House Price Crash Forum

The Guardian: More than 800 senior Asda shopfloor staff face pay cut or redundancy

HOLA441
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

In retail a msnager is the one rith yhe keys yo open and dhut, and desl eith the slarm going off at 3am.

And covering shifts of people not turning up.

Spy,

Have you ever considered employment with the so called BBC Pidgin English service?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
11 hours ago, Diver Dan said:

A lot of shops and Fast food places have very flat wage structures at the 'coal-face'level. In one place I used to work, the hourly pay was, I believe:

'Colleague' = minimum wage

Team Leader = minimum wage + 20p 

Assistant Manager = minimum wage + 50p

Manager = minimum wage + £1

The franchise owner had a Range Rover.

Before we opened the borders I worked in a Spar. On tills, until I'd been there 6 months so I could move to stacking shelves and dictate my own pace of work (a lot of taking time to perfct the beat). I got paid 50 pence an hour above the minimum wage. If I'd bothered to do a couple training courses I'd have got a further 50 pence an hour. Back then the local Morrisons paid a lot more - way above minimum wage. They were paying night shift restackers £10+ an hour back in  1998.

HOLA443
HOLA444
10 hours ago, Castlevania said:

Tesco since Dave Lewis took over have been aggressively cutting debt. They'll be fine.

Not saying they won't......just look to doing other things such as insurance, banks, mortgages, coins, professional  landlords.....more than one string to a bow.;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
12 hours ago, Castlevania said:

Tesco since Dave Lewis took over have been aggressively cutting debt. They'll be fine.

I dont. Going to be close if Tescos survive.

I think everything about Tescos numbers is a fib - the debt, the profit, etc.

Tescos are  Enron with toilet paper.

HOLA449

One thing that the supermarkets have in their favour is cash flow.

They take cash over the counter and bank it straight away. The payment terms for their suppliers will be not as generous.

These automatic self service check outs are getting more and more commonplace. They have done their numbers and know that staff numbers can be cut.

As to how financially sound the big names are? Depends on what figure you value their property at!

They all own a lot/ have mortages on a lot/ have a lot in development. Accountants can be generous sometimes with their balance sheets.

HOLA4410
8 minutes ago, frankief said:

These automatic self service check outs are getting more and more commonplace. They have done their numbers and know that staff numbers can be cut.

i am surprised rfid chips have not been embedded into the products so the shopper can just wheel the whole trolley through a scanner pay and go.  

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
3 hours ago, PopGun said:

Yes we should. Or deflate living costs..

....... deflation of living costs like lower rents and mortgage debt, lower fuel costs etc would imo be preferable, but no way would that be allowed to happen if can at all be avoided.......have to kill the old debt so as to create more, not by repaying the debt but for defaulting on the debt or for inflation to kill it.......other obstacles of forever rising wages and living costs is the working pulling away from those who can't work (for money) = more poverty, who says that prices won't still increase faster than wages however fast wages increase like homes and train fares do for example......anyway we are now in competition with the rest of the world, who do not always buy from places where the cost to buy is greater than they are prepared to pay.;)

Edited by winkie
Important point omitted

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I suspect there are several issues at work here.

Increases in NLW are pushing up the standard pay grade by ~5%/year (previously the NLW was going up by 2-3%/year) now in general I this is a good thing as people earn more from work and receive less WTC/CTC/UC, however for ASDA it is a significant cost. When they need to reduce overheads to compete with ALDI/LIDL.

Automation both through automated checkouts and shelf units (when products come in display boxes so the shelf stacker only has to put 1 box on the shelf instead of 20 packets) means they need fewer staff in general.

The senior staff were presumably responsible for making sure the shelves were filled properly, if there less need for this with the display boxes then they're not really doing anything different from the standard staff. 

Therefore, ASDA want/need to cut some staff, they went for the higher paid ones. I recall Sainsbury's taking out a layer of managers recently and Tesco are doing similar with their head office. 

HOLA4418
2 hours ago, PopGun said:

Two myths on the same paragraph, well done.

Are you serious?

Tell me why supermarkets have installed swathes of automated checkouts. Is it because they're better than cashiers? No, it's because they're much cheaper.

I'm not saying wages increases are bad -- they'll work for a short time -- until it feeds through into the cost of living, and you're back where you started, but with a greater chance of being replaced by a robot.

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/608636/increasing-minimum-wage-puts-more-jobs-at-risk-of-automation/

Edited by Eddie_George

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
3 hours ago, Tulip_mania said:

Automation both through automated checkouts and shelf units (when products come in display boxes so the shelf stacker only has to put 1 box on the shelf instead of 20 packets) means they need fewer staff in general.

It's quite interesting actually, everyone bangs on about automated tills, but I just googled "shelf ready packaging", it seems there has been a quite revolution going on before my eyes without me even realising it.

How long has this trend been going on?  I can remember only in the last few years wanting a massive amount of something, and just being able to pick up a whole box (I genuinely didn't think of the efficiency angle).

In the big supermarket's this packaging is a lot more subtle then Lidl/Aldi or the old Kwik save.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I like to use the manual method.....have to say the 'put your item in the baggage area' machines have improved....so one member of staff has six to eight auto cashiers to supervise.....what about the shrinkage issues, must be higher but worth it.....

Soon the only time a person will be required is to help find an item in a store they yet again have rearranged thinking people will purchase more looking for it.;)

HOLA4423
On 10/12/2017 at 8:53 AM, PopGun said:

Supermarkets are great example of the capitalist end game 

Trying to out compete each on price is great for the consumer, till none are left standing as they’ve cut all the flesh off the bone.

With the reality of the obesity epidemic as a consequence, so the system is killing the customers ? 

HOLA4424
20 hours ago, longgone said:

i still can`t work out which side you put your stuff on left or right on those bloody machines  ;)

Even the explanatory video is wrong on some of them. I got in a mess in a Morrisons Extra and a bossy woman ran up to tell me I was doing it wrong and holding up the queue. I showed her I was putting stuff in the place shown on the video, say it was on the right. "Everyone knows you put it on the left" was her exasperated response rolling her eyes. 

I don't know why I dislike these machines so much,  I think because they break the mental model of conveyor belt, scan, bag. The weighing function was a really bad idea and can't believe it really helps much with shrinkage. 

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

Even the explanatory video is wrong on some of them. I got in a mess in a Morrisons Extra and a bossy woman ran up to tell me I was doing it wrong and holding up the queue. I showed her I was putting stuff in the place shown on the video, say it was on the right. "Everyone knows you put it on the left" was her exasperated response rolling her eyes. 

I don't know why I dislike these machines so much,  I think because they break the mental model of conveyor belt, scan, bag. The weighing function was a really bad idea and can't believe it really helps much with shrinkage. 

all that is needed was to colour each machine in alternate colours so one can differentiate the two . it`s no bother to me i will just stick a nice fillet steak straight on the scale and call the assistant over to reset the "unexpected item in bagging area" alarm every time. that`s got to be nearly an hours minimum wage. i`m all for new tech. 

don`t get me started on the dumb terminal that is the post office parcel size selector or the magic postage scales a new number every time. :rolleyes: