House Price Crash Forum

Outrageous Couriers / Parcel Delivery Quotations

Fed_Up

HOLA441

Long story short, I put in a commission bid with an auction house in Glasgow, about 200 miles away. It's a framed picture, so admittedly not the easiest thing to post.

However, the quotations I've been getting are ridiculous, ranging from £70 to £246!

If I were sending it, I could get it done for around £10-20 so what's going on? Is it routine to treat people like mugs and try to rinse them for hundreds of pounds for a bit of cardboard, bubble wrap and a trip to the post office?

It would cost me about £40 in petrol and 7 hours if I went to pick it up myself. I can spare the time but it's a bit of a ballache.

P.S. if anyone can recommend a courier I'm all ears.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Thanks, but none of those will work for me, since the picture needs packing and the auction house won't do that.

A quote for £70 seems reasonable although I'd still balk at the cost.

The courier needs to go to the auction house, pack it carefully, arrange for dispatch. Could be 1hours work min + freight and material costs + overheads.

What is the percentage of the carriage vs the value of the painting? If the painting is just £35 I wouldn't have bought it considering, unless for a very special reason.

HOLA445
HOLA446

A quote for £70 seems reasonable although I'd still balk at the cost.

The courier needs to go to the auction house, pack it carefully, arrange for dispatch. Could be 1hours work min + freight and material costs + overheads.

What is the percentage of the carriage vs the value of the painting? If the painting is just £35 I wouldn't have bought it considering, unless for a very special reason.

I paid about £70 including commission.

I'd feel really guilty about charging someone £70 to put something in a box and take it to the post office, but maybe that's just me!

HOLA447

I'd feel really guilty about charging someone £70 to put something in a box and take it to the post office, but maybe that's just me!

But your not trying to pay a mortgage by putting things in boxes :-)

Like you I'd recoil at the cost, which would have stopped me buying unless it was really special. The carriage would have to be much less than the purchase price for me to make the purchase economic sense or worthwhile, so in this case the item would have to be worth much much more.

What would your hourly rate be ? Bear in mind you have to fund your salary (time), the van (or your shoe leather), the box, the bubble wrap, the postage, and have profit.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Well you said that driving all the way there would be a ballache.

Maybe its a ballache for someone else to pack up the stuff and take it to the post office and arrange for it to be shipped. Which is why they want paying for it.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Surely there must be someone who passes the Glasgow aution house regulary who would be happy to call in and pack and post it for you for cost...on trust no claims. ;)

There is a website for this, I was reading in the paper about a bloke making ?£200 a month by picking up deliveries that coincided with his business travel.

My worst experience was buying a kayak; I was looking at ones in two different local shops. One c. 5 miles away and one c. 20 miles away, paying about £300 / £350 for the kayak.

The one 5 miles away was a young lad who didn't know, went and asked and said £100!!!! So would recommend I buy some roof bars and straps as it would be cheaper.

The one 20 miles away said a tenner. I bought one there as a result.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Ask the auction house who they recommend? £70 isn't that outrageous. If the picture has glass, it'll need packing very carefully and depending on the size it might not be inside some courier's size limits.

Whatever you do - do not have Parcelforce aka Senditnow pick it up as they appear to have gone to absolute shite in the space of a few months. I paid for next day delivery, and they did not even attempt to deliver it until 4 working days later.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

£70 sounds pretty fair to me considering it needs wrapping as well.

The products I sell take me 3 hours to wrap properly, very large boxes, loads of packing and then I have to pay another £20 for UPS to collect and deliver.

I know the SNP are popular but there can't be that much demand for life size statues of Sturgeon !!

HOLA4419

I know the SNP are popular but there can't be that much demand for life size statues of Sturgeon !!

You'd be surprised. I do a not bad trade in wee eck statues as well. They are more expensive though due to needing more material to work with plus the higher postal costs.

HOLA4420

I go to quite a lot of auctions and you get sick of internet bidders bumping up the prices.

I would consider this an expensive lesson learned.

You would have to be insane to buy such a low valued item that is awkward to ship.

The Auction house will charge you 20-25% buyers premium plus 3% for using the internet bidding and then shipping on top of all of that.

Also they will most probably slap on another 2-3% if you pay by credit card!

HOLA4421

I finally managed to sell that turntable. Original packaging, all boxed as new.

The eventual buyer collected, but two shipping quotes for the 7.2KG box from Hampshire:

King's Lynn: £21

Denmark: £75

There's a used vinyl website that I buy from quite often. One 12" single or LP might be a couple of pounds, some more. Some a lot more (hundreds of pounds, a couple of rare Eva Cassidy and Kate Bush LPs I want but can't justify buying go for £200+).

It's not supposed to be a full ecommerce site, it's more an introducer. So it doesn't calculate shipping, "agree later". And a £3 12" single can mysteriously cost £6 to ship within the UK (you can reject that "quote").

Probably about half of what I buy is from elsewhere in Europe, shipping is same or less, takes about two extra days.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

But your not trying to pay a mortgage by putting things in boxes :-)

Like you I'd recoil at the cost, which would have stopped me buying unless it was really special. The carriage would have to be much less than the purchase price for me to make the purchase economic sense or worthwhile, so in this case the item would have to be worth much much more.

What would your hourly rate be ? Bear in mind you have to fund your salary (time), the van (or your shoe leather), the box, the bubble wrap, the postage, and have profit.

ah yes, funding a living...a major weakness which means I cant watch the idiots on Apprentice and the "Board" look at the "profits" on the tasks.

Theres the phones, the cabs, the wages, the office, the drivers, the stock, the bank charges, the insurance, the contingencies...

"wow, 6 of you made £180 today".....Thats £30 each for a day that starts at 6, needs a pressed suit and a 8 pm Board meeting.

Archived