House Price Crash Forum

Annoying Cliche Xmas Foods

HOLA441

The following are banned from my house at xmas havng being tortured with them during my childhood:

Ritz crackers
Vol au vons
Primula cheese spread
Pringles
Twiglets
Roses
Quality Street
Heroes
Any more?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Ha! I was expecting brussels sprouts and turkey - both of which I enjoy hugely.

I echo your list bar possibly Roses / Quality Streer, usually get one tin of something like this at Christmas, though more for show tbh. I will add:

• Ginger fancies (biscuits etc.)
  • Those foreign sea shell-shaped chocolates.
  • Crystallised fruit

All bought because the shops pack the shelves with them at Christmas rather than anybody actually liking them.

HOLA445

Haha I love them! Don't get them until my yearly shop to Iceland when they'll be about 50p a tub!

Mini Cheddars, on the other hand, are like crack cocaine to me. I'm pretty sure there's no upper limit on the amount I could eat if I had them to hand.

I might actually become the first human ever to die as a result of a mini cheddar / foam shrimp speedball.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Mini Cheddars, on the other hand, are like crack cocaine to me. I'm pretty sure there's no upper limit on the amount I could eat if I had them to hand.

I might actually become the first human ever to die as a result of a mini cheddar / foam shrimp speedball.

I am the same with those green foil-wrapped chocolate-coated minty biscuits; Viscounts, Yoyos etc.

If I had one then accidentally dropped the packet in the street because a sniper started shooting passers-by from an upstairs window I would in all likelihood risk getting shot to get the rest of the packet.

It's my worst addiction by a country mile. Going cold turkey by never buying them is the only answer, I am two and a half years mint chocolate biscuit free.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Actually got a bit of nostalgia for a bowl of nuts and a nut cracker...don't think people do that anymore do they? but in the 60s and early 70s no household was without them at Christmas.

a bowl of nuts. Most of them so hard you need breaker bars on your nut crackers as well as light eye protection and a hard hat. And when you are lucky enough to break one open you've embedded chunks of shell in the nut you're going to have to spit out later and you'll still be hoovering up shell for months. but the worst thing is when you smash your way into Fort Knuts and the frickin' thing is empty.

The bowl of uncracked nuts will still be sat on my parent's sideboard come Easter.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Tinned Meat.

Memeories of Park Hamper et al as a kid. Hampers full of tins and packets you'd never otherwise see or eat. Pear's Ham, Fray Bentos pies etc. the sorts of things you wouldn't give house room to nowadays. Straight in food bank collection.

Raise your tinned meat to tinned meat pie.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Do you mean the Goblin ones? I don't think I've ever had one of those. Fray Bentos, yes of course.

Worked for several months in the factory in Urmston, Manchester that made Goblin products.

Christ, the smell (and sight) of that meat arriving at the end of the "hamburger" line will stay with me forever. Most soul-destroying place I've ever worked (and there have been some serious contenders)

HOLA4418

Please elaborate!?

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-king-prawn-ring-200g/p/54162

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-luxury-seafood-platter-620g/p/59712

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-luxury-king-prawn-ring-with-seafood-sauce-300g/p/59568

There's normally more.

Iceland idea of luxury is to bung stuff in a ring, with a pot of sauce in the middle.

Badly defrosted Iceland seafood - Well, we defrosted it a couple of days ago. Im sure itll be OK - lets spend New Year on the toilet.

HOLA4419

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-king-prawn-ring-200g/p/54162

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-luxury-seafood-platter-620g/p/59712

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-luxury-king-prawn-ring-with-seafood-sauce-300g/p/59568

There's normally more.

Iceland idea of luxury is to bung stuff in a ring, with a pot of sauce in the middle.

Badly defrosted Iceland seafood - Well, we defrosted it a couple of days ago. Im sure itll be OK - lets spend New Year on the toilet.

:o

HOLA4420

Worked for several months in the factory in Urmston, Manchester that made Goblin products.

Christ, the smell (and sight) of that meat arriving at the end of the "hamburger" line will stay with me forever. Most soul-destroying place I've ever worked (and there have been some serious contenders)

I did not know that.

Add Fruit Cocktail to the list. From a tin of course!

HOLA4421

a bowl of nuts. Most of them so hard you need breaker bars on your nut crackers as well as light eye protection and a hard hat. And when you are lucky enough to break one open you've embedded chunks of shell in the nut you're going to have to spit out later and you'll still be hoovering up shell for months. but the worst thing is when you smash your way into Fort Knuts and the frickin' thing is empty.

The bowl of uncracked nuts will still be sat on my parent's sideboard come Easter.

You can do it with your hand. Sometimes you need to use two in combination and take advantage of the crack.

HOLA4422

Nuts in their shells.

That's a good call - you'd think they'd work out a lot cheaper but I doubt they do given the time it takes to get into them/wastage etc. Pure novelty value I guess.

That said, I'll probably buy some!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived