House Price Crash Forum

Remember When Tv Was Good?

bovinedealer

HOLA441
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I miss the slightly unpredictable and amateurish "live" music performances on shows like Top Of The Pops and other general entertainment shows. These days whenever a celebrity appears on TV they have been rehearsed, styled and polished so much I might just as well be watching a music video.

HOLA443

I always preferred Madam Servalan from Blake's Seven over Felicity Kendal, even though she has a motorway service station named after her, in Cumbria!

I can't visualise it - I must have some kind of mental block in place ever since watching Mackenzie Crook playing Servalan in Blake's Junction 7...

HOLA444

I loved those two series! I have the boxed set of AW Pet. Sweeney next then. :blink:

Modern broadcast TV is crap. The best stuff now comes from the USA.

I agree that Pet and the Sweeney were great - I'd also add Minder to that list.

I also agree than the best shows (in particular, serial dramas) come from the US: the last two series I watched and enjoyed were The Wire and Breaking Bad.

However, one mustn't look at it through the rose tints: there was a lot of dross on TV in the good ol' days too.

HOLA445

We were discussing this down t'pub recently. So many entertaining 60s, 70s and 80s TV shows for lads and blokes. The Monkees,The Munsters, The Man from UNCLE, The Prisoner, Magnum, The Rockford Files, Columbo, Cannon, Kojak, The Sweeney, Minder, Starsky and Hutch, Hill Street Blues....I can't find anything of much interest nowadays. Though I did like The Wire, on subtitles.

HOLA446

We were discussing this down t'pub recently. So many entertaining 60s, 70s and 80s TV shows for lads and blokes. The Monkees,The Munsters, The Man from UNCLE, The Prisoner, Magnum, The Rockford Files, Columbo, Cannon, Kojak, The Sweeney, Minder, Starsky and Hutch, Hill Street Blues....I can't find anything of much interest nowadays. Though I did like The Wire, on subtitles.

I like most of that, but it's pretty much all TV for blokes.

TV has gone more feminine with the big current shows being Downton Abbey, Bake Off, Dancing shows, X Factor etc. I quite liked Poldark but that was remake of an old show and was designed to (and did) pull in female viewers by casting a pretty boy as Ross Poldark rather than the hard bloke he actually was in the books and original series.

This basically means I watch (on iPlayer, Youtube etc) reruns of older programmes, and cannot ever seeing myself getting a TV or TV licence again.

HOLA447

There's probably a bit of bigging up your own era and nostalgia here. For me television peaked in the mid seventies because they were my wonder years. No doubt someone aged 41 would say mid eighties.

This was compulsory viewing for about 20 million people on Saturday nights when it ran between 1973-1976. It was far better than Clemen's previous effort the Avengers and was done fairly straight for the most part. Thrillers are not in fashion these days.

HOLA448
HOLA449

proper drama involving ordinary people hardly exists on TV anymore. Just hyper-real cops, lawyers, doctors, gangsters and serial killers; whodunnits and vampire/ scifi fantasy escapism, mostly from the US.

hard to imagine something like this being commissioned now:

I wonder whether it is the proliferation of Soaps that has killed off these productions. Stuff like Play for Today were good a doing social drama.

HOLA4410

I agree that Pet and the Sweeney were great - I'd also add Minder to that list.

I also agree than the best shows (in particular, serial dramas) come from the US: the last two series I watched and enjoyed were The Wire and Breaking Bad.

However, one mustn't look at it through the rose tints: there was a lot of dross on TV in the good ol' days too.

But of the actors you really like in the wire...How many are American?

HOLA4411

To be fair there was a huge amount of utter garbage too.

There was something a lot more straightforward and honest about old productions.. content today is far too obsessed with PC themes and dumbed down content.

I rarely flick through iplayer and find anything that doesn't broadly match the above description. Just feels patronising and a total turn off.

The only exception being horizon which is sometimes very interesting and things like HIGNFY in occasional small doses.

I wish the BBC would do more of what they did best.. really good documentaries. The only one I remember recently that they really did well was the arctic convoy one by Clarkson.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

You have obviously never met Miss Daphne Tardisbeaver!

Dr Who's remarkably capacious new assistant? I think you should write for the BBC and make Dr.Who more filthy!

HOLA4414

I would suggest, Mr Libspero, looking through the BBC 3, BBC 4, and Ch 4 schedules for your catch up TV. Or YouTube for vintage stuff.

Few of the programmes that I want to watch make it onto the front page / most watched so I need to spend five minutes digging for something decent.

It is the big joy of not having a TV - you put the effort into finding something that you actually want to watch. Not just what's on.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

....would rather read a book...or go for a walk and meet real reality, news and drama. ;)

Take your blue pill and plug back in! :blink:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I would suggest, Mr Libspero, looking through the BBC 3, BBC 4, and Ch 4 schedules for your catch up TV. Or YouTube for vintage stuff.

Few of the programmes that I want to watch make it onto the front page / most watched so I need to spend five minutes digging for something decent.

I must admit I rarely bother searching past the opening page on their app.

I usually flick through, see nothing of interest and just dig up something I know on YouTube.

Recently dad's army and the new statesman. Each to their own I guess.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

A lot of the Anderson theme tunes were stonkingly epic. Stingray, Fireball XL5, and especially Thunderbirds

The sad part is that, in those days, we could actually believe people would be living on the Moon in 1980. Now we can't really believe they'll be living there in 2080.

Watched this series on Youtube a while ago, as the BBC seem determined not to release it on DVD. Parts of it are hilarious.

Archived