House Price Crash Forum

Brexit Will Make A Significant 'hit' On House Prices

HOLA441

Surprised there is not a thread for this story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/08/eu-referendum-michael-gove-vs-george-osborne/

One reason to vote out then

Actually I read Osborne's statement as a sign that the information reaching the Treasury is showing some sort of HPC is now almost inevitable and that he is getting his excuses in first. Whatever the outcome of the Referendum on June 23 you can be sure that any fall in house prices will now be blamed on the 'uncertainty' surrounding it.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

In the end the whole debate is about who you think should be running your country - our government or the EU.

I do wonder if Osborne had been Chancellor in May 1940 he would have argued for us to surrender to Germany - as the expected Blitz would be bad for people's house prices.

Really is this all that matters now - probably yes!

HOLA445

In the end the whole debate is about who you think should be running your country - our government or the EU.

I do wonder if Osborne had been Chancellor in May 1940 he would have argued for us to surrender to Germany - as the expected Blitz would be bad for people's house prices.

Really is this all that matters now - probably yes!

It is the people that live in the country that in all truth actually run the country.....nobody else does. ;)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

On the opposite extreme, joining the Euro would have resulted in a "significant hit on house prices".

Will it really change anyone's allegiance? I suppose there may be one or two waverers who would be convinced.

Unless you argue that Brexit will bring about an economic depression, leading to desolation as industries leave the country and mass unemployment soars, which will then reduce property prices. But I've not yet heard scare stories to that extent from the Remain side. Time yet for this!

HOLA449

This will hopefully backfire on him, there are a lot of people who would benefit from lower house prices.

Most people would benefit from lower home prices......even those who are left a home that has to be distributed, less tax to pay, more that can be bought for less. ;)

HOLA4410

Brexit Will Make A Significant 'hit' On House Prices

Why?

Are they scrapping help to buy?

Banning BTL mortgages?

Uh um nope.

Given that Osborne is the single greatest obstacle to a house price correction in this country you'd have thought someone would have put these questions to him directly.

Edited by zugzwang

HOLA4411

The powers that be...do not want the plebs to own stuff that has any possibility to ever be worth something....their money is made and earned and spent today on instant gratification stuff....the stuff the rich have no need for, they have already got it. ;)

HOLA4412

It was interesting to read about the London Mayoral elections, and that the 'housing crisis' played into Kahn's hand.

It's the first time the MSM has generally admitted there is a housing crisis.

This whole argument is bananas. Staying in or leaving will make relatively little difference. We need to build a lot of social housing that is ring fenced against speculators, Panamanian money launderers, the Hong Kong mob, people like the Blairs and so on. In terms of the British electorate, home ownership shrinks dramatically every year. Osborne is a fool if he can't see that.

HOLA4413
We need to build a lot of social housing that is ring fenced against speculators, Panamanian money launderers, the Hong Kong mob, people like the Blairs and so on.

Corruption kills......mostly the good and sometimes the bad. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4414

My reading of this is far less sophisticated motivations on osbournes part. Falling house prices and higher mortgage rates( note he didnt say interest rates) is the equivalent of plagues of locusts and the death of the first born in the British imagination. The last thing he wants is higher interest rates as he knows ultra low rates is the only thing keeping the overmortgaged swing voter sweet in the key marginals that gave the tories a majority( and exactly the same group he is hoping to scare out to vote remain.)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I take this as an assurance that HPC is imminent, and that the Tories see it on the horizon. Also that Brexit is likely.

Could the tide have turned as far as the 'HPI is great' viewpoint goes, after all the media handwringing about priced out Gen Y lately? It'd be great if Osborne's scaremongering was met with a load of articles saying what a good idea a big fat HPC would be.

HOLA4417

I take this as an assurance that HPC is imminent, and that the Tories see it on the horizon. Also that Brexit is likely.

Could the tide have turned as far as the 'HPI is great' viewpoint goes, after all the media handwringing about priced out Gen Y lately? It'd be great if Osborne's scaremongering was met with a load of articles saying what a good idea a big fat HPC would be.

It would be nice to think so.

But it will be require some very interesting political U-turns.

HOLA4418

I like how Cameron gave us a referendum, and then he and his colleagues use it to blame all economic risks on without accepting any responsibility for it. If Brexit is such a massive risk to the country, why have the Government allowed us to decide whether to have it? Oh, because the Tories were more concerned with losing an election than safeguarding the country.

HOLA4419

This will hopefully backfire on him, there are a lot of people who would benefit from lower house prices.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/08/brexit-hit-house-prices-significantly-george-osborne-eu-referendum

I think so too. The top rated comments on the Guardian are interesting - all wanting house prices to fall. I do wonder who Osborne is trying to appeal to with that statement.

HOLA4420

Osbourne is such a t__t.

He now plays the house price card after pumping up prices for the last 2 years with his preposterious ponzi HTB scheme, Now he scares people who have bought in at skyhigh prices with negative equity. He should be stood in front of a firing squad and shot.

Edited by GreenDevil

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2b963288-1504-11e6-b197-a4af20d5575e.html#axzz480dwKQOD

FT comments are also all pro house price falls. Other than a dodgy vicar and a swarm of BTL parasites everyone sane wants house prices to come down.

As meteorologists would say there is a 'Pattern Change' going on in public opinion. There are now more losers than winners in the current housing market. Moreover, many of the rising number of owner occupiers without mortgages probably don't care too much if the market goes up or down unless they are planning on selling up and emigrating. Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4423

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/08/brexit-hit-house-prices-significantly-george-osborne-eu-referendum

I think so too. The top rated comments on the Guardian are interesting - all wanting house prices to fall. I do wonder who Osborne is trying to appeal to with that statement.

The Boomers.

The Remain side have twigged that it's the boomers who are overwhelmingly Brexit, but also those most likely to vote.

This one is 'your BTL empire is at risk'. We've already had the one about visas for travel and increased travel costs for their endless holidays. But expect other age-appropriate warnings:

- Brexit will put cream teas at National Trust properties at risk

- Brexit will add trade duties to incontinence pad imports

- Danger that you won't be allowed to disembark at Mediterranean islands on your cruise

- Scotland splitting from UK if we vote to leave will result in shortbread shortage

...etc

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The Boomers.

The Remain side have twigged that it's the boomers who are overwhelmingly Brexit, but also those most likely to vote.

This one is 'your BTL empire is at risk'. We've already had the one about visas for travel and increased travel costs for their endless holidays. But expect other age-appropriate warnings:

- Brexit will put cream teas at National Trust properties at risk

- Brexit will add trade duties to incontinence pad imports

- Danger that you won't be allowed to disembark at Mediterranean islands on your cruise

- Scotland splitting from UK if we vote to leave will result in shortbread shortage

...etc

I agree that must be who Osborne is trying to sway but surely many boomers are sitting on plenty of equity and falls are not really a real concern for them? Many want to see their children able to buy a home of their own.