House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
2 hours ago, dugsbody said:

Those facts will be handwaved away and you'll be having this same argument in a few weeks.

Oh well, at least it's written down now so when the 'UK is a special immigration magnet' claim inevitably returns I can just quote these numbers again.

It does go to show the power of repetition in forming people's beliefs about the world. So many people believe the 'UK is a special immigration magnet' claim because it gets repeated over and over again in newspapers etc even though the actual data can be found with a 30 second google. People want to believe it, and they keep hearing it said, so it must be true.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA443
22 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Okay, I will do your homework for you. Immigrants arriving in 2017 per 1000 inhabitants:

image.png.0ed2d40e26db4c30dcafb2ec922d76a3.png

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Migration_and_migrant_population_statistics

The UK is almost exactly mid-table and is not a special immigration magnet.

But it does have the most rapidly growing population (ignoring tiny counties like Luxembourg)

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA444
22 minutes ago, pig said:

‘+ spraying the phrase  ‘open the floodgates’ everywhere and  Merkels reptilian global ponzi population conspiracy theory. 

Is it any wonder we get Bojo the clown as PM, Widdecombe Straight-Outta-Comedy-Sitcom representing us in Europe ?

Actually, that’s why this thread has been so useful ...

You're conflating a lot of different concepts there in order to make them all seem crazy. I like the strategy but an ever expanding human population is having an impact on all our lives in myriad different ways. As dreamy and utopian as it would be to pretend that the world's resources are infinite and humans have zero impact on the natural environment, the reality is mo' people mo' problems. 

Here's the original Forbes article link, for reference. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2019/04/05/the-world-economy-is-a-pyramid-scheme-steven-chu-says/#57652a194f17

The heading is The World Economy Is A Pyramid Scheme, nothing to do with Merkel and reptiles :D 

HOLA445
8 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Including English-born it would presumably be a lot higher.

Yes, I imagine it would be. But that’s not really the point.

The point is that Scotland (and I believe also Northern Ireland, and Wales) have far fewer non UK born as a percentage of the population than England.

I think it might be informative to explore the constituent parts of the UK...

HOLA446
9 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Yes, I imagine it would be. But that’s not really the point.

The point is that Scotland (and I believe also Northern Ireland, and Wales) have far fewer non UK born as a percentage of the population than England.

Scotland has been trying to encourage migrants to move there  (officially) even trying to bribe them

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scotland-immigrants-cash-money-moving-brexit-nicola-sturgeon-andrew-wilson-scottish-independence-a8369786.html%3famp

apparently they don’t choose to live there, they would rather be amongst the little englanders..

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA447
13 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Yes I know how this argument works, same thing every time. Country level data presented, doesn't fit the narrative about the UK being a special case so start carving the UK up into bits but continuing to compare it to country level data from overseas, find a way to slice the UK up to make England/southern England/London look like a special case with some magical properties found nowhere else in the world. Anything but concede the simpler conclusion that the UK is a developed nation much like any other developed nation, basically the same strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA448
1 minute ago, Dorkins said:

Yes I know how this argument works, same thing every time. Country level data presented, start carving the UK up into bits but continuing to compare it to country level data from overseas, find a way to slice the UK up to make England/southern England/London look like a special case with some magical properties found nowhere else in the world.

It irritates me to say it but London is a pretty special place, most Europeans would agree I suggest too

HOLA449
On 04/07/2019 at 10:51, debtlessmanc said:

Saw this on another forum, found it really interesting - Bertrand Russell (Born 1872) being interviewed on television in 1952. The interesting bit is from 21 to 25 mins (well it is all interesting). He basically predicts the world's current problems and also the EU's direction of travel (as a proto-world govt). The only difference is he clearly understands the importance of having a stable population everywhere for world peace. Something which has become a taboo to discuss in liberal circles

edit to add, he also predicts the rise of china industrially but not democratically

it'll be interesting to see how undemocratic china with a falling population and democratic india with a rising population compare in military assertiveness in 10 or 20 years.

HOLA4410
13 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Scotland has been trying to encourage migrants to move there  (officially) even trying to bribe them

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scotland-immigrants-cash-money-moving-brexit-nicola-sturgeon-andrew-wilson-scottish-independence-a8369786.html%3famp

apparently they don’t choose to live there, they would rather be amongst the little englanders..

Aye.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
10 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Yes I know how this argument works, same thing every time. Country level data presented, doesn't fit the narrative about the UK being a special case so start carving the UK up into bits but continuing to compare it to country level data from overseas, find a way to slice the UK up to make England/southern England/London look like a special case with some magical properties found nowhere else in the world. Anything but concede the simpler conclusion that the UK is a developed nation much like any other developed nation, basically the same strengths and weaknesses.

No.

Scotland’s population is flat; which is very different to England. The population density is also far lower in Scotland. I would argue that factors such as these may help explain some of the regional differences with brexit.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
41 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

But it does have the most rapidly growing population (ignoring tiny counties like Luxembourg)

Follow the money. EU migrants were drawn here in greater numbers than anywhere else because the rate of job creation was higher here than anywhere else - because the rate of debt production was higher here than anywhere else.

Now the rate of debt creation has dropped to a crawl, so too have the immigration numbers.

hunt%2B2.png&f=1

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
40 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Not "special cases" but acknowledging that different places have different issues, and that it's perfectly valid to consider them at different levels. There are issues in Scotland that aren't present in England and vice-versa, problems in London that aren't as much elsewhere in England, and so on. What is dishonest is lumping things together purely for the purposes of trying to mask the issues.

HOLA4418
3 hours ago, dugsbody said:

But unfortunately it was a miscalculation by Merkel. She underestimated the anti migrant sentiment and the ability of people to reshape reality for their own purposes.

I heard first hand(from Germans) her action was a charitable one. "Wir schaffen das" and in fairness they did get it organised.

But I think Mutti has stayed on too long. As Chris Patten put it in last night's Thatcher program  - you leave the stage whilst you still can, rather than being dragged off it.

It applied to Thatcher and it certainly applies to Merkel today. Merkel ain't helping the EU situation at all. As for her singular choice of UvdL and deputy dog AKK ? Well read the German or American media for the take on that.  ?

Thankfully we've got Bozo to amuse us for the next few days. #Clown4PM

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
4 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Farage's doomsday cult is the greatest recruiting totem for the Scots Nats since Thatcher.

I know (of) thousands of Scots, and in the Nat camp there are Brexit supporters, but I don't know of a single one who has voted for the Brexit party - except GrizzlyDave.

Make of that what you will.

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

You're conflating a lot of different concepts there in order to make them all seem crazy. I like the strategy but an ever expanding human population is having an impact on all our lives in myriad different ways. As dreamy and utopian as it would be to pretend that the world's resources are infinite and humans have zero impact on the natural environment, the reality is mo' people mo' problems. 

Here's the original Forbes article link, for reference. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2019/04/05/the-world-economy-is-a-pyramid-scheme-steven-chu-says/#57652a194f17

The heading is The World Economy Is A Pyramid Scheme, nothing to do with Merkel and reptiles :D 

What has Brexit got to do with the worlds population ?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
11 minutes ago, pig said:

What has Brexit got to do with the worlds population ?

Brexit is a millenarist belief system:

Millenarianism (also millenarism), from Latin mīllēnārius "containing a thousand", is the belief by a religious, social, or political group or movement in a coming fundamental transformation of society, after which "all things will be changed"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millenarianism

You can see it in operation on this thread. After Brexit, politicians will become responsive to the needs of the population (because they will no longer be able to hide behind the EU), the environment will be saved, society will become cohesive and everybody will pop round their neighbour to borrow a cup of sugar etc.