House Price Crash Forum

Southampton: New tower block with 400 studio flats and six kitchens

HOLA441
HOLA442
2 hours ago, anonguest said:

Are you kidding? I could have sworn that sort of offence barely gets you more than a suspended sentence and community service these days? 😉

Heck, you can be an illegal immigrant get convicted of a sex offence and still not be legally required to be deported upon completion of sentence.

Everything is being devalued these days - including the justice system.

I've written about this before.  As the standard/quality and price of housing continues to fall the gap between prison living and 'free' living narrows to an alarmingly small difference that a point will come when the sentiment you voice here will become much more commonplace.

When people have nothing to lose they lose it!

Sadly you are right 

HOLA443
4 hours ago, FANG said:

You may a well punch a few coppers and get one of these free for a few years.

Why overpay for it as there is no difference really.

New 'smart' prison with no bars on windows and cells called 'rooms' is ...

New 'smart' prison with no bars on windows and cells called 'rooms' is no 'soft touch', says justice secretary Dominic Raab | UK News | Sky News  

Not the same. In the communal areas of the prison you will have to navigate violent, nasty people. Personally I don't fancy sugar and boiling water in my face, which I have read is a favoured form of attack for a slight.

HOLA444
34 minutes ago, MancTom said:

Not the same. In the communal areas of the prison you will have to navigate violent, nasty people. Personally I don't fancy sugar and boiling water in my face, which I have read is a favoured form of attack for a slight.

Well just don't piss anyone off then.

You may be afforded some protection by solitary confinement or the prison guards and what do you expect for £0.00.

Imagine the carnage in the block that you will be paying for. 

image.png.563e537f18e617c267bee08c899186fe.png

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, MancTom said:

Boiling water I get. But... What's with the sugar?

That aside, your comment is still a bit of a generalisation though?

There are prisons and there are prisons.  Not read the article in full but am guessing these new cells will be minimum security type prisons?  It refers to HMP Five Wells which, apparently, is a Category C prison - so relatively low levels of risk of violence presumably?

So, IF the idea holds true and the convict meets the requirements (e.g. first time offender/never in trouble with the law previously, older age, non-violent crime of not too great a nature, etc.) then for a selected few it could really be a way of avoiding having to work for a living for a while.  😉

Edited by anonguest

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
2 minutes ago, bomberbrown said:
17 minutes ago, MancTom said:

apparently it makes it stick to the skin.

It also increases the temperature too. Boiling water is only 100 degrees. Boiling sugar is much hotter.  

Ahhh.  Nasty!  😞

HOLA4411
On 2/27/2024 at 10:38 AM, FANG said:

You may a well punch a few coppers and get one of these free for a few years.

Why overpay for it as there is no difference really.

New 'smart' prison with no bars on windows and cells called 'rooms' is ...

New 'smart' prison with no bars on windows and cells called 'rooms' is no 'soft touch', says justice secretary Dominic Raab | UK News | Sky News  

You may scoff, but many older people in Japan are choosing prison life as they are taken care of better there.

HOLA4412
14 minutes ago, sta100 said:

You may scoff, but many older people in Japan are choosing prison life as they are taken care of better there.

That doesn't sound very Japanese! I suspect they're more likely to kill themselves than bring shame on the family name.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On 2/27/2024 at 9:31 AM, Dyson Fury said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/24142689.southampton-new-tower-block-400-flats-six-kitchens/

Think about those floor areas and how they translate to the actual room sizes.  18.5 sq m is 200 sq ft = 20ft x 10ft, or 17ft x 12ft.  This is to include living area, bed (are these the ones that fold up into the wall to save space?), cooking area and en-suite.  

Summary of comments from this and earlier articles on the proposal:

- will the lifts to upper floors work reliably

- what will be the condition of the communal halls and stairwells

- what will be the condition of the  communal kitchens and dining areas

- sounds like a giant HMO

- a similar scheme is London now has rooms that can be rented by the hour

- a slumlord scheme for housing illegal migrants paid for by the Home Office

- a slumlord scheme for housing transients at LHA rates paid for by the local council

etc etc etc

I guess we will be onto pods next at £100,000 a pop.

Never been to Southampton but assuming from this development there is probably a reason for that.