House Price Crash Forum

Foraging And Scrumping - Anyone Do It?

spunko2010

HOLA441
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Nut and fruit trees and perennial vegetables (ie artichoke, rhubarb, asparagus, strawbs, raspberries etc) are my line of veg gardening as well. I do a little conventional veg gardening as well but it's a lot of faff.

Like you, I think having some grub growing in the garden "just makes sense".

I've been trying to grow some veg (tomatoes, cucumbers, and chillies) for the first time, now I've got a greenhouse. I enjoy it so it's more about the satisfaction than getting a meaningful contribution to my food supply. Rhubarb is a good idea, might have to see if I can find a space for a patch somewhere.

HOLA443

Attn: apple growers and scrumpers - how are yours doing this year? I've got four trees of cookers and eaters and absolutely nowt on 'em this year. First year I've drawn a blank.

Pear trees, OTOH, are going great guns.

HOLA444

Not much to scrump in suburban London other than the ubiquitous blackberries. We have a couple of pear trees in our garden hanging over the wall so passers by sometimes help themselves to the fruit on that side, which is fine by us, as we could never eat them all.

The urban form of foraging is bin raiding. I used to get quite a lot of supposedly spoiled food (and sometimes other goods) from the bins of various local supermarkets when I was long on time and short on money. Sadly I think they've all started locking them away now, though perhaps I should have another look now that I'm (through choice) unemployed.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I think they're the same thing as bilberries. They usually only grow high up (by UK standards, perhaps 800' above sea level around here). There are some patches near me that I'll help myself to when passing at the right time of year, and I keep meaning to take a box along and try to fill it with enough to put in a pie, which will take ages.

There are some places near me with patches of raspberries growing along the roadside, and they're bloody delicious.

Winberries up on the moors. Available for about 10-14 days at the greengrocers. A friend bought me a couple of pound the other year and I made some tiny pots of jam. Yummy.

What's the definition of scrumping ?

When I was a kid everyone knew where the allotments were.

Don't know, but taking from gardens is stealing.

Orchards and hedgerows are much fairer game.

HOLA447
HOLA448

There are I believe wild cherries around here (in Kent) but I've never known what to do with them so haven't picked them, plus there are a lot of lookalikes that aren't edible.

The lookalikes that taste good can be the biggest hazard. Belladonna berries look a lot like wild blueberries. I sadly don't gather wild mushrooms 'cos I lack the confidence and know some of the lookalikes can be a lot worse than mere deadly nightshade.

Attn: apple growers and scrumpers - how are yours doing this year? I've got four trees of cookers and eaters and absolutely nowt on 'em this year. First year I've drawn a blank.

I think the plum trees are teasing me. Looks like lots of fruit, but going from underripe to split open and shrivelling without a delicious stage between. Sometime this week I think I'll cook up a batch, and see if that works with the b***ers. Two years ago they were delicious, but last year I got nothing any good from them.

HOLA449

Winberries up on the moors. Available for about 10-14 days at the greengrocers. A friend bought me a couple of pound the other year and I made some tiny pots of jam. Yummy.

Wow, you are very lucky to be able to buy in the greengrocers. They take a lot of picking

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Don't know, but taking from gardens is stealing.

Orchards and hedgerows are much fairer game.

You flipping land owning elites hoarding all the food from the poor oppressed peasants.. you'll be the first to fall under the pitch forks when the revolution comes ya know ;)

Put me down for sloes and.. if I can ever learn to confidently identify it, possibly some wild horseradish this year

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Same here. Three trees that yielded so many apples last year I was giving them away to anyone I remotely knew. This year - not a single apple so far.

HOLA4417

No one mentioned rhubarb?

It was pretty much a weed where I grew up. Used to cut a stalk with our pen knives and chew on it raw.

I've noticed a few stalks growing here and there where I live now. Unfortunately my kids don't like fruit pie. Which I find utterly bizarre.

HOLA4418

Day off today and when the tide has fully dropped and the sand's dried out a bit will be gathering sea beet and marsh samphire to go with the mackerel I caught for a fully foraged dinner.

I would love to say that I always eat like this but this will be the first one this year. Though hopefully not the last.

Reporting back the sea beet / sea spinach was very poor probably from the dry weather. There were a small number of decent plants but for most I wasn't going to take one of their few leaves.

Marsh samphire was plentiful and tall (for it, 3 or 4"), so easy to pick. Most was not yet going woody.

HOLA4419

Same here. Three trees that yielded so many apples last year I was giving them away to anyone I remotely knew. This year - not a single apple so far.

One eater (Laxtons) doing well but the cooker is almost bare. Strong winds brought down just 8 small apples over the weekend, last year it would have been dozens.

As to other stuff....both plum trees completely bare, nectarine doing reasonably well despite peach-curl earlier in the year, raspberries and blackcurrants were very good, not quite 2015 but close.

HOLA4420

No one mentioned rhubarb?

It was pretty much a weed where I grew up. Used to cut a stalk with our pen knives and chew on it raw.

I've noticed a few stalks growing here and there where I live now. Unfortunately my kids don't like fruit pie. Which I find utterly bizarre.

Yay! Everyone to whom I have mentioned eating raw rhubarb in RL (dipping the end in sugar) has looked at me like I was mad.

So there are now two of us.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I'm in awe of people who eat wild mushrooms, there is I believe a slightly higher chance of them being toxic than not in the UK, and I've never wanted to take the risk. I believe Ray Mears advised against picking them, the risk is too high.

UK seaweed on the other hand are all entirely edible, although kelp is a bit tough.

HOLA4423

I recommend Loganberries . (A hybrid of raspberries and blackberries developed more than 100 years ago by American Judge by the name of Logan)

They taste much better than blackberries and are 2 to 3 times the size. (no thorns)

Available from Aldi for about £6. You only need one plant as they are easy to propagate .

HOLA4424

I'm in awe of people who eat wild mushrooms, there is I believe a slightly higher chance of them being toxic than not in the UK, and I've never wanted to take the risk. I believe Ray Mears advised against picking them, the risk is too high.

UK seaweed on the other hand are all entirely edible, although kelp is a bit tough.

Field mushrooms should be OK - don't think there's anything dangerous that looks similar.

http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/images/agaricaceae/agaricus-campestris5.jpg

HOLA4425

.....wild cherries are slightly smaller than normal but taste delicious, elder flowers and berries, cob nuts, walnuts a big treat if you know where the fruitful tree is.....blackberries and apple pie.....all manner of herbs and edible fruits and flowers...sloes and damsons, hips, hops and haws..... ;)

Archived