House Price Crash Forum

Post Office Scandal - Disgrace

FANG

HOLA441
15 hours ago, Si1 said:

The journo uncovering most of it thinks it's just semi competent ass covering from often thick corporate types who are mostly too criminally stupid to realise it's immorality and illegality.

It reminds me of a well known Alan Moore quote

"The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory, is that conspiracy theorists believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is actually chaotic. The truth is that it is not The Iluminati, or The Jewish Banking Conspiracy, or the Gray Alien Theory.

The truth is far more frightening - Nobody is in control.

The world is rudderless."

The people who want to be in control are not the people who should be in control. The skills they build largely relate to surviving long enough without being blamed for anything and making other people (subordinates) work against their own best interests.

This is why the number of psychopaths in the general population is less than 1% for any degree of psychopathy but the number of CEOs who are psychopaths is around 20% link - broadly the same percentage you find in the prison population. link

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Archbishop of Canterbury now being drawn into the scandal:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/15/justin-welby-should-quit-for-supporting-paula-vennells/

Queen Elizabeth II’s former chaplain has called for the Archbishop of Canterbury to stand down amid suggestions that he endorsed the disgraced former Post Office boss to be Bishop of London.

Paula Vennells, who was the Post Office chief executive from 2012 to 2019, handed back her CBE last week....

Last week it emerged Ms Vennells was shortlisted to become Bishop of London in 2017 – the third most senior role in the Church of England after the Archbishops of Canterbury and York – despite suggestions that sub-postmasters had been wrongly prosecuted having emerged at the time.

Church sources claim the Most Rev Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, was personally supportive of Ms Vennells’ candidacy.

The late Queen’s former chaplain, the Rev Canon Jeremy Haselock, an associate priest at Great St Bartholomew’s in the City of London, criticised the alleged endorsement, writing on social media: “Surely this is the point at which Welby must go. Another demonstration of his complete lack of sound judgment.”

In the post, seen by The Telegraph, he added: “His backing for this woman for episcopal office shows how completely he fails to understand the nature of that office."

HOLA443
On 13/01/2024 at 13:41, Andytgt said:

It is not my area but I honestly would be voting for her if it was. Even if not against Ed Davey if in my constituency there is a wrongly convicted sub postmaster hoping to get justice for what happened they have my vote.

The real question here is whether Ed Davey will be standing in the next election at all, let alone as leader of the LibDems:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12957971/ed-davey-postmasters-horizon-post-office-scandal.html

ANDREW PIERCE: How can Ed Davey not have known the law firm he worked for was representing the Post Office when his brother had been a senior partner there?

Davey's time as Post Office minister between 2010 and 2012 coincided, of course, with the realisation postmasters were victims of a terrible injustice by the Post Office over the catastrophic failure of its Horizon IT system.

...the Lib Dem leader later enjoyed a lucrative consultancy with Herbert Smith Freehills (HSF) — one of the most prestigious and expensive law firms which just so happens to be the legal powerhouse hired by the Post Office in April 2019 to aggressively fight the litigation brought by hundreds of sub-postmasters.

While Davey says he had no inkling that the law firm had been hired, creating an obvious conflict of interest, his plea of ignorance about its involvement seems surprising.

For I can reveal that his brother, Henry Davey, 61, had been a corporate partner at HSF for approaching 20 years when the former minister started working there.

Would not Henry, a very senior member of the firm where salaries for some partners are comfortably over £1 million, have known what was going on and passed on the information to his brother, given that Ed had been Post Office minister?

After all, the brothers have always been close. So close, in fact, that in February 2015, shortly before the General Election, the lawyer donated £2,500 to Ed's constituency campaign.

The 58-year-old Lib Dem leader joined HSF four months after losing his seat at the 2015 general election ... on a £5,000 monthly consultancy.

After winning back his seat in 2017, he pocketed £275,000 from HSF in addition to his parliamentary salary, before quitting in January 2022 after criticism of MPs having second jobs.

So while sub-postmasters battled for justice, the former minister, who had no interest in them, was working for a firm helping the Post Office deny them justice.

Former Tory Cabinet minister Sir David Davis, who has been fighting for the postmasters for years, told the Mail: 'In the campaign to support the postmasters I have refrained from commenting on Ed Davey's wholly inadequate time as Post Office minister when he alleged he was lied to.

'But that excuse does not stand up when he has received hundreds of thousands of pounds from the lawyers representing the Post Office against the postal staff.

'If you are in public life you should always carry out due diligence on anyone who pays you large sums of money.

'Either he did not do that or he ignored the fact HSF was part of the Post Office machinery to deny the postmasters their proper compensation. "

HOLA444
43 minutes ago, regprentice said:

It reminds me of a well known Alan Moore quote

"The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory, is that conspiracy theorists believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is actually chaotic. The truth is that it is not The Iluminati, or The Jewish Banking Conspiracy, or the Gray Alien Theory.

The truth is far more frightening - Nobody is in control.

The world is rudderless."

The people who want to be in control are not the people who should be in control. The skills they build largely relate to surviving long enough without being blamed for anything and making other people (subordinates) work against their own best interests.

This is why the number of psychopaths in the general population is less than 1% for any degree of psychopathy but the number of CEOs who are psychopaths is around 20% link - broadly the same percentage you find in the prison population. link

I would supplement your correct analysis with this:

https://bonpote.com/en/the-5-basic-laws-of-human-stupidity/#:~:text=Law 3.,and may even suffer losses.&text=Law 4%3A Non-stupid people,most dangerous type of person.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Keir Starmer trying to keep a low profile:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/01/18/keir-starmer-post-office-scandal-cps-prosecutions-itv/

Sir Keir Starmer admitted he made “mistakes” when he led the Crown Prosecution Service but insisted he had “no skeletons in the closet” as he faces questions over his role in the Post Office scandal.

The Labour leader was Director of Public Prosecutions between 2008 and 2013 and the CPS has admitted that it was involved in 11 prosecutions that were brought over issues linked to the Horizon IT system. Three of them resulted in convictions.

The faulty computer system is blamed for the wrongful convictions of hundreds of sub-postmasters in one of the worst miscarriages of justice in British history.

Speaking on Keir Starmer: Up Close - Tonight, which airs on ITV1 on Thursday, Sir Keir said there is no “smoking gun” over his role in the cases and suggested questions over his knowledge of the prosecutions were part of the nature of attacks from political opponents.

No it wasn't me guv

Sir Keir also admitted he never thought Jeremy Corbyn would win the 2019 general election and only served in his shadow cabinet to stop Conservative Brexit plans.

He said he did not vote for his predecessor but continued in his position as Shadow Brexit Secretary because he felt a “responsibility” to be involved in deciding how Britain would leave the European Union.

Sir Keir declined to answer whether he wanted Mr Corbyn to be prime minister, but said: “I didn’t think the Labour Party was in a position to win the last election.”

HOLA447

Sensational admission from the European Director of Fujitsu today:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/19/post-office-scandal-latest-fujitsu-paul-patterson-live/

Fujitsu staff knew of bugs from as far back as 1999, the firm’s Europe boss told the inquiry. 

Paul Patterson has described the fact that known glitches were not included in witness statements used to prosecute sub-postmasters as “shameful”. During this morning’s hearing, Fujitsu’s Europe director was taken through examples of bugs cited in his 193-page witness statement.

It showed Fujitsu staff were aware of various bugs, errors and defects as far back as November 1999 - when the rollout had only just begun. Mr Patterson’s statement, which is built on documents sourced from Fujitsu, suggests that the Post Office was informed of most of the bugs soon after their discovery.

HOLA448

I watched what he had to say today and he was at least saying sorry and calling it out for what it was, "shameful" and "appalling" are words I remember him using. That is the very least he could do I know, but he was doing it.

Which just makes the lack of apology from certain others stand out even more.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
15 hours ago, Andytgt said:

I watched what he had to say today and he was at least saying sorry and calling it out for what it was, "shameful" and "appalling" are words I remember him using. That is the very least he could do I know, but he was doing it.

Which just makes the lack of apology from certain others stand out even more.

He's not actually directly tainted by this or criminally liable that I can tell so to some degree he has nothing to lose.

At the same time corporate orgs always have an ethical team-work oriented mission statement so he has to uphold that aswell 

In fact on that basis it would be far worse for him if he DID uphold the prior ass covering narrative. Why implicate himself in others' criminal behaviour?

Edited by Si1

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

There is a channel 4 news report from yesterday below. It does not cover anything particularly new but the amount of 'politeness' about calling things for what they are, ie Paula V is a liar, is starting to come down. Also there are more calls for the police to get a move on and never mind the public enquiry if they have evidence of crimes (they do) then they can arrest people now nothing is stopping them. i hope these calls to make arrests continue to grow.

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, Andytgt said:

There is a channel 4 news report from yesterday below. It does not cover anything particularly new but the amount of 'politeness' about calling things for what they are, ie Paula V is a liar, is starting to come down. Also there are more calls for the police to get a move on and never mind the public enquiry if they have evidence of crimes (they do) then they can arrest people now nothing is stopping them. i hope these calls to make arrests continue to grow.

Establishment will just stretch it out and water it down, so that the plebs  will get bored and move on.

HOLA4414
7 minutes ago, wighty said:

Establishment will just stretch it out and water it down, so that the plebs  will get bored and move on.

I think you are right. The twitter backlash has dropped off considerably even though they are still interviewing lying investigators.

Former Post Office investigator admits ‘erroneously’ putting wife's education on CV, inquiry hears | Morning Star (morningstaronline.co.uk)

I think that the post masters will still be fighting for compensation in 10 years.

HOLA4415
8 hours ago, FANG said:

I think you are right. The twitter backlash has dropped off considerably even though they are still interviewing lying investigators.

Former Post Office investigator admits ‘erroneously’ putting wife's education on CV, inquiry hears | Morning Star (morningstaronline.co.uk)

I think that the post masters will still be fighting for compensation in 10 years.

If they do, more people will remember with family grudges and new generations will get disgusted by this entrenched abuse and corruption, and things could easily snowball when it'll inevitably be running alongside myriad other contemporary and newly emerged scandals (eventually maybe adding grease in the take down of the highly derived Norman power/wealth holders).

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
5 hours ago, Big Orange said:

Gutter trash victim blamers, where did the Post Office find these legions of self-righteous nutters as high ranking employees?

I've seen psychopaths in the workplace. It's weird and immensely disturbing.

5 hours ago, Big Orange said:

I believe the annecdote of Post Office "cops" getting enraged at a hpc member here for having the gall of being the blameless victim of a car break in.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68146054

Headline news on the BBC website (I am not a huge fan of the BBC but 10 out of 10 for keeping this issue in the spotlight).

Everyone involved, every Director of the post office from when Horizon was introduced up to today should be arrested and at a minimum charged with Perjury and if corporate manslaughter was added due to those who committed suicide then fair enough. All of them. Then in court one at a time they can defend themselves and those who were innocent (it can not be proven that they knew and allowed the lies and prosecutions to continue) will be found innocent and can go home. Those who were guilty and knew and did nothing can rot in jail and have massive financial penalties (ideally everything they have) which can be used as past of the postmasters compensation. 

Arrest all of them now, the Directors (executive and non executive) and then take it from there. Starting at the top and working the way down through to the contemptible individuals recently giving evidence in the public inquiry.

Unfortunately this will not happen, but if there was actually any justice it would.

HOLA4423
56 minutes ago, Andytgt said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68146054

Headline news on the BBC website (I am not a huge fan of the BBC but 10 out of 10 for keeping this issue in the spotlight).

Everyone involved, every Director of the post office from when Horizon was introduced up to today should be arrested and at a minimum charged with Perjury and if corporate manslaughter was added due to those who committed suicide then fair enough. All of them. Then in court one at a time they can defend themselves and those who were innocent (it can not be proven that they knew and allowed the lies and prosecutions to continue) will be found innocent and can go home. Those who were guilty and knew and did nothing can rot in jail and have massive financial penalties (ideally everything they have) which can be used as past of the postmasters compensation. 

Arrest all of them now, the Directors (executive and non executive) and then take it from there. Starting at the top and working the way down through to the contemptible individuals recently giving evidence in the public inquiry.

Unfortunately this will not happen, but if there was actually any justice it would.

What about that horrible Badenoch woman?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425