HOLA441
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I did not know that.

Add Fruit Cocktail to the list. From a tin of course!

Simpson Foods on the main Stretford Road.

They also did fruit cocktails, currys, stewed beef... (in fact anything in a can) for their own brand, Tesco, M&S etc.

Virtually all the same ingredients, canned and cooked on the same lines. Only difference was the inspectors from the higher class stores (M&S) seemed more thorough in checking cleanliness, processes, KPI's etc

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Mince pies are the Devil's own creation. If they were so nice we'd eat them all year round.

Full on Xmas roast with all the trimmings is the only Xmas related food that I actually enjoy.

We don't eat them all year round because we would explode.

They are beautiful things; my December count is up to four.

Althouigh I did hear somebody the other day say that they were only up to two; but they were counting in boxes of six.

HOLA448
HOLA449

We don't eat them all year round because we would explode.

They are beautiful things; my December count is up to four.

Althouigh I did hear somebody the other day say that they were only up to two; but they were counting in boxes of six.

Christ, I'd hit 2 boxes before Thanksgiving.

Must be up to 6 boxes by now. Usually the aldi specially selected variety, the normal co-op ones give me epic heart burn.

Eccles cakes do the job all year round instead of mince pies.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Any fancy finger foods, usually in a box that require warming up in an oven.....anything cadbury....any frozen deserts in a box....mass market convenience avoided.....nothing from certain firms, they know who they are out of principle....

Home made mince pies and Christmas pud, nuts in shells, tangerines and anything authentic fine by me...including dates and figs. ;)

HOLA4412

A box of Turkish Delight.

At last the Turkish Delight was all finished and Edmund was looking very hard at the empty box and wishing that she would ask him whether he would like some more. Probably the Queen knew quite well what he was thinking; for she knew, though Edmund did not, that this was enchanted Turkish Delight and that anyone who had once tasted it would want more and more of it, and would even, if they were allowed, go on eating it till they killed themselves.

HOLA4413

Quality street and roses used to be OK but have been bastardised over the years. Mince pies, I never understood.

My Xmas delicacies are Turkey and stuffing sarnies, cold cuts, high class choccies and various liqueurs.

Am fond of a well-laced figgy pudding, but not Xmas cake, though sometimes a yule log. Definitely trifle - more cream the better.

But if I could have only one, it would be the Turkey and stuffing sarnies

HOLA4414

Quality street and roses used to be OK but have been bastardised over the years. Mince pies, I never understood.

My Xmas delicacies are Turkey and stuffing sarnies, cold cuts, high class choccies and various liqueurs.

Am fond of a well-laced figgy pudding, but not Xmas cake, though sometimes a yule log. Definitely trifle - more cream the better.

But if I could have only one, it would be the Turkey and stuffing sarnies

Bird's Trifle (packet) is definitely one for this thread.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Used to crack the Xmas nuts with my teeth. Chipped a chunk off one molar on boxing day a couple of years ago so no longer buy them anymore. Haven't touched Almonds in their shell since I had an extremely bitter tasting one as a kid.

Any Cadbury's selection (eg Roses/Quality Street) is usually vile but will still be eaten.

Trifle - ugggh.

Being veggie obviously do not touch the turkey. I once turned up with one for the missus, and being non-English she had no idea what to do with it and ran screaming from the room (allowances were made given she was ill at the time). I ended up having to prep and cook the bloody thing.

Love Chesnuts - but only get the pre-peeled ones nowadays.

Mince pies. Love 'em but cannot keep too many in the house. Iceland were giving free boxes to bonus card owners a few weeks ago. The entire box lasted about ten minutes in our house.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

One things that annoys me about food at Christmas (well two):

Sprouts on stalks

Carrots with the tops left on

Why? Why? Is it because it gives the impression that because it's Christmas we're going the extra mile and eating extra fresh veg?

Maybe this could go I'm 'inconsequential things that annoy me intensely'.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

One things that annoys me about food at Christmas (well two):

Sprouts on stalks

Carrots with the tops left on

Why? Why? Is it because it gives the impression that because it's Christmas we're going the extra mile and eating extra fresh veg?

Maybe this could go I'm 'inconsequential things that annoy me intensely'.

Triangle cut sandwiches. The ultimate con.

HOLA4425

Actually got a bit of nostalgia for a bowl of nuts and a nut cracker...don't think people do that anymore do they? but in the 60s and early 70s no household was without them at Christmas.

I've seen plenty of bags of nuts in shells in Asda. We always have some at Christmas. Mr B is very partial.

Archived