Using the UK weather as an excuse for being lazy

ccc

HOLA441
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
47 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

We watched one recently where is was a condition of their marriage that he move with her back to Australia. Mental. 

He certainly wasn't the trouser-wearer in that relationship. That seems to be a running theme with a lot of these programs.

Also, anyone upping sticks and moving to Perth after a weeks recce want their heads examining. I was there for years, it's like living in an Ikea thats running a permanent sale on melanomas.

I saw that one and thought similar. Amusing once she got back "Home" in oz she found it horrendous and was homesick for Blighty :lol:

She did appear very selfish - but then again he had apparently promised her so maybe it wasn't as bad from.her side as it appeared.

HOLA443

Guilty!

In the summer I'm outside loads, in the winter I hide indoors.

It is however the idleness of the winter that drives me to make the most of the summer. If I lived somewhere like California where you can assume good weather most days all year then I wouldn't be as enthused about warm sunny days.

HOLA444

Winter drives me nuts, I'm OK till the end of December then its rock bottom lethargy, expanding waistline, crisps, chocolate, huge ammounts of coffee through January and February until March. Then the light levels increase and my sap rises with enthusiasm for the year ahead. Winter in the UK is the psychologial pits, its not the weather in particular its the lack of sunlight / daylight of working indoors that makes it worse.

HOLA445
HOLA446
3 hours ago, ccc said:

Running, football, tennis (give you that one), golf or cricket (ditto) have to be indoors :huh:

Sorry I wasn't clear. 

What I;m getting at is as the UK has dark grim winters with none of the snow the only real alternative for sporting activity is that which can be done inside. 

That alone is hugely restrictive for a a lot of activities mainly because theres only so many sports halls that can be booked after work to accommodate everyone for everything and it also costs extra money to do. If the UK had drier lighter and warmer evenings it would open up a lot more choice. As it stands much of that is only available during peak summer for fitting it in after work. 

HOLA447
2 hours ago, ChewingGrass said:

Winter drives me nuts, I'm OK till the end of December then its rock bottom lethargy, expanding waistline, crisps, chocolate, huge ammounts of coffee through January and February until March. Then the light levels increase and my sap rises with enthusiasm for the year ahead. Winter in the UK is the psychologial pits, its not the weather in particular its the lack of sunlight / daylight of working indoors that makes it worse.

Maybe you need to check out the Vitamin D thread.

HOLA448

Yes I agree that for half the year it can be pretty dismal. But that's the case for many places.

I totally don't agree that even during these months activity is limited to indoors. Plenty to do outside.

There are actually 5 ski fieids in Jockland. Poor season so far though.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

It's the greyness that does me in.

Hey let's go and watch the grey-set this evening

Nice day for some grey-bathing

Let's build a grey man.

Said no one ever.  Also the cold isn't an issue if you're just out for a stroll but as I'm working off a motorbike in London with a 70 miles round trip commute, anyone who says it makes no difference to day to day life can shove it frankly. No, when I get home I don't want to go out into the windchill and damp again.  I want the heating cranked up and endless cups of tea.

Today was gloriously sunny, but chilly.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Guilty!

In the summer I'm outside loads, in the winter I hide indoors.

It is however the idleness of the winter that drives me to make the most of the summer. If I lived somewhere like California where you can assume good weather most days all year then I wouldn't be as enthused about warm sunny days.

As someone who grew up in California, I find your comment kind of amusing.  Most of California, like most places around the world that have a reputation for "good" weather, is a massive desert.  For most of the year, it's way too hot to do anything outdoors without ending up in the hospital from sun burn.  And when it's not too hot, there's generally a torrential downpour going on making it impossible to do anything outside without drowning.  There's a tiny little strip in the state along the coast that is cooled off by the ocean where the climate is more temperate, but that area has been almost entirely concreted over with suburban sprawl and the only outdoor activity available is to walk around in an outdoor shopping mall.

The weather in the UK is pretty much ideal for being outdoors.  Not too hot and not too cold.

HOLA4413
36 minutes ago, ccc said:

Outdoor swim events all year round up here. Had one just last week.

You look like a burd in that video - and one I'd need a few pints in me to tackle...!

Do like the wet-suit though...

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4414

Over the years I've grown to really appreciate the climate in the uk. There are times that get me down when it's a particularly wet spell that seems to never end. But overall we dont get extreme weather and there are plenty days to get out. I prefer spring, summer and autumn because of longer daylight hours but that's just how it is. It's already light until about 5.30ish and I can see snowdrops and other spring bulbs poking through and buds swelling on trees etc.

HOLA4415
7 hours ago, ccc said:

Not working just now so watching bit of daytime TV. 

New life in the sun.

A place in the sun

Wanted down under

So many people on these shows come out with the "Oh the outside lifestyle will be so much better we can't do this stuff back in the UK" nonsense.

Usually fat as well. It's a really lame excuse. We all like a bit of sun and warmth - but to pretend you can't do outside activities in the UK nearly all the year is ridiculous.

We rarely get 3 ft of snow or 40c+ weather - both of which do actually stop outside activity.

Yes a dull grey day isn't the best. But it doesn't prevent you from taking advantage of all the great outside options of the UK.

Sorry for the rant !!

They all come home a year, or less, later when they realise they have to pay for healthcare and the broadband's sh1t.

HOLA4416
6 hours ago, richc said:

As someone who grew up in California, I find your comment kind of amusing.  Most of California, like most places around the world that have a reputation for "good" weather, is a massive desert.  For most of the year, it's way too hot to do anything outdoors without ending up in the hospital from sun burn.  And when it's not too hot, there's generally a torrential downpour going on making it impossible to do anything outside without drowning.  There's a tiny little strip in the state along the coast that is cooled off by the ocean where the climate is more temperate, but that area has been almost entirely concreted over with suburban sprawl and the only outdoor activity available is to walk around in an outdoor shopping mall.

The weather in the UK is pretty much ideal for being outdoors.  Not too hot and not too cold.

I agree. I'm living in Thailand now, and I have to time my bike rides down to the minute (virtually) because I don't want to die of sun stroke or get skin cancer.  I like to go out on 2 to 3 hour bike rides, so when I do I'm out by about 3.30PM (full of sun cream) where I know I can be back by dusk and no later.  I don't want to cycle at night anywhere (nothing to do with Thailand, even in the UK I hate cycling in the dark).  The sun sets so quick here too.   I'm not a morning person, but I know there's quite a few cyclists who choose the mornings to do their cycling.  Of course, this means you have to have no office job to be able to do this.  Same in Australia when I lived there - NOBODY goes out in the day time unless it's under shade / in a mall / out of the sun.  Having said that, there's always swimming or going around the parks in the late evening for a shorter exercise routine.

Always found the UK to be the best place for long bike rides in the spring and summer and early autumn.....can't beat it. 

HOLA4417

But - when I moved to australia from London I lost shedload of weight as the weather meant I'd wake up and think 'I fancy a run in the bush today".  Much more active than I had been in London.  In part, also due to the fact in Melbourne that I could cycle to work without having to go on a single road with a car - defined bike lanes all the way.

HOLA4418
8 hours ago, richc said:

Ah, I've been misinformed then.

I've known people from places that are too hot in summer to do anything outdoors (Texas and Tennessee) and too cold in winter (Canada) which have made me grateful for living here. Florida's far too humid but I thought California had the ideal.

It sounds like it does but only in the urbanised coastal strip.

HOLA4419
15 hours ago, ccc said:

If you're unhappy with your life in the UK a move isn't likely to fix it. 

They always act like they'll finish work come home go for a swim in the sea then have a BBQ and a glass of wine.

I'm sure it does happen but it's hardly on a daily basis.

Wherever you go, there you are.

HOLA4420
12 hours ago, LittlePig said:

It's the damp that does it to me. Not the cold. Cold and dry is fine.

My sister got married in New York in December.  It was about  10 deg. below freezing, with wind chill on top.  The cold cut you like a knife, you needed ear muffs or your ears hurt, and it hurt to breathe.  Of course it was 'dry' since any moisture would freeze instantly.  But nobody in their right mind would stay out of doors for long from choice. 

Give me our climate any day - and I've lived  in much warmer ones.  A week or so ago, in the middle of Kingston, lots of people were sitting outside in the market area, having their lunch, not at all uncommon even in the depths of winter around here, and on almost any day throughout the winter there will be plenty of people running or cycling in Richmond Park.  Stacks of them at weekends. 

HOLA4421

We don't have the extremes of weather that keep you indoors, heat and its horrible bed-fellow humidity, or cold

Variety is the spice of life.

I think that one of the UK's few remaining assets is its variable weather and seasons/day-lengths. Suitably clad,I can enjoy a walk in driving rain and a howling gale, or shirtless in warm sun, although I have difficulty persuading the GF out in the cold and rain. I love sun and blue skies but equally, those still, grey, late November days are just as good (in November). I've walked 7 hours and got drenched, and there's always a casserole at the end to look forward to - the benefits of GF that stays indoors  :lol:

HOLA4422
10 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

You look like a burd in that video - and one I'd need a few pints in me to tackle...!

Do like the wet-suit though...

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

If I was in that video in a wetsuit you would be salivating !!

HOLA4423

Just brave the weather, you soon warm up. It's actually been a good winter to be out, one of the driest in recent years. I try and do some exercise everyday. If going into town I will park three miles out and therefore walk six miles ,getting the shopping in a rucksack, otherwise cover longer distances from home.

The alternative I guess is to sink into lethargy as previously stated. No chance of depression covering 50 miles + walking a week, there just isn't. I guess cycling etc and running (ccc) has the same effect.

HOLA4424

I agree that it's the short days and lack of winter sun that drove me to spend the colder months overseas. If you suffer from SAD you really don't want to go hiking on a cold semi-light day.

On the flip side, it is ironic that many Brits who have emigrated to Aussie will often moan about the heat (fair enough) and end up spending more time inside away from the damaging UV rays and annoying bush flies.

HOLA4425
13 hours ago, ccc said:

There are actually 5 ski fieids in Jockland. Poor season so far though.

And probably quicker to get to the Alps from a lot of England. Although at least in Scotland you can get a cup of tea when you're out skiing. Followed by going back to my brother's and getting food poisoning the last time I went skiing in Scotland.

Archived