House Price Crash Forum

What Have The Romans...er Eu... Ever Done For Us? The Negatives.

RentingForever

HOLA441

From discussions in other threads I thought this was worth one on its own as we wend our way to the Referendum on EU. Let's build a list of all the bad things membership of the EU has brought us. I'll start another one on the good things, to keep it balanced and tidy.

To start with I'd say:

• The Euro
  • A preference for bureaucracy over democracy
  • German dominance
  • the way the Greeks have been treated
  • Common Agricultural Policy
  • Coups d'etat against Greece and Italy - installing banker/technocrat governments
  • Corruption - accounts are audited but have never been signed off
  • Tying us - the 5th biggest economy in the world - into a single trading bloc
  • EU laws taking precedent over UK ones
  • Too dominated by lobbyists
  • Decisions are remote from the people
  • TTIP

HOLA442
HOLA443

They focus on the unprovable emotional arguments...ie 'saved us from war'

(aside from the fact east china and Japan have avoided war since 1945 despite animosities greater than those between Germany and France and no 'asian' EU)

Aside from the fact two nuclear (or de facto) nuclear powers are almost certainly never going to go to war.

The objective advantages, namely passport free travel (apparently, they always ask for mine nonetheless) went up in a cloud of smoke the minute Merkel decided to invite a billion or so muslims here.

Frankly, i'm shocked it isnt 70 or 80% in favour of leaving. Even in 2005, you could have guaranteed 40% would have chosen to leave. Since then, the shameful actions of eurocrats towards debtor nations and the incompetence of the ECB should have added another 20% to the out vote since 2009, the viciousness of the European project being laid bare...they will sacrifice entire nations to get their way. The migrant invasion should have added another 20% on that, German unilateralism and undemocratic political imperialism clear for all to see.

HOLA444

They focus on the unprovable emotional arguments...ie 'saved us from war'

Although emotional arguments are generally ones I find more convincing - "I just dislike / like the feel / look / atmosphere of being in / out of the EU" is a view that I've got more respect for than the "facts".

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Although emotional arguments are generally ones I find more convincing - "I just dislike / like the feel / look / atmosphere of being in / out of the EU" is a view that I've got more respect for than the "facts".

I think there is a certain point at which it does become a 'heart over head' issue.

I absolutely think the heads at the EU are no different to the utopianist cranks that ran the soviet union, and, will, ultimately, if required, employ the same uncompromising policies to push their agenda.

Thats not to say I dont see the same forces at work at a national level...rather the EU is far more distant and IMO less able to change than national parliaments.

Far more local government allowing the kinds of accountability and quick changes possible in Iceland are what we need, and to their credit, they decided against joining.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I think there is a certain point at which it does become a 'heart over head' issue.

Things that affect the heart generally do a lot more for life than the head issues (within reason of course, i.e. need the basics of survival). They're certainly the ones that make life worth living. But we're atrocious at recognising that as a nation.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

This ^^^ but to be fair it was our government that freely entered into a deal in the late 90`s 97? they did have a choice of not doing so but chose the current situation

If nothing else the EU is far too convenient a scapegoat for our own government's incompetence for them to want to leave.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Some guy, I forget who, joked

"I don't want to be a European. I love Europeans, but then I love women too, and in either case, I still do not want to make the sacrifices necessary to become one."

Very drole, however if the person who made the joke was British then he of course was already a European. Perhaps he was in a similar state of identity crisis to the person contemplating becoming a woman.

HOLA4420

Very drole, however if the person who made the joke was British then he of course was already a European. Perhaps he was in a similar state of identity crisis to the person contemplating becoming a woman.

Well we are all created first as females, so the joke holds. :P

HOLA4421

The most dangerous thing about the EU is its relentless mission creep, into scouting for NATO and dirty geopolitics outside the EU, which are not supported by all member states and hurt some disproportionately. There are those in Brussels calling for a EU army. But it's no more likely that this will be representative, or even-handed, than the unelected Commission or the Eurogroup.

HOLA4422

Archived