"i Want £425,000 Or Else I'll Take It Off The Market"

HOLA441
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Yes I became tired of feral gangs of scrotes roaming round with knives and guns. I was tired of everything being at least twice as expensive as the rest of the UK. I was tired of spending an hour and a half stuck in traffic. I was tired of the miserable bastards on the tube every morning and evening. I was tired of the crowded dirty streets, tired of the crime, immigrants, pollution. Tired of the mentality of 90% of Londoners who can't see or accept that for me where I live now offers me a far better quality of life and an improved work / life balance.

Amen to that, but don't expect people 'living' there to see that until they take off their ridiculously overpriced smog tinted glasses. :lol:

HOLA444
Now some of you may recall Eric Pebble acquainting HPC'ers with a lovely lady who had just the right approach to selling in a restricted market. Wisdom from her included:

"We don't understand why it's not selling, it's such a lovely price" :blink:

and:

"If there's still no movement between now and late summer, we'll take it off the market

Silly women, why don't she just rent it out and lock-in her losses for ten years the Nationwide say

house prices WILL fall by 25% she can't lose it's a no brainer.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Give it a try, I was there for 7 years. I CAN compare - It's overrated.

I've lived in several places in the UK and in other countries. I think London's a pretty good place to live, but it depends on the individual I guess. I get the impression a lot of people slag it off just to seem big and clever. It's a big city, with all the great things and problems that go with that.

HOLA449
I've lived in several places in the UK and in other countries. I think London's a pretty good place to live, but it depends on the individual I guess. I get the impression a lot of people slag it off just to seem big and clever. It's a big city, with all the great things and problems that go with that.

I'm happy for you, seriously I am. Not my bag of whizz now, but thanks anyway. ;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If I want to do something in London (I go to loads of gigs and things there), I get on a train, go to London and get a cheap hotel for the night.

The place is great for things to do, but I see no reason why I should live there 365 days a year...

Surely the extra convenience isn't worth an extra £100 - £200k on the mortgage?

I suspect that the horrific state of our privatised public transport with it's miserable sweaty commuter trains is the main factor for London HPI... people just don't want to deal with that every morning.

Edited by DementedTuna

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
London is great. Give it a try. I wouldn't really want to live anywhere else.

The problem with London is that it ruins you for anywhere else in the UK.

Born in London. Lived in London for 30 years. Spent of a lot of my working life in central London.

London is a great place to live if you are wealthy, live in one of the nice parts and, ideally, can escape to the country at regular intervals.

For an average person doing an average job living in an average place like, say, Hammersmith or Acton, or Neasden or Stoke Newington ... I would describe London as a complete sh!thole and living there as, to say the least, very unpleasant. Which is why, ever since the end of the war, ever since home ownership became more widespread - there has been a mass migration from the outer London suburbs to the home county towns surrounding the capital. In the town I live in I constantly bump into people from the outer London suburb I hail from. Hundreds of thousands have migrated down the M4 over the last 50 years. They left London for A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE! It really is not a nice place unless you are loaded.

If you can afford to live in Hampstead, Chelsea, Belgravia, Mayfair, Kensington etc - and can afford to enjoy the facilities available - yes, great place to live.

HOLA4417

As much as I'm happy for all the folk that couldn't hack living in London and found somewhere they prefer for a large number of people evidence would suggest it has a lot of things going for it and one person's view really doesn't matter as far as property prices go does it?

I'd agree that money's useful, though wouldn't choose to live in Chelsea, Mayfair or Kensington - give me Hackney over West London any day.

HOLA4418
If I want to do something in London (I go to loads of gigs and things there), I get on a train, go to London and get a cheap hotel for the night.

The place is great for things to do, but I see no reason why I should live there 365 days a year...

Surely the extra convenience isn't worth an extra £100 - £200k on the mortgage?

For me visiting anywhere and thinking that's what it's like is missing the point, whether it's London or another country. You can never really know what living somewhere is like unless you live there. It's very easy to ignore the people on London transport, just grab a book or an iPod, but it's hard to mimic the social scene, for example, of London elsewhere as folk drive everywhere which gets in the way of unplanned going out. With everyone on the tube or bus one frequently finds themselves on an impromptu night out after work which from my experiences of living in other cities (and definitely when I live in the country) is fairly peculiar to London. It's not to everyone's taste, obviously, but it's silly to dismiss it.

I think for a lot of people they earn considerably more in London than they would elsewhere, as such the extra money on a mortgage doesn't really make a lot of odds. They could buy a cheaper house anywhere else but would also have to take a huge pay cut too.

HOLA4419

Lived and worked in and around it all my life. It's a sh1thole - have known those that grasped the "london life" with both hands. They now live in the sticks - went there just as soon as the appeal of being permanently poor, tired, mugged and pi55ed wore off.

Edited by sbn

HOLA4420
As much as I'm happy for all the folk that couldn't hack living in London and found somewhere they prefer for a large number of people evidence would suggest it has a lot of things going for it and one person's view really doesn't matter as far as property prices go does it?

I'd agree that money's useful, though wouldn't choose to live in Chelsea, Mayfair or Kensington - give me Hackney over West London any day.

I love the assumed superiority "Hack it" I lived in London for 5 years and left as soon as it became practical to do so. It had nothing to do with "Hacking it" at all. That's a bit like saying "As much as I'm happy for all those folk that couldn't hack living in the Superdome in New Orleans......."

Nothing wrong with London for some people, but there are no special skills required to live there is there?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Nothing wrong with London for some people, but there are no special skills required to live there is there?

By the number of people coming on saying they left for whatever reason (and seeming amazingly bitter about the place too) I can only assume there must be, not that it's something I've thought or care about. I just find it amazing how passionate folk get slating London though as you don't see many (any?) people saying how much of a shithole other places are. Seems a bit weird getting all uptight about a place you don't live in and millions of other folk do.

Then again I shouldn't be that surprised that folk on this forum are moaning about something really.

HOLA4423
By the number of people coming on saying they left for whatever reason (and seeming amazingly bitter about the place too) I can only assume there must be, not that it's something I've thought or care about. I just find it amazing how passionate folk get slating London though as you don't see many (any?) people saying how much of a shithole other places are. Seems a bit weird getting all uptight about a place you don't live in and millions of other folk do.

Then again I shouldn't be that surprised that folk on this forum are moaning about something really.

People are just responding to the usual tiresome overhyped claims of London residents. :lol:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Its a great place to be a young person - up to late 20's early 30's I'd say. After that the lack of basic services isnt really compensated for by the nightlife. which is why people try and escape when they have kids.

From a personal perspective London totally lost its sheen for me when we came back from Tokyo. A week later we went to one of the famous London nightclubs for a friends do, paid a fortune to get in, were treated like total sh1t by everyone who worked there and could barely move it was so packed with people trying to "be seen". The night cost a fortune, it was a nightmare and a half getting home and I suddenly became reacquainted with that "constant feeling of threat and menace" that is the backdrop for so many evenings out in British nightspots.

In Tokyo nightclubs were reasonable to get in and the staff were cordial and polite. Getting about after dark wasnt scary either. Personally I think that while there a lot to do London is very up itself and extremely expensive for what you get. It doesnt seem to put people off though.