House Price Crash Forum

Using the UK weather as an excuse for being lazy

ccc

HOLA441

Not working just now so watching bit of daytime TV. 

New life in the sun.

A place in the sun

Wanted down under

So many people on these shows come out with the "Oh the outside lifestyle will be so much better we can't do this stuff back in the UK" nonsense.

Usually fat as well. It's a really lame excuse. We all like a bit of sun and warmth - but to pretend you can't do outside activities in the UK nearly all the year is ridiculous.

We rarely get 3 ft of snow or 40c+ weather - both of which do actually stop outside activity.

Yes a dull grey day isn't the best. But it doesn't prevent you from taking advantage of all the great outside options of the UK.

Sorry for the rant !!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
3 minutes ago, ccc said:

New life in the sun.

A place in the sun

Wanted down under

So many people on these shows come out with the "Oh the outside lifestyle will be so much better we can't do this stuff back in the UK" nonsense.

Usually fat as well. It's a really lame excuse. We all like a bit of sun and warmth - but to pretend you can't do outside activities in the UK nearly all the year is ridiculous.

We rarely get 3 ft of snow or 40c+ weather - both of which do actually stop outside activity.

Yes a dull grey day isn't the best. But it doesn't prevent you from taking advantage of all the great outside options of the UK.

Sorry for the rant !!

It's been a fantastic day in SE England, chilly but blazing sunshine and blue skies. I took the kids out to the park to play football at lunchtime, and there were about 5 other people in the whole (massive) park.

HOLA443
HOLA444
29 minutes ago, ccc said:

Usually fat as well. It's a really lame excuse.

You're absolutely right. I can't imagine how disillusioned people who move abroad for a "better quality of life" or to "spend more time outdoors" feel after the first 12 months of replicating their UK life somewhere else.

I've just come in from being on the allotment. Admittedly I only had a walk round and picked some greenhouse plastic up and had a cuppa tea, but we have been out in rainy-snow before now.

HOLA445
2 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

You're absolutely right. I can't imagine how disillusioned people who move abroad for a "better quality of life" or to "spend more time outdoors" feel after the first 12 months of replicating their UK life somewhere else.

I've just come in from being on the allotment. Admittedly I only had a walk round and picked some greenhouse plastic up and had a cuppa tea, but we have been out in rainy-snow before now.

If you're unhappy with your life in the UK a move isn't likely to fix it. 

They always act like they'll finish work come home go for a swim in the sea then have a BBQ and a glass of wine.

I'm sure it does happen but it's hardly on a daily basis.

HOLA446
HOLA447
1 minute ago, ccc said:

If you're unhappy with your life in the UK a move isn't likely to fix it. 

They always act like they'll finish work come home go for a swim in the sea then have a BBQ and a glass of wine.

I'm sure it does happen but it's hardly on a daily basis.

Perfectly practical in the UK, but on sunny days in the summer you almost never see anyone go swimming in the rivers. In fact, everyone acts like you're crazy when you do.

HOLA448
2 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

It's hardly open water swimming weather in the UK though is it? 

That probably only goes on may - September i expect 

Lots do it !!

Bit mental but I do fancy giving it a go. Meant to provide you with an amazing high.

Even when the water is relatively "Warm" you feel amazing after.

As Tripod says. Folk think your nuts then do it themselves and can't get the smile off their face.

HOLA449
5 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

It's hardly open water swimming weather in the UK though is it? 

That probably only goes on may - September i expect 

I kid myself that if I had a swimming pool at home I would swim every day. I might. I will let you know when I have a house with a pool.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I disagree to a point when it comes to exercise and sporting activity. In a warmer and drier climate I'd be more inclined to do after work activity like say tennis, football, running, cricket practise or golf. 

I'm not saying you can't do this in the UK but it's usually got to be in doors and by default alone that does restrict availability of choice. I am restricted to the peak summer months to get time to fit in golf or cricket after work and even then I;d only bother if it's dry. 

If the climate was warmer, drier it and you got more daylight it would open up choice. The problem with the UK is because we don't get snow we can't make use of our cold winters either. Not making an excuse for fat people here, there's still plenty for them to do but we are restricted in the UK to a degree. 

HOLA4413

On the one hand I get it because the weather here isn't as good as somewhere like Spain, but if your a fat person in the UK and you move to a hot country you're not all of a sudden going to become a fitness buff and lose all the weight.

I went for a 2 hour walk on Sunday morning - it was absolutely baltic, really cold wind blowing, but I still really enjoyed it. I guess rain is the deal breaker rather than sun.

We have some lovely parks and other outside areas here but as others have said, when I'm at them I often find them to be rather deserted. I'm very grateful that the council still puts enough money into them to keep them up to date, as I think most people must just spend all their free time in front of the telly.

HOLA4414
27 minutes ago, casual_squash said:

I disagree to a point when it comes to exercise and sporting activity. In a warmer and drier climate I'd be more inclined to do after work activity like say tennis, football, running, cricket practise or golf. 

I'm not saying you can't do this in the UK but it's usually got to be in doors and by default alone that does restrict availability of choice. I am restricted to the peak summer months to get time to fit in golf or cricket after work and even then I;d only bother if it's dry. 

If the climate was warmer, drier it and you got more daylight it would open up choice. The problem with the UK is because we don't get snow we can't make use of our cold winters either. Not making an excuse for fat people here, there's still plenty for them to do but we are restricted in the UK to a degree. 

Running, football, tennis (give you that one), golf or cricket (ditto) have to be indoors :huh:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
2 hours ago, ccc said:

New life in the sun.

A place in the sun

Wanted down under

Sorry for the rant !!

Agree, I've just got back from a day in the Lake District climbing up Great Gable overlooking Scafell.

It's was blowing a gale and brutally cold at the top but my word it was glorious.

As an aside, one of my customers kids works on the Wanted Down Under program. 

The return rate after the show is done is enormous apparently.

HOLA4417
1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Agree, I've just got back from a day in the Lake District climbing up Great Gable overlooking Scafell.

It's was blowing a gale and brutally cold at the top but my word it was glorious.

As an aside, one of my customers kids works on the Wanted Down Under program. 

The return rate after the show is done is enormous apparently.

Think it's generally about a third ?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I think you can forget the exercise options. For a lot of people outside life simply means getting pissed at a BBQ so I suppose you might need some sun for that option. As for UK winters I expect lack of light rather than cold is the biggest limiter on outside activity. British people like to moan about the weather but the actual number who would really want to live in genuinely hot, arid or continental climates  is probably not that large when put to the test. 

HOLA4421
4 minutes ago, ccc said:

Interesting.

They are doing their 'catch up' shows just now.

I imagine folk who came back with their tails between their legs aren't that keen going on TV about it.

We watched one recently where is was a condition of their marriage that he move with her back to Australia. Mental. 

He certainly wasn't the trouser-wearer in that relationship. That seems to be a running theme with a lot of these programs.

Also, anyone upping sticks and moving to Perth after a weeks recce want their heads examining. I was there for years, it's like living in an Ikea thats running a permanent sale on melanomas.

HOLA4422
40 minutes ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

As for UK winters I expect lack of light rather than cold is the biggest limiter on outside activity. 

Yep. Up here in Calder Valley it can be dire in January and February. Being so close to the Pennines we get plenty of dull cold wet overcast days which seem to go on for ever. This doesn't inspire outside activity unless your made of stern stuff.

I tend to use the gym in winter for fitness and get back into the road running when it's warmed up abit in the spring. However, when the sun shines, cold or hot I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. 

HOLA4423

Did an 8KM run today (slightly downhill but all good) it is GREAT weather foreign. I've got compression clothing and its brilliant. I am actually not looking forward to running in the summer, I reckon Autumn and Spring possibly slightly better.

Completely agree with CCC.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived