House Price Crash Forum

£50 Notes To Be Taken Out Of Circulation

HOLA441

As I am neither a criminal or a builder, I do not need £50 notes. They are a hassle to use anyway.

I accept that it might be useful to store a bit of cash at home in case of some banking upset - an IT collapse might be the most likely cause. But the amount I would have, I am unlikely to run out of room if it is in £20s as opposed to £50s.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Good point, guess it depends on what you are buying. Anyway, I'm way ahead of you, as I do have a stockpile of £2s but the £10 and £5s I've spend down because of the new ones coming! Going to have to start spending the £20s soon. B)

...think a few flintstones and natural springs would be better than worthless pieces of paper when the need comes..... :rolleyes:

HOLA443

The new fivers are smaller and remind me of Disney dollars. The see though plastic is a bit of a fad so I would expect fthem to be spent a little more quickly than they are now.

I guess they'll always need cash for some things ;)

HOLA444

I guess they'll always need cash for some things ;)

Which is why the powers that be want cash banned. It makes untaxed economic activity much more difficult.

Of course, in reality, you'll end up with some sort of underground alternative currency. But the divide between the illicit economy and the approved economy will be much greater.

HOLA445

Which is why the powers that be want cash banned. It makes untaxed economic activity much more difficult.

Of course, in reality, you'll end up with some sort of underground alternative currency. But the divide between the illicit economy and the approved economy will be much greater.

It's probably fair to say that the powers that be are over represented in their use of drugs and prostitutes compared to the general population.

There'll always be some sort of mechanism left for illicit transactions off the radar.

HOLA446

As I am neither a criminal or a builder, I do not need £50 notes. They are a hassle to use anyway.

I accept that it might be useful to store a bit of cash at home in case of some banking upset - an IT collapse might be the most likely cause. But the amount I would have, I am unlikely to run out of room if it is in £20s as opposed to £50s.

You have fallen for the propaganda, hook, line and sinker and are even spreading the word.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

This thread led me to think that money is (supposed to be) a translation of value. The paper or coin itself is not worth much, but represents value. An electrician won't want to be paid in plumbing services if they do not need plumbing at the time, and vice versa.

A gold coin on the other hand is worth in itself. Gold is on the up. I bought at the bottom. I've been screwed on another investment though. I'm no expert.

There's a town in Cornwall called Totnes, with its own currency. Go Totnes!

HOLA4411

This thread led me to think that money is (supposed to be) a translation of value. The paper or coin itself is not worth much, but represents value. An electrician won't want to be paid in plumbing services if they do not need plumbing at the time, and vice versa.

A gold coin on the other hand is worth in itself. Gold is on the up. I bought at the bottom. I've been screwed on another investment though. I'm no expert.

Gold merely represents value, the same as a coin or a note. If a person isn't willing to accept it, if it's worthless to them, it's of no more use than a coin or a note. Plumbing services, or bricks, or tools, or food, have intrinsic value because they 'do' something. Gold merely sits there as a representation of value.

Totnes is in Devon. Bristol (Bristol) and Brixton (London) also have their 'own' pounds. They're pegged at 1:1 with Sterling, and can only be spent at some businesses in the local area.

HOLA4412

Gold merely represents value, the same as a coin or a note. If a person isn't willing to accept it, if it's worthless to them, it's of no more use than a coin or a note. Plumbing services, or bricks, or tools, or food, have intrinsic value because they 'do' something. Gold merely sits there as a representation of value.

Totnes is in Devon. Bristol (Bristol) and Brixton (London) also have their 'own' pounds. They're pegged at 1:1 with Sterling, and can only be spent at some businesses in the local area.

gold is the most liquid commodity. it has constant marginal utility. because gold has more properties required of money than any other commodity. gold is portable, durable, fungible, divisible, non counterfeitable, not common like sand, not consumed by industry, desirable. more than any other commodity. list them and see for yourself. try carrying oil in your pocket in meaningful denominations. diamonds are not fungible, not readily divisible. platinum is all consumed by industry. tulips are not durable. salt is ubiquitous. paper is counterfeitable. etc etc. gold is money. bitcoins may be even better money. we shall see. Edited by evetsm

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Interestingly BitCoin has doubled in value from last year.

Also, remember that Cash Rules Everything Around Me - CREAM, get the money, dollar dollar bill y'all.

: That'ts why they don't like it for the reasons raised in this thread. Digitisation leads to greater scrutiny from banks and prying by the Intelligence services and HMRC, and it's why they hate anonymous BitCoin style currency's.

But cash will always be around because elites need to buy things off the radar sometimes.

I will miss the 50. Someone will start a petition.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

[quote name="bristolhunter" post="1102951144" time

you admit that it's money and then you say it has no worth!? it's worth is as money!

people are willing to demand a commodity that makes great money. Intrinsic value is the most misunderstood principle in economics IMO. if people demand something it has intrinsic value. value is only determined if someone is willing to demand it. the intrinsic value of gold is for it's money properties.

HOLA4417

I can see people no longer wanting to work cash in hand if they have to get 5 20s as opposed to 2 50s. Game set and match the government.

That's short-term thinking. Once the £50 is gone, it softens people up to the eventual removal of the £20 note and so on.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

That's short-term thinking. Once the £50 is gone, it softens people up to the eventual removal of the £20 note and so on.

See what you're getting at but no one used 50s for day to day usage anyway.

Only time i use them is to take on holiday so my wallet isn't overflowing.

HOLA4420

You'd think they'd remove the smaller denominations first. We've still got a one pence piece; what use are they apart from filling up a jar in the spare room?

They were good for weighing 1/8 of solid back in the day.

HOLA4421

Of course I agree that plumbing etc has value and would hope to not give any impression I was saying otherwise! I just meant that a plumber could use money to pay an electrician who doesn't happen to need any plumbing done at that time.

HOLA4422

[quote name="bristolhunter" post="1102951144" time

you admit that it's money and then you say it has no worth!? it's worth is as money!

people are willing to demand a commodity that makes great money. Intrinsic value is the most misunderstood principle in economics IMO. if people demand something it has intrinsic value. value is only determined if someone is willing to demand it. the intrinsic value of gold is for it's money properties.

Your error is in ascribing it properties beyond that of money.

The paranoid loons buy gold because they think in societal breakdown, it will allow them to preserve purchasing power. If the £2 coin in your pocket won't buy you food, the stash of bullion in your vault probably won't either. I'm not going to be wandering around post-collapse saying "well, I'll take that random hunk of metal as a store of value in exchange for goods and services, but formal currency designed for that purpose? Pish off".

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Hardly. The £20 is in regular daily use. The £50 isn't.

Depends on what you think the endgame is:

1. The £50 note isn't used and therefore is superfluous.

2. This is the first step in abolishing physical cash, enabling the introduction of negative interest rates/more interference from the Government.

The 1st I have no problem with, the 2nd I find rather alarming.

HOLA4425

I'm under the impression that "job for a job" is actually very common. If no money changes hands and it's just friends doing favours for each other, then there's no tax paid.