House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rantnrave

Halifax Aug '17 - Up By Another 1.1%

15 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Title says it all.

New peak reached - first time that's happened this year.

Term Funding Scheme has now fully kicked in?

Full report: https://static.halifax.co.uk/assets/pdf/mortgages/pdf/House-Price-Index-August-2017.pdf

Look at the homes for sale chart :lol: 

The devils in the detail

DJGwUQBXkAA2GkF.jpg

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

I will say it again because nobody believes me here. There will be no negative index this year. The powers won't let a political HPC happen or at the least can still throw more at it. See Mortgage rates are still not rising and the FCA getting ready to make IO mortgages more available. Not surprised at this figure at all although it uses mortgages which is still less that 60% of the total sales so the dataset is small. Those grabbing popcorn waiting for the upcoming HPC may need a slice of humble pie for the immediate meals. Yes it will come (the HPC) but I always said no nominal falls real terms only and only when forced to there is still more HPI rope for the government to use.

6 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

Sod it

Looks like HPC cancelled for yet another year.

I am off travelling until then as much as possible and totally re-evaluate if I even want to stay in this country. I have an Irish passport so Brexit won't bother me and not ruled out Ireland itself.

Yes I want a house in the UK, and I don't mind working for it , I also want some kind of freedom. The UK can keep it's overload of immigrants and welfare claimants who are perfectly fit to work, I will be f****d if I am going to forever home them with my hard graft

+100000000

We've just had an offer on a house in France accepted.

We're off, for the same reasons.

I'd rather take my chances there than here

8 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

Sod it

Looks like HPC cancelled for yet another year.

The blurb in the indices about 2017 ending flat seems about right. Had hoped to be YoY negative by Q4, but that looks highly unlikely now.

30 minutes ago, Mr Banks said:

I will say it again because nobody believes me here. There will be no negative index this year. The powers won't let a political HPC happen or at the least can still throw more at it. See Mortgage rates are still not rising and the FCA getting ready to make IO mortgages more available. Not surprised at this figure at all although it uses mortgages which is still less that 60% of the total sales so the dataset is small. Those grabbing popcorn waiting for the upcoming HPC may need a slice of humble pie for the immediate meals. Yes it will come (the HPC) but I always said no nominal falls real terms only and only when forced to there is still more HPI rope for the government to use.

I'm inclined to agree, insofar as the govt have the power they will minimise nominal falls. Of course if an exogenous event like high inflation forces highjer interest rates etc then the elastic will twang back, until then of course govt will control it.

Incidentally that FCA IO mortgage link is sickening - classic quotes leap off its page:

" The FCA says consumer  boomer choice may be being unnecessarily restricted by regulation."

" Currently banks are forbidden to lend where borrowers do not have a clear means of repaying their capital. But, says the watchdog, this is forcing some borrowers  boomers to sell their properties mansions ...."

(modified for accuracy)

err.

5 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

"Currently banks are forbidden to lend where borrowers do not have a clear means of repaying their capital"

And this is bad because????? 

In the event of any problems, taxpayers can pick up the slack...

59 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

+100000000

Congratulations!! will you be leaving HPC ?

42 minutes ago, houseface2000 said:

Congratulations!! will you be leaving HPC ?

Hopefully not!

We do have broadband here in France....even those of us living outside the Paris region. Unbelievable,  eh??

??

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

+100000000

Welcome to La Belle France.

If I may ask, which town/region are you moving to?

5 minutes ago, giesahoose said:

I can't see a fall happening while interest (and mortgage) rates are so low. Where I am the interest portion of a mortgage is between a third and a half of what the rent would be.

:lol::lol:

And with prices so high ?

Low price high rates or high price low rates, It's the same thing !!!!

All the bankers have done with the low rates is hand oodles of cash to their friends/establishment.  

Prices are past insane.

3 bed terrace in Northampton ot 5 bed house with a pool, several acres and a good train link North

Collapse inevitable.

Will I be leaving HPC, will I f**k.  I want to see these b****ds pay for their crimes.

4 minutes ago, Agentimmo said:

Welcome to La Belle France.

If I may ask, which town/region are you moving to?

I'll keep that under my hat if you dont mind.  Dont want the loons marching round Toulose looking for an Angry British bloke who shouts "F**KING BANKERS" all day.

2 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Title says it all.

New peak reached - first time that's happened this year.

Term Funding Scheme has now fully kicked in?

Full report: https://static.halifax.co.uk/assets/pdf/mortgages/pdf/House-Price-Index-August-2017.pdf

Has London gone yoy -ve yet ?

6 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I'll keep that under my hat if you dont mind.  Dont want the loons marching round Toulose looking for an Angry British bloke who shouts "F**KING BANKERS" all day.

??

Fair call. 

You'll find the French less obsessed with house prices.  Well those outside of Paris anyway. Not the no.1 subject of conversation at dinner parties......

France is well into it's HPC.  Hopefully another leg down this month after Macron's govt publish their housing reforms bill....expecting BTL type props and subsidies to be removed/reduced. 

(I posted Le Figaro link in the French overseas section of HPC this morning ). 

2 hours ago, wotsthat said:

I am off travelling until then as much as possible and totally re-evaluate if I even want to stay in this country. I have an Irish passport so Brexit won't bother me and not ruled out Ireland itself.

Despairing of UK house prices ... and you are considering a move to *Ireland*.   You have no idea.

Do a quick Google.

The crash is in the post, It has been since last summer. All the flats, houses, HMOs that have inflated massively since the border were opened in 2004 are going back to their correct level. Fact. 

All of this dragging it out the establishment are doing serves the purpose of letting them and their friends limit their exposure to the crash while passing the problem onto the greedy, the stupid and the over leveraged.

Look at the sales charts, nobody is buying. Anybody not blinded by greed can see that property simply isn't worth what is being asked for it. So nothing is selling.

The banks, the government, if they're lucky can drag this until the drawbridge is brought up. If they're really lucky they can delay that day for a little longer, but sooner or later it's coming back up and the HPC happens.

These numbers are as much use to anyone as the blanket coverage of every little political arguement over Brexit. 

The tide has turned, Goldman Sachs etc are playing Canute, they know they can't stop it but they're letting idiots bet they can.

32 minutes ago, toreveal said:

Despairing of UK house prices ... and you are considering a move to *Ireland*.   You have no idea.

Do a quick Google.

I think they meant irish passport = EU citizen = able to live anywhere in the EU

Does anyone have a graph of houses for sale going back to 2006 ish? Just wondered if a lack of supply typically precedes a crash.