it breaking won't have any direct adverse impact on us.

Never thought of that ,very good point.

HOLA4417
Correct.

Do bear in mind though that the 99% of the ice which is on land is not in fact melting. Currently it's increasing.

Doesn't stop AGW though since all the polar bears have disappeared from Antarctica. What more evidence do you need?

Um... there never have been polar bars in Antartica. If there were, the penguins would gang up and eat the bears.

HOLA4418

This is historical FACT.

The ice in the current greenland ice cap dates back to over 100,000 years. So approximately 99% of it was there when the Tower of London was built.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
I'm open on the idea. Certainly the weather in Britain has become more extreme in my lifetime

Well in my parent's lifetime UK weather has been getting much less extreme. e.g. Winters of 1947, 1963. Summer drought of 1976. Back then we had real weather. You must be living in a different UK than me.

HOLA4421
I'll just add it to the ever growing list of things that give me the shits!

What about we build 100's of inland reservoirs to hold this extra water, this will give us fresh water and electricity. The greens can't cry foul as it will help save the world. ;)

All you need is a hydro-dam between Scottish Mainland and Orkney Isles to collect energy flows between Atlantic + North Sea - prob enough free 'energy' supply for half of Europe!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Idiot

You are the fecking idiot actually.

In the Medieval warm period, it was hotter than it is now, therefore, whatever ice is supposedly going to melt due to 'Global Warming' now, would have melted THEN - which it did.

And all the historical evidence indicates that sea levels were NO DIFFERENT.

The Tower of London was built in 1078 and sea levels did not change either during the warm period OR during the little ice age which followed.

By your own primary school logic, during the little Ice Age, sea levels should have fallen significantly.

Did they?

HOLA4424
Um... there never have been polar bars in Antartica. If there were, the penguins would gang up and eat the bears.

My polar bear comment was said in jest.

Plenty of shoggoths in Antarctica though and they'd crush your gangs of penguins.

Edited by youthoftoday

HOLA4425
Quite, Game Over is a retard.

A lot of you seem quite convinced that global warming is not happening. As if you'd all travelled 10,000 years into the future and some bloke told you it never happened.

I'm open on the idea. Certainly the weather in Britain has become more extreme in my lifetime, and it seems naive to think man's activities will have no effect on the atmosphere. Whether it cause by man or not is irrelevant anyway, as we still need to find ways to mitigate its effects.

And anyway, if it means we all cut down our fossil fuel usage, recycle more and develop more efficient technologies then surely that is a good thing?

Even the most die hard skeptic would be hard pushed to claim Greenland was ice free 1000 years ago.

The Vikings on Greenland is one the Daily Mail skeptics favourites - completely misrepresenting the reasons for the fate of the green land vikings.

The real story is:

Coastal strip nice and green

Vikings settle initially using fishing as main source of food

Gradually swtich over to livestock and eventually tilling.

Plough thin soils in very wet maritime climate - soil soon washes into the sea

People starve

Edited by Kurt Barlow