House Price Crash Forum

Are Britain's planned 15-minute cities effectively 15-minute control grids?

HOLA441
Just now, Mrs Doyle said:

The anti LTN lobby in Oxford is vociferous but a Yougov survey had them in second place. 

Yougov breaks a central tenet of statistics.  It's a self-selected population.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
19 minutes ago, Smith said:

If you ever have dealings with a government agency, or meet the type of people they seem to employ, you might not be so sure of this! 🤣

He's one of them :)

HOLA443

I've just watched her video... she makes a great point... and it should set off alarm bells in each of you who are looking at this with your rose-tinted glasses... They haven't started this by building new schools, hospitals, leisure parks and libraries, they start by erecting barricades and surveillance cameras...

HOLA444
HOLA445
7 minutes ago, Mrs Doyle said:

As if local authorities have the time or money to do that for every local issue. 

We have what's called a representative democracy. 

Local Independent candidates standing on an anti LTN platform lost and you want a replay. 

I personally am not bothered what goes on in Oxford.  You're welcome to it.  In fact it will be an interesting experiment which thankfully I am not involved in.

HOLA446
1 minute ago, Mrs Doyle said:

You appear to have an image of barbed wire fences around areas. 

Pupils are allowed to move schools. 

Plenty of people get a different job every couple of years.  Either because they have to, or it's the only way to get on in your career.

HOLA447
1 minute ago, warpig said:

I've just watched her video... she makes a great point... and it should set off alarm bells in each of you who are looking at this with your rose-tinted glasses... They haven't started this by building new schools, hospitals, leisure parks and libraries, they start by erecting barricades and surveillance cameras...

Where are the barricades

Just now, kzb said:

I personally am not bothered what goes on in Oxford.  You're welcome to it.  In fact it will be an interesting experiment which thankfully I am not involved in.

Did you only pass through for the protest? 

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
27 minutes ago, kzb said:

Quite.

Also it is the training ground for governments.

The fetish scene really has gone down hill.

2 minutes ago, warpig said:

They can know who stole the nipple clamps.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
3 minutes ago, nightowl said:

They'll have to do the vote again until they get the answer right, as the majority didn't understand the question clearly😉

The Manchester charge does demonstrate why this goes beyond a green issue and over into the realms of the way the people the run the country or oxford council and their relationship with the masses.

Given the amount of moaning about congestion I hear when I visit relatives in Manchester, maybe they didn't. 

HOLA4420
57 minutes ago, Smith said:

Do you think it's also possible that the Highways Agency just made a mistake or aren't very good at their job? Why is it "pretty obvious" that this is deliberate?

Politicians have form for this. Highways agency is a government department. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/revealed-how-livingstone-has-brought-congestion-to-capital-179564.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/27/traffic-lights-london-will-automatically-set-red/

Edited by dpg50000

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
5 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Given the amount of moaning about congestion I hear when I visit relatives in Manchester, maybe they didn't. 

Except the congestion zoning won't make many people's lives better. It will either move it somewhere else or vastly limit access to certain area so people will have a worse experience than the jams in the end. 

The options your relatives will face will be either sit in a traffic jam, or not go there much at all. It.doesnt make things better. 

HOLA4424
1 minute ago, dpg50000 said:

Politicians have form for this. Highways agency is a government department. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/revealed-how-livingstone-has-brought-congestion-to-capital-179564.html

Did you read the article?

Traffic light timings, it claims, have been altered to give pedestrians longer to cross roads, to give priority to buses and to deter cars from major snarl-ups around roadwork schemes in places like Trafalgar Square.

Left to itself traffic increases until congestion itself limits it. Far better to manage the traffic flow before that happens. Otherwise you are end up trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot and end up with things like "Smart" motorways.   

HOLA4425
13 minutes ago, nightowl said:

😂 That's getting desperate

The next level is to request a peer reviewed study on the definition 😉

Nope, it's a straightforward request because I don't believe you understand the definition of words you use.