House Price Crash Forum

Lidl and Aldi gaining market share - Surprise Surprise

HOLA441
10 minutes ago, TheResponsibleHouseBuyer said:

This..... there's a lot of poor quality. This wasn't the case a few years ago, almost all their expensive stuff e.g. meats, wines/spirits were regarded very good, even beating bigger supermarkets on taste/quality.

Doubt that's the case anymore.

I think the yoghurts and butter have always been like that.  German tastes ?

Another thing is the lack of customer toilets, which is actually very important for ladies over a certain age.  Although I do notice that recently-built stores do have a disabled toilet, presumably because of some legislation.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
15 minutes ago, TheResponsibleHouseBuyer said:

Right - the only way to beat inflation is to shop smartly. I dont have every supermarket within a 5 mile radius, but if you did you would go in one for xxx item cheaper on the week then shop at supmarket 2, 3 ,4 etc to get other bits and pieces. Shopping in LIDL and ALDI alone i think you will get scammed on a few items.

When i mean scammed, you still may get a cheaper basket, but at what cost? Smaller product, cheaper ingredients? 

I've got every supermarket within a 5 mile radius (actually more like 3 miles).  Well OK not Waitrose but I doubt I'm missing many bargains there.

You are absolutely correct, these days you have to shop around and buy up the offers when and where they occur.

HOLA443

The supermarkets more often offer loyalty cards, to want you to do all the weekly food shop with them.....some supermarkets are better for certain foods, most will offer weekly better priced fruit and veg.....cook fresh dishes weekly depending on what is best value at the time......if possible shop around.;)

HOLA444
8 hours ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

But they are still significantly cheaper than their competitors and if there is more demand for their products it should allow them to have bigger economies of scale making them more efficient.

This should allow them to reduce prices or at least keep prices low.

They're not though. Tesco price match all the main budget line items with Aldi. If you take advantage of special offers you can often find thing cheaper in Tesco than Aldi. (Quorn was something I picked up today that was on offer, it was one of those weird ones where the offer made the smaller pack better value than the large size)

I tend to use both stores equally. Some things I prefer from Aldi and others I prefer from Tesco. 

HOLA445
6 hours ago, kzb said:

I think the yoghurts and butter have always been like that.  German tastes ?

Another thing is the lack of customer toilets, which is actually very important for ladies over a certain age.  Although I do notice that recently-built stores do have a disabled toilet, presumably because of some legislation.

ive never seen a lidl or aldi without a toilet. im in scotland, i dont know if that makes a diffrence. my local aldi has a mens, womens and a disabled toilet. its a smaller local one not a large out of town one. 

when im out and about with my kids on a daytrip you can always rely on nipping into an aldi/lidl if the kids need the loo. small midsize asda/sainsburys/morrisons arent guaranteed to have one but lidl and aldi always.  

HOLA446
9 hours ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

Have noticed whenever I shop at Lidl it is rare I have to queue.

The major supermarkets it is usually the opposite despite what appears to be more staff working the floors there.

Can't figure out why that is.

You would assume the budget supermarkets would have longer waiting times.

That's usually how it works with cheap companies regardless of the type of industry involved.

Disagree, one of my bug bears with our Aldi is they randomly close checkouts while loads of people are waiting. They have installed brand new self checkout a but only 50% of them are ever working. The stuff is cheaper but most of the own brand stuff is of lower quality and less of it . The multipack crisps fr example have about 3 crisps per packet. Don’t get me wrong I still shop there just some products we still have to buy in Sainsbury’s/Asda

HOLA447

I think all supermarkets have cottoned onto the trick of fluctuating prices. One week there will be a special offer on crisps or washing powder, and then the next week the price zooms up again. Obviously you can get around it by smart shopping and alternating which store you shop from. The supermarkets are hoping that many people won't have the time or energy to do this, so they'll stick with the store they find most convenient. 

HOLA448
6 hours ago, wighty said:

Sainsbury meal deal £5

TTD 4 Steak Quarter Pounders 454g plus  Budweiser 6x300ml

See Aldi / Lidl beat that.

Aldi own brand has increased significantly in price. Their meat and fresh food is worse quality than Sainsburys.

Still have a few things cheaper.

I get vouchers from Sainsbury most weeks- £6 off £40 spend next week.

Co-op do this type of offer from time to time. The last one iirc was 2 pizzas and 4 bottles of beer for approx a fiver (or was it six?)  That Sainsburys deal does look very good. The trouble is, the Co-op do overcharge on many items so you have to be careful if you shop there (which I do as it's very close to me). I would shop more in Sainsburys but they are too far from me. Well I am closer to their small outlets but the prices are higher there - better prices in Waitrose! 

HOLA449

Wonder if store location is playing a big part here.

If there are Lidl and Aldi stores in more affluent areas perhaps they increase their prices.

Not all the stores are going to have uniform pricing, I think.

The Aldi or Lidl store near me (get confused over the two) is pretty cheap.

Will have to make a note of their prices next time I go in.

HOLA4410
34 minutes ago, regprentice said:

ive never seen a lidl or aldi without a toilet. im in scotland, i dont know if that makes a diffrence. my local aldi has a mens, womens and a disabled toilet. its a smaller local one not a large out of town one. 

when im out and about with my kids on a daytrip you can always rely on nipping into an aldi/lidl if the kids need the loo. small midsize asda/sainsburys/morrisons arent guaranteed to have one but lidl and aldi always.  

Have a true tale to tell about a Lidl without a toilet......parked in lidl carpark, signs not clear that said could only stay a specified amount of time, did a bit of extra shopping nearby after shopping in lidl and putting purchases in boot of car.....few days later they got an over stay parking penalty, photo of car and the person driving it time in, time out.....parking fee waved as said after shopping at lidl needed to use the toilet urgently so had to look for a public toilet nearby hence why exceeded time restriction.....any carpark really important to note how long can stay, not always made clear, usually private companies operating.;)

Edited by winkie
they it was't me

HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, winkie said:

Have a true tale to tell about a Lidl without a toilet......parked in lidl carpark, signs not clear that said could only stay a specified amount of time, did a bit of extra shopping nearby after shopping in lidl and putting purchases in boot of car.....few days later got an over stay parking penalty, photo of car and the person driving it time in, time out.....parking fee waved as said after shopping at lidl needed to use the toilet urgently so had to look for a public toilet nearby hence why exceeded time restriction.....any carpark really important to note how long can stay, not always made clear, usually private companies operating.;)

Similar sorts of things have happened to peeps I know. Car parks are essential ly owned by private companies nowt to do with Lidl/Aldi. Check signs at all large stores / retail parks for parking weirdness designed to catch you out

HOLA4412

Store location plays a big part I think.

Asda, Morrison and Waitrose I’ve used on occasion but very rarely. Sainsburys I’ve used too but a little more often.

M+S was always the place for most things - because it was the closest. Yes it was more expensive than Tesco which was another 3 miles but not hugely so and the quality was always excellent. This was nearly 10 years ago however.

The mainstay over the last 6-7 years has been Tesco. Post covid however a couple of new places open up which are much closer - a new Lidl and a new Aldi. Both about the same distance away by car but in opposite directions.

On the rare occasion I shop anywhere other than these new Lidl and Aldi stores, it’s usually Tesco for a small shop. And I’m always staggered that I walk out of there with a single bag having paid 50 odd quid or sometimes more! You get a trolley full from Lidl or Aldi for a similar price!

Yes not incredibly scientific but the feeling is there and it’s not incorrect..

Edited by Sackboii

HOLA4413
9 minutes ago, clarkey said:

Similar sorts of things have happened to peeps I know. Car parks are essential ly owned by private companies nowt to do with Lidl/Aldi. Check signs at all large stores / retail parks for parking weirdness designed to catch you out

Any opportunity to make money or take your money.....doesn't happen in all places....got to have your wits about you at all times, not exactly relaxing.

I will never go back to a retail park when taking an elderly person shopping, rather a slow process to go to the stores they wanted to look at, needed a few things including a pair of shoes could walk in before buying, then needed a cup of tea and something sweet for energy so cake it was.....they really enjoyed the trip and chance to get out of the house and be taken somewhere.....got a £90 parking fine for exceeding time allowed by five minutes......didn't know there was a time limit, not clear at all....what a rip off. ;)

HOLA4414
10 hours ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

Have noticed whenever I shop at Lidl it is rare I have to queue.

The major supermarkets it is usually the opposite despite what appears to be more staff working the floors there.

Can't figure out why that is.

You would assume the budget supermarkets would have longer waiting times.

That's usually how it works with cheap companies regardless of the type of industry involved.

Aldi and Lidl pay well compared to the others, but expect graft. Look at your average tesco employee, utterly useless, lazy, likely only doing it for the benefit top up. Makes a big difference imo

HOLA4415
9 hours ago, TheResponsibleHouseBuyer said:

Dont forget your free coffee....

haha, yes indeed!

It's out of a fricking machine!

They have a decent cafe in mine but they don't do takeaway cups (but they do for the free coffee FFS) and I don't have time to sit in there and drink one. 

HOLA4416
9 hours ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

I use Waitrose too.

I find Waitrose is good for high quality products but for the rest they are just rip off merchants.

They have a good selection of raw cheese on their shelves and you can get good quality chorizo.

For basic things like toilet roll, washing up liquid, crisps and bin bags then Aldi and Lidl are much much cheaper.

Waitrose have a big mark up on branded items too be it Heinz or Kellogg's etc.

Their ready meals are expensive.

Some of their prices are outright disgusting. Daylight robbery.

Fully agreed. High end stuff it's hard to find anywhere else. Generic labelled stuff it's probably another level of WAT (Waitrose Added Tax) on the VAT.

Since it's walking distance though I must admit I use them more than I should. Also have an Inspire award scheme at work (points given for good jobs and then converted to prizes including Waitrose/John Lewis Vouchers) so I will take a £100 voucher down there and restock whisky cabinet. When they have stuff on offer it's actually good value tbf, wines too. As you correctly observe though their standard pricing is simply there to keep the riffraff in Tescos I think. 

HOLA4417

The trick when shopping at Lidl is go go through the checkout as quick as possible. The staff are multi role, so move to the tills when requested. As for loyalty cards, they are yet another way of harvesting data. You may lie to your doctor about how many units of alcohol you consume each week, but the supermarkets often have this data. This Meta data has a commercial value, both for the retailer and to be sold on the open market. Data brokers are a big business.  

https://surfshark.com/blog/what-is-a-data-broker

HOLA4418
5 minutes ago, cbathpc said:

Aldi and Lidl pay well compared to the others, but expect graft. Look at your average tesco employee, utterly useless, lazy, likely only doing it for the benefit top up. Makes a big difference imo

Waitrose staff best looking imho. 

Just something I've noted.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
10 minutes ago, Unmoderated said:

Fully agreed. High end stuff it's hard to find anywhere else. Generic labelled stuff it's probably another level of WAT (Waitrose Added Tax) on the VAT.

Since it's walking distance though I must admit I use them more than I should. Also have an Inspire award scheme at work (points given for good jobs and then converted to prizes including Waitrose/John Lewis Vouchers) so I will take a £100 voucher down there and restock whisky cabinet. When they have stuff on offer it's actually good value tbf, wines too. As you correctly observe though their standard pricing is simply there to keep the riffraff in Tescos I think. 

The 25% off any 6 bottles of wine in Waitrose is a good shout for stock up/voucher use as long as you purchase wines that were decent/reasonably priced at full

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, Unmoderated said:

Fully agreed. High end stuff it's hard to find anywhere else....

Waitrose is particularly english though. my on laws in oxford lived within 5 minutes of one in a fairly rural area but here in Scotland for a long time there was only one branch. maps tells me there are 6 in scotland now, but i havent come across any on my travels. They just seem to be in posh housing areas. My in laws moved to wales and i think its a similar story there  

HOLA4422

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the shockingly high prices in ASDA! It's a matter worthy of it's own topic.

I've refused to go back in there. They're playing a game where they stock the minimum quantity of own brnaded goods, so when they run out people have to buy the vastly overpriced branded goods.

One small example, nearly £5/kg for chips?

image.png.d1ae75a0bb95d51b69978f529cb6bf83.png

Similar product in ALDI

image.thumb.png.80da6638b9f4de44347ac248da46f7bf.png

I hear you cry, that Asda will also have a cheaper own branded product - Yes they will, but they are deliberately stocking a small quantity to keep the appearance of low prices. Unless you go in at 8 am you won't find any stock!

They even went as far as limiting 3 of any value product to customers - they seem to have dropped this after bad publicity.

3 x cans of beans is enough for your family of 6 sir!

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Unmoderated said:

Waitrose staff best looking imho. 

Just something I've noted.

Maybe the age contrast of staff compared to their average customer?......young families with a couple of hungry kids do not shop in Waitrose......always the exception.;)

HOLA4424
5 minutes ago, Wurzel Of Highbridge said:

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the shockingly high prices in ASDA! It's a matter worthy of it's own topic.

I've refused to go back in there. They're playing a game where they stock the minimum quantity of own brnaded goods, so when they run out people have to buy the vastly overpriced branded goods.

One small example, nearly £5/kg for chips?

image.png.d1ae75a0bb95d51b69978f529cb6bf83.png

Similar product in ALDI

image.thumb.png.80da6638b9f4de44347ac248da46f7bf.png

I hear you cry, that Asda will also have a cheaper own branded product - Yes they will, but they are deliberately stocking a small quantity to keep the appearance of low prices. Unless you go in at 8 am you won't find any stock!

They even went as far as limiting 3 of any value product to customers - they seem to have dropped this after bad publicity.

3 x cans of beans is enough for your family of 6 sir!

Asda need to be pay for the 2billion or so of debt they have been laden with.

Like supporting man utd, you pay extra, and the store/stadium is falling apart as all the money goes to paying off the owners loans 

HOLA4425
42 minutes ago, winkie said:

Maybe the age contrast of staff compared to their average customer?......young families with a couple of hungry kids do not shop in Waitrose......always the exception.;)

Haha, yeah it could be it's the relative positioning at the time