House Price Crash Forum

Property Snake Website

bill65

HOLA441
could the snake move overseas to get round this copyright BS. Stick the server in gibraltar or somewhere like china.

Or if you are pulling the pages over http, proxy the connection :0) so all the connections come from different IP's!

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Oh no - a few weeks ago 26 properties listed in my postcode, went down to 8 when all the rightmove info got taken out, this morning it is down to only 4, with the total number of properties listed down from 80,000+ yesterday to 40,000 today - what has happened now???? I love this website, it's such a shame!!!

HOLA443
Oh no - a few weeks ago 26 properties listed in my postcode, went down to 8 when all the rightmove info got taken out, this morning it is down to only 4, with the total number of properties listed down from 80,000+ yesterday to 40,000 today - what has happened now???? I love this website, it's such a shame!!!

Yeah, I came to this thread/discussion to find out which EA/group had got p155y about it. Somebody's said "No" to propertysnake again. Pity. Wonder which one it is.

HOLA444
HOLA445
findaproperty most likely

Not sure how they work, but I suspected them at first, so I did a search and straight away found some findaproperty entries. So unless they are a franchise with each office deciding, it's not them.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Ah ... my mistake I think. I was confusing the two - their names being so similar.

Yes, PropertyFinder exists, can't find any FindAProperty entries

Oh well, it's still an indicator - not sure what of though as those are reductions, but it would still need to be compared over time along with the figures of: total listed, withdrawn, flogged.

Shame they're being p155y about it. If anything, it could do them a favour as people will be tempted by the discounts. It won't just be "the likes of us" using it. Or believing there will be any falls.

HOLA449

Yup! Looks like findaproperty.com entries have been removed. This sucks big time!!! :angry:

Why don't they just host this website in one of them countries that they can't touch you with any litigation crap?

HOLA4410

If they are so scared of being taken to court...

Why not sell/give away their website (code/technology) to as many people as possible and flood the market with property scrapping / price drop sites.

imho, rightmove and fap would have little success in threatening everybody.

Edited by studdymx

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

As I understand it the issue PS are having trouble with is the database right. This is esentially an EU only right. It is not something that is subject to multi-national agreements such as Berne/Paris/WIPO conventions.

As such it could easily be hosted in another country, even the US, and I would have though there would be some foreign domiciled readers of these boards who could help out.

HOLA4413
As I understand it the issue PS are having trouble with is the database right. This is esentially an EU only right. It is not something that is subject to multi-national agreements such as Berne/Paris/WIPO conventions.

As such it could easily be hosted in another country, even the US, and I would have though there would be some foreign domiciled readers of these boards who could help out.

Not that easy as Rightmove / property finder etc could ban the IP range accessing their websites with a fairly basic firewall config

HOLA4414
Not that easy as Rightmove / property finder etc could ban the IP range accessing their websites with a fairly basic firewall config

Do it through an AOL proxy. They use proxies in front of proxies. Only way to do it would be to block everyone on AOL and that ain't going to happen :-)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I hope they get it sorted, its a brilliant resource, so much so that I offered some cash to keep it running (and I'm seriously tight).

I agree it is a benefit for the agents, what's the purpose of reducing a property if not to attract more sellers, hence the new price sticker on the adverts. Can surely only help to increase volumes.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Excellent idea. I will email Rightmove & second your comments. I also offered a subscription to PS as I feel its such a valuable resource. I believe they are optimistic, so lets keep hoping! Considering over 35000 people have reaad this thread, if they all emailed RM, thats surely got to make them sit up & take notice

HOLA4419
Excellent idea. I will email Rightmove & second your comments. I also offered a subscription to PS as I feel its such a valuable resource. I believe they are optimistic, so lets keep hoping! Considering over 35000 people have reaad this thread, if they all emailed RM, thats surely got to make them sit up & take notice

I'll second that! ;)

For those interested, rightmove's email address is: talk-to-us@rightmove.co.uk

Edited by studdymx

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
(and I'm seriously tight).

I like you. A lot. There's nothing wrong with being tight. People say it like it's a bad thing, but it is exercising strict control on what you are prepared to exchange your hard earned cash for.

HOLA4422

Just had a reply;

Thank you for your email regarding property snake.

We were asked to stop allowing property snake using our data by a number of our member agents. Estate agents and new home builders retain full copyright over the photos and details uploaded to us as part of our contract with them. We are obliged to protect this copyright and take all reasonable steps to ensure the copyright is not breached.

We are looking at adding a similar feature to our site in the future along with some different search options.

Regards,

Peter Brooks-Johnson

Product Director.

Makes you wonder what the tipping point is? How about just postcode and price reduction +/- bedrooms. At what point does it become theft?

HOLA4423
Just had a reply;

Thank you for your email regarding property snake.

We were asked to stop allowing property snake using our data by a number of our member agents. Estate agents and new home builders retain full copyright over the photos and details uploaded to us as part of our contract with them. We are obliged to protect this copyright and take all reasonable steps to ensure the copyright is not breached.

We are looking at adding a similar feature to our site in the future along with some different search options.

Regards,

Peter Brooks-Johnson

Product Director.

Makes you wonder what the tipping point is? How about just postcode and price reduction +/- bedrooms. At what point does it become theft?

There is nothing to stop them using basic information and no photos, alghough i think they might even be allowed to use thumbnails under fair use in the same way that google do with their image search. price data is in the public domain if it's published.

HOLA4424

Copyright would refer to the photos. So if they were removed it would be OK (although it would mean more effort for the likes of you/I to look at what sort of properties were reduced).

The fact a house has X number of bedrooms and is for sale at £X is in the public domain. As is the postcode of a house.

So simple listings would not breach copyright.

As for retaining the date/price information to show when it came onto the market and when it was reduced - that would be the grey area. But I'd stick with the fact that the information was in the public domain - and even under (what I understand to be) copyright laws, as this is a miniscule proportion of the original details it couldn't be counted.

So take the photos out and job's a good 'un in my book.

Personally, seeing the properties reduced/for sale gives me a perceived sense of bargain/value that it is hard to walk away from. I bet ultimately I'd be more likely to buy a house via a link on propertysnake than one I'd trawled all the way through EA sites to find.

Just that "sense of a bargain" - even though I know the property must have been overpriced to start with .... you've gotta love a "bargain".

So I'd say, on the balance of things, propertysnake is a good sales vehicle that should not be underestimated by the individual EAs

HOLA4425

I think you're wrong. The law (basically) disallows the copying of a database that takes effort to collect and maintain.

Copyright would refer to the photos. So if they were removed it would be OK (although it would mean more effort for the likes of you/I to look at what sort of properties were reduced).

The fact a house has X number of bedrooms and is for sale at £X is in the public domain. As is the postcode of a house.

So simple listings would not breach copyright.

As for retaining the date/price information to show when it came onto the market and when it was reduced - that would be the grey area. But I'd stick with the fact that the information was in the public domain - and even under (what I understand to be) copyright laws, as this is a miniscule proportion of the original details it couldn't be counted.

So take the photos out and job's a good 'un in my book.

Personally, seeing the properties reduced/for sale gives me a perceived sense of bargain/value that it is hard to walk away from. I bet ultimately I'd be more likely to buy a house via a link on propertysnake than one I'd trawled all the way through EA sites to find.

Just that "sense of a bargain" - even though I know the property must have been overpriced to start with .... you've gotta love a "bargain".

So I'd say, on the balance of things, propertysnake is a good sales vehicle that should not be underestimated by the individual EAs