House Price Crash Forum

News from the coalface aka house builder inside info

HOLA441

Well. 

I've been made redundant from my old job at a construction firm, we were part of pretty much every sector i.e. from new build to refurbishment, commercial to residential. However, I've secured a job at one of Britain's largest firms, who are nearly 100% committed to residential new build. They are subsidised by schemes such as Help to Buy and public sector subsidies.

I was wondering if people here would like some occasional info from the source, a bit like Honest Agent the estate agent blogger? Not sure that I could provide the more personal details or level of humour, but hopefully some useful facts on the state of play.

All i ask is for the mods to remove the reference to my old location in my username, if possible? Purely to give me a little more anonymity when posting. 

Edited by maffo in oxford
typos

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

23 minutes ago, maffo in oxford said:

I was wondering if people here would like some occasional info from the source,

Absolutely!

Loads of house-building going on my way so the big boys are busy enough.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

How soon during the construction cycle do sales begin, and at what point does concern arise if sales are below expectations? 

Years ago I bought off plan before construction even started. I assume it is similar nowadays. Where I live there are loads of construction sites with half built houses. How do they know they can sell them? 

HOLA447

Quite often unit sales will begin with brochures showing what the completed units will look like , this is before a site even reaches individual plot starts ie footings dug!!

At the very least,  a site of say 100 houses will be split into four phases,  and each 25 offered for sale as work progresses. 

Not sure about expected time scales,  from completion to sale just yet.

HOLA448
HOLA449
2 hours ago, maffo in oxford said:

Well. 

I've been made redundant from my old job at a construction firm, we were part of pretty much every sector i.e. from new build to refurbishment, commercial to residential. However, I've secured a job at one of Britain's largest firms, who are nearly 100% committed to residential new build. They are subsidised by schemes such as Help to Buy and public sector subsidies.

I was wondering if people here would like some occasional info from the source, a bit like Honest Agent the estate agent blogger? Not sure that I could provide the more personal details or level of humour, but hopefully some useful facts on the state of play.

All i ask is for the mods to remove the reference to my old location in my username, if possible? Purely to give me a little more anonymity when posting. 

Oh yes indeed

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yes, this will be invaluable.  I started at a national housebuilder in Feb08.  They'd just booked record profits for the previous year, and paid massive bonuses to the directors and smaller bonuses to the plebs, a bit like Persimmon are doing right now.  The sales graph for the year was frightening, and I spent most of my time reorganising sites to be smaller, or to close down completely.  Meanwhile the publicity statements were placatory in nature - "temporary correction", etc.   We were all out the door in October.

Agree, you need some anonymity for this.  If you go with changing your username - have you considered the content of your previous posts?  Nothing to give you away there, is there?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
5 hours ago, Bricks n' mortar said:

Yes, this will be invaluable.  I started at a national housebuilder in Feb08.  They'd just booked record profits for the previous year, and paid massive bonuses to the directors and smaller bonuses to the plebs, a bit like Persimmon are doing right now.  The sales graph for the year was frightening, and I spent most of my time reorganising sites to be smaller, or to close down completely.  Meanwhile the publicity statements were placatory in nature - "temporary correction", etc.   We were all out the door in October.

Agree, you need some anonymity for this.  If you go with changing your username - have you considered the content of your previous posts?  Nothing to give you away there, is there?

Na, not really. I'm probably being a little premature with the paranoia to be fair! ? I shall try to convey the situation as accurately as I can without giving the game away. I will try not to use anything that tallies too accurately with official data.

Ga, hope things don't go badly for you considering. 

HOLA4415
On 27/04/2018 at 11:16, Freki said:

Would love to hear about desperation in the meeting when confronted to the lack of sales

I'd like to know if they can't sell a house, is punting it sideways into their lettings subsidiary a common occurrence?

Edited by Diver Dan

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Quality (especially materials) and work conditions are pretty poor, but senior management expect everything to run like clockwork.  They also appear very reluctant to pay trades for repairs, aftercare and snagging.

No wonder that there is a high level of dissatisfaction amongst purchasers of the companies' output, and management struggling to cope with the pressure. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
On 10/05/2018 at 16:47, maffo in oxford said:

Quality (especially materials) and work conditions are pretty poor, but senior management expect everything to run like clockwork.  They also appear very reluctant to pay trades for repairs, aftercare and snagging.

No wonder that there is a high level of dissatisfaction amongst purchasers of the companies' output, and management struggling to cope with the pressure. 

Do you get the sense that corners start to be cut mid build just to get the job done? I wonder whether there's a pressure to complete and sell before market tanks?

HOLA4423
8 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Do you get the sense that corners start to be cut mid build just to get the job done? I wonder whether there's a pressure to complete and sell before market tanks?

Shite large scale building has the dubious reputation of being like this irrespective of the economic cycle 

HOLA4424

Generally it's the final fittings I.e. Door sets,  kitchen units, upvc doors and windows, ironmongery,  plumbing items like radiators that are cheap and nasty. Aggregates,  bricks etc are much of a muchness. 

11 hours ago, leonardratso said:

managers

?

8 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Not in my experience,  the corners are cut at the planning and spec/buying stages. The trades can only build with what they are given. 

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, maffo in oxford said:

Generally it's the final fittings I.e. Door sets,  kitchen units, upvc doors and windows, ironmongery,  plumbing items like radiators that are cheap and nasty. Aggregates,  bricks etc are much of a muchness. 

Not in my experience,  the corners are cut at the planning and spec/buying stages. The trades can only build with what they are given. 

If you want to win work supplying in the construction industry these days, you need only one thing:  the cheapest price!

Funnily enough quality does suffer massively as a result but sadly very few people care.