House Price Crash Forum

The £ Is Dropping

AC44

HOLA441

The trend is really bad.

Within a week it has dropped a lot.

Will this impact the crap CPI?

It will impact interest rates. Currencies all around the globe have collapsed compared to USD over recent months/years. Once the rout is on the scale of funny/loose money injected into the system guarantees overshoots and collapses well beyond fundamentals. Also, once currencies are the "game" all the sharks are out there looking for th next one. The bankrupt of england have a shit record when it comes to fighting currency speculators.

Edited by onlyme2

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Only last month 'experts' were saying the pound will buy over 1.5 euros. Mainly due to the ecb printing more money to boost inflation. Sentiment changed when the head of the ecb said the eurozone is expanding and doesn't need increased QE. Add in brexit and the uks delayed intrest rate rise and the pound started tanking.

I think the Euro country's are still more ******ed than the uk and the pound should come back against the euro. Mainland Europe needs China more than us, plus they have serious problems with a lot of their single currency partners.

I think the Euro is doing well as it has become a reserve currency

HOLA446

Only last month 'experts' were saying the pound will buy over 1.5 euros. Mainly due to the ecb printing more money to boost inflation. Sentiment changed when the head of the ecb said the eurozone is expanding and doesn't need increased QE. Add in brexit and the uks delayed intrest rate rise and the pound started tanking.

I think the Euro country's are still more ******ed than the uk and the pound should come back against the euro. Mainland Europe needs China more than us, plus they have serious problems with a lot of their single currency partners.

I think the Euro is doing well as it has become a reserve currency

When all this stuff is based on heresay and what night happen you have to think...what a load of s**te

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I think the Pound got to 102 in 1985. I met a couple of blokes who put their shirts on it going to 99......the gamble of a lifetime. It was still hurting years later!

The Yen/£ is now at 173......just thought I`d mention it.

Almost $2.50 only four years before that descent to a dollar. $2 as recently as 2007. Seems to show there is usually a decent play on getting your money to the States once the pounds gets toppy, a dream play in case of 1980-1985.

http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/dollhist-graph2.htm

HOLA4410

1.45 and going in the down direction, presumably due to relatively good us job figures.

Many commentators describe the pound as being too strong (presumably against currencies other than the dollar). With amount of stuff we important, they don't discuss what effect a weak pound would have on inflation!!

Edited by reddog

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

1.45 and going in the down direction, presumably due to relatively good us job figures.

Many commentators describe the pound as being too strong (presumably against currencies other than the dollar). With amount of stuff we important, they don't discuss what effect a weak pound would have on inflation!!

+1

The current account deficit doesn't matter... until it does! The last time it mattered for the UK was the 1970s. A repeat of that era's stagflationary woes appears imminent.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

This is all so out of control its amazing.

I can see them putting rates up just to strengthen the pound which in itself would be stupid considering they want exporters to be more competitive.

They want to win in the short and the long term, but that is impossible and the longer they try to win in the short term the deeper they dig their hole.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

This is all so out of control its amazing.

I can see them putting rates up just to strengthen the pound which in itself would be stupid considering they want exporters to be more competitive.

They want to win in the short and the long term, but that is impossible and the longer they try to win in the short term the deeper they dig their hole.

UK exports are not pound dependent. Last time they tried depreciating the pound exports did not increase at all. We mostly export med/high tech products which exports do not increase if the £ goes down.

The opposite a depreciated pound is increasing the costs of the raw materials we import. (We all remember the hyperinflation during 2008-2013).

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425