House Price Crash Forum

We Need To Talk About Immigration

HOLA441

The ONS issued a national population projection last month

Predicting that nearly 14million people will move to the UK between 2021 and 2036.

That is more than the present-day population of Greater London, Greater Manchester and Birmingham combined.

Where are all these people going to live and property prices will remain high to meet the demand.

This is a very worrying article that spells more misery for the UK. So just budge up and squeeze a few more in.  

We need to talk about immigration - spiked (spiked-online.com)

Edited by FANG

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I remember the days when questioning immigration led to you being branded a racist. Nowadays, it's pretty much openly discussed as something that needs to be addressed pretty sharpish.

Funny how things change!

I guess the whole 'immigration isn't an issue' position died when public services went to shit, housing became unaffordable and wages stagnated...Not to mention when we started importing criminals and unskilled labour from EE and the third world.

Just to be clear, I'm not anti immigration and I have never labelled anyone racist for saying immigration is too high.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
48 minutes ago, Housepricecrash91 said:

Nowadays, it's pretty much openly discussed as something that needs to be addressed pretty sharpish.

Funny how things change!

I guess the whole 'immigration isn't an issue' position died when public services went to shit, housing became unaffordable and wages stagnated...Not to mention when we started importing criminals and unskilled labour from EE and the third world.

But, nothing will be done because it is not that simple 

HOLA447
8 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

the flip side to this is that when the wheels come off the uk economy and their home economies out pace us, huge swathes will return and leave the uk in an even worse state.

I think that is happening now and a lot of them still get paid their UK benefits whilst they spend time in their countries of origin.

HOLA448
8 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

the flip side to this is that when the wheels come off the uk economy and their home economies out pace us, huge swathes will return and leave the uk in an even worse state.

I am coming across a few Indians that I know that going to live in India, these are British Indians born and bred here in the UK some in their 50s rent the house out and you will live like a king there, I pulled one up about it he is 55/56 he said my dad died when he was 67 so I am no longer going to work I don’t need the latest iPhone I want a relaxing life 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
2 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

there is a baby bust going on.

the ratio of retired to working age is becoming worse, and already talks of raising retirement age to 71

need someone to be paying taxes when we retire 

Cut pensions to the oldies. Tax them to the hilt. Why should the young subsidise your old age? 

HOLA4413
12 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

Why would people who come to the UK for easy money want to pay taxes so British Boomers can have an easy life?

HOLA4414
3 hours ago, Housepricecrash91 said:

I remember the days when questioning immigration led to you being branded a racist.

It's not racist its numberist. Everyone in the UK thinks like this because government policy punishes areas that grow, via rationed housing, public services and traffic.

Edited by whitemice

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
39 minutes ago, Eddie_George said:

We need to talk about mass deportations.

We depend on massive amounts of money coming here from dodgy countries, a sniff of that kind of behaviour and all that money will stop, sacrificing the working class so that the middle class can have a good standard of living does make sense, no point in both the working class and middle class not having a pot to piss in.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
5 hours ago, Housepricecrash91 said:

I remember the days when questioning immigration led to you being branded a racist. Nowadays, it's pretty much openly discussed as something that needs to be addressed pretty sharpish.

Funny how things change!

Just to be clear, I'm not anti immigration and I have never labelled anyone racist for saying immigration is too high.

I am a bit confused.......why if public services are now shit, property and rents so unaffordable, working conditions poor, wages low, do so many people want to come here......surely there must be better countries now could move to?;)

HOLA4423
2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

there is a baby bust going on.

the ratio of retired to working age is becoming worse, and already talks of raising retirement age to 71

But as pointed out if GDP isn't growing in line with immigration (which is happening) this alone isn't going to solve that problem.

They're simply at this point throwing numbers at the problem and magically hoping somethings going to fix it. The UK needs serious reform alongside it which isn't forthcoming from two parties stuck in 1960 thinking. 

5 hours ago, Roman Roady said:

It will to a point but it won't fix the underlying trend. 

We're not really bringing in the skilled labour anymore, why would an educated well heeled Indian come to live in the UK anymore and leave behind a genuine growing economy at home offering better opportunity? 

By and large we're very very good at hoovering up other nations dross with nothing to lose back home and life here would have to become pretty goddam sh1t before they reach the conclusion they're better off returning home. We hoover up the numbers we do thanks by and large to a welfare state never designed for migrating hoards. 

It's cracking council budgets and it's going to crack the deficit in the absence of GDP growth. You can forget the Tories doing anything now, Labours about to be gifted the worlds sh1ttest handover. 

Edited by Casual-observer

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
9 hours ago, Housepricecrash91 said:

I personally think if you say something along the lines of “high levels of reciprocal migration good, high levels of net inward  migration bad” it is very difficult to see this as racism.  

I remember having this discussion with some on the Brexit thread four years or so ago and being considered bigoted or racist at the time.  But as you say, the effects that I was seeing in poorer towns in the midlands at the time are now clearer more widely across the U.K. and so there is a more widespread understanding of the need to control levels of net inward migration than there was at the time.