House Price Crash Forum

Halifax Aug '17 - Up By Another 1.1%

rantnrave

HOLA441
On 07/09/2017 at 9:01 AM, TheCountOfNowhere said:

+100000000

We've just had an offer on a house in France accepted.

We're off, for the same reasons.

I'd rather take my chances there than here

Bonne chance avec votre nouvelle vie dans la ville de brouillard, mais ne nous oubliez pas dweebs dans ye'old blighty

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
4 hours ago, wotsthat said:

You are saying average prices will rise to about £500,000 and then drop to £250,000

Elaborate?

If that does happen (I'm not that lucky generally so read as likely to happen), then we'll be no better off even after a HPC because we can't afford here now at these prices, doubling and then halfing isn't going to cut it.   Think I'm gonna be joining count and all those thousands of migrants that France takes in.

HOLA443
3 hours ago, giggler000 said:

If that does happen (I'm not that lucky generally so read as likely to happen), then we'll be no better off even after a HPC because we can't afford here now at these prices, doubling and then halfing isn't going to cut it.   Think I'm gonna be joining count and all those thousands of migrants that France takes in.

That will probably be the cruel twist of hpc

HOLA444
14 hours ago, DrBuyToLeech said:
14 hours ago, Patient London FTB said:

You're describing what happened to London after 2008. The result is developers overdoing it on luxury flats and the UK govt ratcheting up stamp duty to pluck some cash out of foreign buyers' pockets. We're just waiting for the effect of the glut to take its toll on prices. 

Bailouts made it a safe haven.

Our rule of law makes the UK a very safe haven. This will not change. There will still be full page ads in the Singapore Straits Times for safe haven UK property, and the last time I saw one it featured Leicester! No doubt cleverly put in knowing how EPL mad Singaporeans are.

HOLA445
7 hours ago, ExiledMatty said:

Our rule of law makes the UK a very safe haven. This will not change. There will still be full page ads in the Singapore Straits Times for safe haven UK property, and the last time I saw one it featured Leicester! No doubt cleverly put in knowing how EPL mad Singaporeans are.

No, in this specific instance it was bailouts. 

Sure, our government is stable and meets the needs of foreign money launderers like no other, but that applies to all investment classes - gold held in uk vaults, uk stocks and bonds, companies, and so on.

No one chooses a safe-haven 'investment' that is plummeting in value, as uk real estate would certainly have been after 2008.  

The subsequent foreign landlording is precisely the kind of moral hazard that was warned about - and then ignored - at the time. 

Edit: also this 'rule of law' cliche, is a euphemism isn't it?  It just means corrupt, basically.

Edited by DrBuyToLeech

HOLA446
9 hours ago, ExiledMatty said:

I think the 'safe haven' argument is an important argument and that there is a great deal of truth in it. One of the ways to interpret the disparity between HPI in London and the South East since 2008 versus ten years of essentially static prices in most of the rest of the country is that in London you have lots of investor demand from people who expect capital gains (and thus are willing to invest on a basis where the investment just washes its face when revenues are weighed against costs).

However, that means that the investment is treading the line between speculative financing and Ponzi financing (as labelled by Minsky).

The second, speculative financing, is a bit riskier: firms rely on their cashflow to repay the interest on their borrowings but must roll over their debt to repay the principal. This should be manageable as long as the economy functions smoothly, but a downturn could cause distress. The third, Ponzi financing, is the most dangerous. Cashflow covers neither principal nor interest; firms are betting only that the underlying asset will appreciate by enough to cover their liabilities. If that fails to happen, they will be left exposed.

Source: Minsky's moment, The Economist, 30 July 2016

Further if the speculators' assessment of their income side of their cash flow is out of whack (and h/t to Patient London FTB inter alia for lots of posts the contents of which suggest that something is up with lots of London developments sold to overseas investors) then you have a situation where people were kidding themselves that they were using speculative financing (the investment washes its face) when in fact they are engaging in Ponzi financing. The fact of sterling's post-referendum slump just makes matters worse for those who made their initial investment with funds that were originally saved in another currency (and goodness knows if there is also some currency mismatch on some of the borrowings too).

The reason why London flats bought off plan may turn out to be a very poor safe haven is that the rule of law is cold comfort if you are buying in at the top of a bubble; the threat to your investment is not that somebody will confiscate your property - the threat to your investment is that you've leveraged into the wrong market at the wrong price at the wrong time.

Edited by Bland Unsight

HOLA447

I think a lot of these Far East investors are in UK property for the long game so wouldn't even blink at high % falls. 

Their primary concern is getting money out of their countries and away from authoritarian governments. Pretty much all nations in Southeast Asia are losing or have no democracy. Then you have the biggest non democracy of them all just to the north!

Make no mistake, there is a lot of capital  in the Far East looking for a safe home. Then you have the Middle East, Russia and increasingly Africa and Latam!

It's no coincidence that the likes of Aus, Can and NZ all share this issue, as they also share the safe haven tag. I even think being English speaking nations makes us more attractive to investment.

Democracy around the globe is being eroded and I can't see this trend reversing as Govts demand more power and influence. This will only add more pressure on safe havens.

The only solution is heavy tax or legislation. The UK Govt will not be acting anytime soon. 

HOLA448
3 hours ago, ExiledMatty said:

I think a lot of these Far East investors are in UK property for the long game so wouldn't even blink at high % falls. 

Fine by me. Much easier for the UK government to let the housing bubble burst if the main loser is going to be upper middle class Singaporeans who have no vote in the UK. Somebody is going to be holding these assets as they fall in price, might as well be Far Eastern property speculators.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA449
3 hours ago, ExiledMatty said:

Their primary concern is getting money out of their countries and away from authoritarian governments. Pretty much all nations in Southeast Asia are losing or have no democracy. Then you have the biggest non democracy of them all just to the north!

Make no mistake, there is a lot of capital  in the Far East looking for a safe home. Then you have the Middle East, Russia and increasingly Africa and Latam!

It's no coincidence that the likes of Aus, Can and NZ all share this issue, as they also share the safe haven tag. I even think being English speaking nations makes us more attractive to investment.

Democracy around the globe is being eroded and I can't see this trend reversing as Govts demand more power and influence. This will only add more pressure on safe havens.

The only solution is heavy tax or legislation. The UK Govt will not be acting anytime soon. 

Spurious facile argument.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
14 hours ago, ExiledMatty said:

I am sure you are right....HPI is the cherry on the cake to them.....too much money what home to put it in.;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
On 09/09/2017 at 0:38 PM, houseface2000 said:

Just saying I think prices are will go higher before crashing.

Credit card debt higher than 2007

private debt higher than 2007

government debt higher than 2007

student debt... etc 

its all higher.. growth and low unemployment all propped up by QE and benefits..

China have to invest $8 to make $1 of return.. there economy is a basket case.. 

i don't know what will happen but this debt experiment can't end well.. 

Edited by macca13

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, macca13 said:

student debt... etc 

its all higher.. growth and low unemployment all propped up by QE and benefits..

Yes there is a trend of increasing debt levels, which in my opinion will continue. We have a debt based money system so it's more of the same to get growth or the elites change the global monetary system that impowers them.

HOLA4424
2 hours ago, macca13 said:

student debt... etc 

Missed off....disposable income lower, savings non-existent for most people and inflation at 2.6%