House Price Crash Forum

Tesla...............the Betamax of future cars?

HOLA441
14 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

My Model S - a P90D ludicrous, on 21 inch wheels 8 months of the year and 19” winters the rest has a wh/mi avg of 312 over the last 50k miles, inc trips all over the Uk. I generally do 60 mph on the motorway, but sometimes greater and do make use of ludicrous occasionally.

There was definitely something wrong with that model 3 that @Jean-Luc had, and I don’t blame them for being disillusioned if Tesla refused to acknowledge it!

I currently do lots of 250 mile return journeys at 70-75mph before refuelling. Is the ludicrous capable of this?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
15 minutes ago, Lagarde's Drift said:

I currently do lots of 250 mile return journeys at 70-75mph before refuelling. Is the ludicrous capable of this?

No, I wouldn't honestly say so. Not on 21s, and not at that speed, and not after 100k miles. Although unless you are constantly moving, you could use a street type 7kw charger if available for a couple of hours whilst conducting whatever business before commencing the return journey. 

Mine might do it on 19" wheels, and using 95% charge in good weather. 

Otherwise it would be a 5 minute supercharger charge stop to make it possible. I wouldn't do it like that though, I'd just do a 20-80% charge at some point as near to home as possible. 

But it is free so 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA443
13 hours ago, Jean-Luc said:

No they don't.

My leaf can do everything the model 3 could do and in some cases does it better. Tesla couldn't even make auto wipers work properly and that is decades old tech. Only thing tesla have is autopilot which is just lane assist and plenty of other cars are capable of it as well. My old mondeo can park itself without any driver input my tesla couldn't do that.

What they do have the others don't is a supply/manufacturing train to build a large amount of BEV's that nobody wants. I'm not sure that counts as much of an advantage lol 😂

Will be interesting to see what is in store for BEV's in 2024. IMHO BEV has reached it's peak and without aggressive intervention from government to coerce more people into BEV then the demand will remain flat.

The Leaf is a Meh car for people who just want a car to get them from A to B. Nothing wrong with that but not even vaguely comparable with a Model 3.

Rather than argue with an internet random lets have a look at What Cars review of the 2024 Leaf and Model 3.

Nissan Leaf Review 2024 | What Car?

In brief it gets a 3 star review, with suspension/ride, build quality and reliability only meriting 2 stars. Also has some issues with occupant safety.

Tesla Model 3 Review 2024 | What Car?

In brief it gets a 5 star review, quality gets 4 stars (a match for the BMW i4). It's even better that the Leaf on ownership costs.

The conclusion of this test is that the Tesla is a great car and so far ahead of the opposition it makes them look a bit silly. 

Worth noting that while What Car makes lots of money from Nissan and VW they get nothind from Tesla.

HOLA444
HOLA445
10 hours ago, Lagarde's Drift said:

Maybe not a 2018 Model S ... but a 2023/24 Model 3 or Model 7 - easily. And a large (and growing) number of other manufacturer's EVs would be fine with this too.

And if you are doing mileage like that and you are not charging at home then it's costing you a fortune.

You may never want an EV (and may not buy one for another 10 years) - but EVs (and Tesla) are not betamax, they are here to stay.

Not least of which because even the 250 mile return journeys 'often' use case is well catered for.

HOLA446
2 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

I wont knock the share price, but i closed my positions in December. over the years i think i have made around 30k on them. i dont believe in the company and its cars are some of the most uncomfortable I have ever been in. I just jumped on the coattails of the rampers 😁

In fairness the Tesla Model Y was the best selling car in the world last year, despite being an expensive car.  So they must be doing something right.

This year they will see massive growth in energy storage.

Their next phase of massive growth in car sales begins at the end of next year.

HOLA447
HOLA448
27 minutes ago, longgone said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/25568397/ev-drivers-charged-more-parking-unfair/

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

Time for heavy cars to pay the price. £3000 a year is about right.

They are taking examples from Paris. But it is right, cars need to drop weight and width. I think regulation should be the first lever to pull. Taxation should be the second one, but since it is not the same person pulling each of them, taxation is likely to come first. 

When I see people in the UK with American pick up trucks, I am wondering how they are dealing with the English roads, English parking sizes and everything. It must be an awful experience just to make oneself believe they don't live on Old Blighty

HOLA449
7 minutes ago, Freki said:

They are taking examples from Paris. But it is right, cars need to drop weight and width. I think regulation should be the first lever to pull. Taxation should be the second one, but since it is not the same person pulling each of them, taxation is likely to come first. 

When I see people in the UK with American pick up trucks, I am wondering how they are dealing with the English roads, English parking sizes and everything. It must be an awful experience just to make oneself believe they don't live on Old Blighty

The size i agree with parking is difficult with so many wide cars about, but the weight is Bs, so many buses trucks and vans about a few hundred kg more does not make much difference to roads.

HOLA4410
5 minutes ago, longgone said:

The size i agree with parking is difficult with so many wide cars about, but the weight is Bs, so many buses trucks and vans about a few hundred kg more does not make much difference to roads.

The other day I drove to my office, and parked in a public car park where I have a discount. My car is not small 6ft2 but not massive either. I could barely get out of my spot with the correctly parked car (a Bentley) next to me. 

There are also those place with restricted width that are not amazing for my car already. I have one I go through regularly that is 6ft6. I never managed it perfectly yet. 

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, longgone said:

It might make a difference to bridges though. Some of those older bridges over the Thames are already a bit weak.

HOLA4412
6 hours ago, longgone said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/25568397/ev-drivers-charged-more-parking-unfair/

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

Time for heavy cars to pay the price. £3000 a year is about right.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tips-advice/360607/heaviest-cars-sale

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars-vans/360603/lightest-cars-sale-2023

There is only 1 EV in those two lists. Spoiler: it's not in the 1st list. Actually no ... there is 1 in each list. Of course the EV in the heaviest list ... is also the:

image.png.fe32216fbe3626a129bfc048752b7223.png

Well, of course, the Sun is the best place to get real info and real analysis. Ah no, ... wait ... no it isn't.

Edited by Aidan Ap Word

HOLA4413
20 hours ago, Jean-Luc said:

Well I would like to think they have upped their game since 2019. Maybe their cars are great now... maybe they are not. I don't care. The one I had was sh*te and was definately not worth the hype or cash. I ain't a fanboi and have no loyalty to a car brand that put out a substandard product and delivered a substandard consumer experience. I was over the moon to take delivery of my M3P in Dec 2019 it's just a shame it did not live up to the hype or my expectations. In the end I was glad to be shot of it.

54124f3559f64af4a124b23dfcb23dd4.jpg.8c7ac1b69c43be15557991e4eff7325d.webp.a5cd70cb9efdf59eb095f089f1356507.webp

After 34,400 miles it averaged 356 Wh/mi over its lifetime. To get 300 miles of range would require what? 250 Wh/mi? As you can see my M3P never got close. Sh*t car.

Who has climate at 23 degrees?  I would driving in my pants only. Never above 19 in My Tesla's.  Oh i forgot you bought a old model with no heat pump. My 2021 Model 3 LR will do 300 miles @ 60 mph in winter. at the same @ 70 mph in summer. 

HOLA4414
On 28/01/2024 at 17:49, Jean-Luc said:

But, but, but the majority don't drive 300 miles blah blah... need breaks blah blah... The leaf gets far, far, far closer t the stated range than my tesla ever did.

Fact is the POS M3P I had couldn't do 200 @ 60 mph either it was sh*t.

I will take it that is an admission your Leaf cant do either of these things. Now we have established this, be a good simp and keep quiet. 

HOLA4415
4 hours ago, markyh said:

Who has climate at 23 degrees?  I would driving in my pants only. Never above 19 in My Tesla's.  Oh i forgot you bought a old model with no heat pump. My 2021 Model 3 LR will do 300 miles @ 60 mph in winter. at the same @ 70 mph in summer. 

image.thumb.png.2d92937a0e326e1753c7035c1198fa2b.pngHe was probably driving it like he stole it the entire time then whinges about it not going as far. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Toyota Halts Production at 4 Plants in Japan Economy  (due to emmissions cheating scandal) Jan 30th https://www.nippon.com/en/news/yjj2024013000305/toyota-halts-production-at-4-plants-in-japan.html

This Report exposes corrupt legacy car companies polluting more than big oil

This report has got to be good news for Tesla & other ev manufacturers as they will likely get more support &  ICE's will get further restriction 

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4424
On 29/01/2024 at 18:42, markyh said:

I will take it that is an admission your Leaf cant do either of these things. Now we have established this, be a good simp and keep quiet. 

Simp pmsl 😂

Says the utter clown/fantasist who idolizes a car ffs and who rides in on his (imaginary?) model Y like a white knight to defend tesla anytime someone dares criticise the object of his fantasies.

We get it you masturbate over the idea of having multiple teslas/a walled mansion/a young son (rambo who you train in armed combat) and having an arsenal of shotguns you will use when the ruskies invade to rape and murder our women.

Total and utter fantasist you are going on ignore. 😂😂😂

Edited by Jean-Luc

HOLA4425
31 minutes ago, Jean-Luc said:

Simp pmsl 😂

Says the utter clown/fantasist who idolizes a car ffs and who rides in on his (imaginary?) model Y like a white knight to defend tesla anytime someone dares criticise the object of his fantasies.

We get it you masturbate over the idea of having multiple teslas/a walled mansion/a young son (rambo who you train in armed combat) and having an arsenal of shotguns you will use when the ruskies invade to rape and murder our women.

Total and utter fantasist you are going on ignore. 😂😂😂

That's a lot of time you wasted on ad hominem.

And some quite wild imaginings too.