House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
8 hours ago, longgone said:

So what if it is suck it up or shop around. 20% or more can be negotiated right now brexit or no Brexit. Holidays are cheap if you have a brain. In fact most things are apart from rigged housing.

Tc bookers need not apply.

You don't Know for sure so stop making assumptions

I'm not making any assumptions. That's why I said the consequences could be negative or positive. The point is it will affect everyone who has any interactions with European economies (basically the world, apart from a few very poor places).

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 minute ago, Dorkins said:

UK GDP growth does not interest me. I want a home for my family. I will vote for whoever will help me to get one at a reasonable price.

Move to somewhere where houses are really cheap, maybe Wales? Why vote, you can move instead.

HOLA444
2 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

I'm not making any assumptions. That's why I said the consequences could be negative or positive. The point is it will affect everyone who has any interactions with European economies (basically the world, apart from a few very poor places).

I just fail to see why these morons are parading the street's with eu flags wrapped around their backs. What the puck are they losing ??

And what's the phucking point.

Low level plebs aren't affected by this working or non working jobs are insecure anyway and for most robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Why would the government have the appetite for mass redundancies when they would need to pick up the benefit bill.

HOLA445

So what if it is suck it up or shop around. 20% or more can be negotiated right now brexit or no Brexit. Holidays are cheap if you have a brain. In fact most things are apart from rigged housing.

Didn't people have the opportunity to shop around before sterling's value fell?

HOLA446
HOLA447
21 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Move to somewhere where houses are really cheap, maybe Wales? Why vote, you can move instead.

Trouble is my industry is pretty SE-centric. My current job pays well and I am able to accumulate capital at a decent rate so might as well make hay while the sun shines. Evacuating at some point is an option for us. It won't be an option for most of SE England's wageslaves.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA448
HOLA449

I just fail to see why these morons are parading the street's with eu flags wrapped around their backs. What the puck are they losing ??

The fall in the value of sterling means people are a lot poorer. I tried to give the example of foreign travel, as many people travel abroad and I think almost everyone will notice the significant change in exchange rate.

The cost of many things we import will go up. They might not go up for a while, depending on when prices were agreed, the amount of stock, and the foreign exchange arrangements of importers. Consequently the price of imported goods does not have to increase immediately, but they will if the exchange rate is lower for significant amounts of time.

As others have noted it will make us vulnerable to foreigners. British assets (for example, property) have become a lot cheaper to foreigners and wealthy British people who have foreign denominated assets. They may buy at prices which seem cheap to them but are still expensive to locals, preventing prices from falling to levels which locals can afford.

But you should just suck it up or negotiate, right?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
1 hour ago, jonb2 said:

Actually the ERM was secondary. The main problem was inflation hunting. Like all right wing economist-driven governments, they thought inflation was the main bad thing and used interest rates to 'control it'. A mistake many now admit to. And possibly the inverse of what we have now. The pendulum has gone over to another dire extreme where the super-rich pay no interest for their burgeoning asset portfolios.

I never said that the social housing was demolished did I? I said it was privatised which it was. But I see your point. The issue is that not enough housing is being built. Plus employment for a huge swathe of workers will never pay enough to let them own a house. We have increasingly crappier jobs, so this trend is not reversible on our current trend vector.

The illusion with Brexit will make things better. They won't until inequality becomes something important in somebody's manifesto.

Can't remember who/when the income/mortgage advance ratio was scrapped e.g 3 x income and of course BTL mortgages and tax incentives.

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, jonb2 said:

Check back Dave, I have always said immigration worries should have been listened to. If people have grievances, then it's OUR government's job to do something to address those concerns. The fact that Westminster's ears have fallen off is nothing to do with the EU. It's that our politicians are not fit for purpose.

Yes, Blair was instrumental in opening the gates to more immigration, but it got ramped when the Tories came in and it was they that could have taken a litmus test of opinion and acted upon it. They didn't. Now they are selling us Brexit which won't fix a fecking thing. In fact it will make things much worse as employment, services, healthcare and security will simply whither faster on the vine.

Juncker said no, hence where we are.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

The fall in the value of sterling means people are a lot poorer. I tried to give the example of foreign travel, as many people travel abroad and I think almost everyone will notice the significant change in exchange rate.

The cost of many things we import will go up. They might not go up for a while, depending on when prices were agreed, the amount of stock, and the foreign exchange arrangements of importers. Consequently the price of imported goods does not have to increase immediately, but they will if the exchange rate is lower for significant amounts of time.

As others have noted it will make us vulnerable to foreigners. British assets (for example, property) have become a lot cheaper to foreigners and wealthy British people who have foreign denominated assets. They may buy at prices which seem cheap to them but are still expensive to locals, preventing prices from falling to levels which locals can afford.

But you should just suck it up or negotiate, right?

Don't travel abroad then and forget about imported food make do with what you have

Housing is overpriced to most already so no change there. If the government is really that bothered they can limit overseas purchases.

Indeed suck it up. Less air travel less co'2

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

The thing is; renting is shit. You get  treated like scum; and there’s a sword of Damocles hanging over your head of two months eviction at any time.

Buy To Let is a big part of the problem - too many feckers wanting to make money out of property...

Not to worry. Jacob Rees-Mordor Properties (Serfdom)Ltd will be looking out for the small guy after brexit.

Rocking the Khazi.

It's all the EU's fault.

HOLA4417
14 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Not to worry. Jacob Rees-Mordor Properties (Serfdom)Ltd will be looking out for the small guy after brexit.

Rocking the Khazi.

It's all the EU's fault.

If you are quick you can join the remainer mob running after him; calling him a Nazi.

Because remainers aren’t bigots or abusive are they?

I’m sure JRM’s Young son will enjoy watching you chuck a salted caramel banana milkshake in his fathers face.

Edited by GrizzlyDave

HOLA4418
45 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Yup Kosmin. I've posted this graph several times in answer to Sheeple and others who claim that the EU was a central cause of woe to most of the population - never got a response in argument. Here it is again, twice.

JPLJ2Kw.png

QkjMvLP.jpg

I've replied and still waiting on Slawek providing a link to the Leave/Remain graph upthread.

HOLA4419
1 minute ago, GrizzlyDave said:

If you are quick you can join the remainer mob running after him; calling him a Nazi.

Because remainers aren’t bigots or abusive are they?

I’m sure JRM’s Young son will enjoy watching you chuck a salted caramel banana milkshake in his fathers face.

Remember to tug your forelock in front of your landlord.

HOLA4420

Don't travel abroad then and forget about imported food make do with what you have

We can already do those things! If that's what people want, why not just do those things now?

Indeed suck it up. Less air travel less co'2

This might be a good consequence. It's not obvious that leaving the EU would be a net positive though. There is a lot of talk of deregulation, which might mean more co2.

Housing is overpriced to most already so no change there. If the government is really that bothered they can limit overseas purchases.

The government has taken a lot of steps to keep housing unaffordable. There is cross-party consensus to continue to do so (extend HTB). If people wanted to make property affordable, we could have had groups campaigning for that, much like the Referendum Party, UKIP, Leave campaign and the Brexit Party. I think it would be easier for them to have success because the benefits are more obvious and the number of losers are much smaller, and there aren't difficulties of negotiations and transitions to new regulatory regimes. All that would be required would be changes  to some of the following: taxes, tenancy law, mortgage regulation, building and planning, housing benefit, monetary policy.

HOLA4421
35 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

UK GDP growth does not interest me. I want a home for my family. I will vote for whoever will help me to get one at a reasonable price.

Completely agree on house affordability but the point I was trying to make with the graph is the power of the politico/msm establishment when you compare the £1-2trillion impact of the GFC to Brexit.

HOLA4422
8 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

We can already do those things! If that's what people want, why not just do those things now?

This might be a good consequence. It's not obvious that leaving the EU would be a net positive though. There is a lot of talk of deregulation, which might mean more co2.

The government has taken a lot of steps to keep housing unaffordable. There is cross-party consensus to continue to do so (extend HTB). If people wanted to make property affordable, we could have had groups campaigning for that, much like the Referendum Party, UKIP, Leave campaign and the Brexit Party. I think it would be easier for them to have success because the benefits are more obvious and the number of losers are much smaller, and there aren't difficulties of negotiations and transitions to new regulatory regimes. All that would be required would be changes  to some of the following: taxes, tenancy law, mortgage regulation, building and planning, housing benefit, monetary policy.

So leaving the eu is not that bad after all then.

I think we all know it's a crock of chit.

Biggest risk is drop of the pound nowt much else. My only wealth is fiat pound and I am not concerned.

Personally they can keep their goods I don't want them. And If I do I will pay more.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425