House Price Crash Forum

Should Canabis Be Legalised?

Jason

HOLA441

Tried it a couple of times as a student (nearly 20 years ago) - couldn't see what the fuss was about. Each to their own, I guess. I've since seen people hooked on this stuff, allowing it to become the focus of their life, unable to sleep or turning bad-tempered when they try to stop, suddenly interested in reggae or "dub step" and becoming cursed with a ferocious appetite for Pringles.

Yes, it's probably no worse than booze and fags, and I consider myself to be a liberal. But the older I get the less liberal I am on this issue.

To be honest it's not cannabis per se that I have an issue with; it's the type of people who smoke it.

chav-42885.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Someone voted 'no' though! Who and why?

I voted 'no'. I spent years in the NHS working in a psychiatric hospital. The damage to mental health attributable to cannabis use costs the NHS millions every year.

Much better to use its good properties to help MS and arthritis sufferers and keep it illegal to use otherwise. The NHS is enough trouble without dealing with the extended MH problems that legalisation would engender.

HOLA444

I lived in a shared houses years ago and there were a couple of stoners there.

They completely ******ed their lives up due to their lack of motivation, paranoia and depression. All which was brought on by heavy cannabis use. As other posters have noticed they were extremely boring and repetitive people to talk to as well.

It's the denial which surprises me. I found one of them crying his eyes out because of how bad his life was. I tried to point out that maybe it was his heavy cannabis use that was causing many of his problems but nope he wouldn't have it, weed was sacrosanct in his eyes.

And there is a religious aspect of cannabis among really heavy users. I had one guy say, “Weed is a gift from God, I've read the passage in the Bible about Jesus feeding people, but I don't believe it was food but weed!” and “The Elite doesn't want us to use weed because they don't want us to be able connect to God”... And he really believed all this crap. Given his very high levels of paranoid thoughts (his family were out to get him, people stalking him etc.) I wouldn't be surprise if he's ended up sectioned.

So why did I vote “Yes”?

Because the current laws aren't working. I don't take drugs, nor do any of my close friends.. yet despite this I know of two weed dealers and one weed/cocaine dealer within 30minutes walk of my flat. If I was to get involved that scene I'm quite sure I'd be able to find many more.

Under the current system, cannabis is illegal but also widely available – surely the worst of both worlds? If a 14-year-old wanted to get hold of some weed there is nothing stopping them – If it was legalised, then we'll be able to tax it, put age restrictions on its use and regulate its strength so some of the stronger varieties aren't available.

I suspect if we make Cannabis uncool in the way Tobacco has become, we might start seeing its usage fall.

HOLA445

The insidious nature of marijuana means that when used regularly, your "baseline" actually shifts. However you won't know that has happened until you stop using it for a period during which you may experience, for example, night sweats, psychosis, paranoia, anxiety and confusion. The withdrawal symptoms vary from person to person and appear to be related to aspects such as metabolism and weight.

I gave up after many years of daily use

I suffered none of the above ,the only problem i had was sleeping, oh and dreaming in HD when i eventually got to sleep , this lasted for about two to three weeks the dreaming bit is very common

HOLA446

I voted 'no'. I spent years in the NHS working in a psychiatric hospital. The damage to mental health attributable to cannabis use costs the NHS millions every year.

Much better to use its good properties to help MS and arthritis sufferers and keep it illegal to use otherwise. The NHS is enough trouble without dealing with the extended MH problems that legalisation would engender.

Amsterdam found the number of people using it dropped when they legalised it ....it`s the forbidden fruit taste better theory that attracts the youngsters aparently

HOLA447

I smoked my **** off for many years! ALL my friends had mental heath problems! I'm normal now! -_- I didn't have any more "mental health problems" when I started, from when I stopped!

HOLA448
HOLA449

I did not vote.....like everything, excess and abuse of anything is bad.....like banning hand held mobile phones it is unenforceable.....people are free agents, they are born to make choices....not all choices are good choices. ;)

HOLA4410

I lived in a shared houses years ago and there were a couple of stoners there.

They completely ******ed their lives up due to their lack of motivation, paranoia and depression. All which was brought on by heavy cannabis use. As other posters have noticed they were extremely boring and repetitive people to talk to as well.

It's the denial which surprises me. I found one of them crying his eyes out because of how bad his life was. I tried to point out that maybe it was his heavy cannabis use that was causing many of his problems but nope he wouldn't have it, weed was sacrosanct in his eyes.

And there is a religious aspect of cannabis among really heavy users. I had one guy say, “Weed is a gift from God, I've read the passage in the Bible about Jesus feeding people, but I don't believe it was food but weed!” and “The Elite doesn't want us to use weed because they don't want us to be able connect to God”... And he really believed all this crap. Given his very high levels of paranoid thoughts (his family were out to get him, people stalking him etc.) I wouldn't be surprise if he's ended up sectioned.

So why did I vote “Yes”?

Because the current laws aren't working. I don't take drugs, nor do any of my close friends.. yet despite this I know of two weed dealers and one weed/cocaine dealer within 30minutes walk of my flat. If I was to get involved that scene I'm quite sure I'd be able to find many more.

Under the current system, cannabis is illegal but also widely available – surely the worst of both worlds? If a 14-year-old wanted to get hold of some weed there is nothing stopping them – If it was legalised, then we'll be able to tax it, put age restrictions on its use and regulate its strength so some of the stronger varieties aren't available.

I suspect if we make Cannabis uncool in the way Tobacco has become, we might start seeing its usage fall.

I think we've got to touch down with reality here.

common sense says, ok it's probably safer than alcohol for a night out, but the effects of intoxication last longer..so if you were planning on getting behind the wheel for social,domestic,pleasure or commercial purposes the day after you are putting other peoples lives in jeopardy because your own perception is not as sharp as it should be.

no real problem with medicalisation of it for stuff like MS/parkinsons symptoms,but we do need to be sensible with regard to recreational use.

HOLA4411

Amsterdam found the number of people using it dropped when they legalised it ....it`s the forbidden fruit taste better theory that attracts the youngsters aparently

That's certainly true.

can't beat that "crafty fag behind the bike-shed's" feeling.

HOLA4412

I wouldn't watch this if I were you.

See what I did there?

;)

It causes you to come up with a barely passable cover of one of the best rap songs ever (Geto Boys, Damn it Feels Good to Be a Gangsta)

Alcohol is a social drug.

Marijuana works better as a private experience or where a group of you are for instance watching a DVD.

i think that probably depends on the company.

i would probably take it as a given though that the possibility of fights breaking out is probably somewhat restricted, other than for who has to go down to the shop and pick up some more mini pepperoni pizzas,some marmite,a gallon of chocolate milk and a large packet of jelly tots. :P

HOLA4413

i think that probably depends on the company.

i would probably take it as a given though that the possibility of fights breaking out is probably somewhat restricted, other than for who has to go down to the shop and pick up some more mini pepperoni pizzas,some marmite,a gallon of chocolate milk and a large packet of jelly tots. :P

That would never happen the hungriest always crack before it gets to that point

HOLA4414

Along with other's comments, all the stoners I know have very similar emphasis, cadence and manner of speaking, it's bizarre. They don't know each other.

Legalize it, I still don't want to do it or hang out with stoners.

HOLA4415

I voted for legalisation. I agree with all of the negatives mentioned already in this thread, but I do feel that most of them are at the very least exacerbated by prohibition itself. As long as it remains illegal, then there's better bang for buck and a more favourable risk reward ratio in the stronger stuff. To use alcohol as a comparison, it would be like having only spirits and fortified wines available on the shelves and then wondering why so many people suffered ill effects from drinking.

I think if it were legalised we would rapidly see a return of the old school, weaker stuff. I read an article a little while back about a guy whose job is to analyse the cannabinoid content of various strains for medicinal purposes. He said he is constantly deluged with emails from moms n' pops who want to recapture a bit of their youth but are horrified by the strength of the stuff they have to buy today.

I'm not saying that all the negative effects are down to this, but I think it definitely plays a significant part.

HOLA4416

I think if it were legalised we would rapidly see a return of the old school, weaker stuff.

Just like you can choose to drink stronger or weaker beers/spirits etc?

Legalise/regulate it, transfer the income/profit from the black market to the public purse.

What were the reasons the various American states used when deciding to decriminalise it? Can anyone summarise?

HOLA4417

To be honest it's not cannabis per se that I have an issue with; it's the type of people who smoke it.

chav-42885.jpg

I think that's a bit of a stereotype. I suspect that 'poor people' (look at the judgement I just made there) have more to escape from than some others. And weed is escapism of the highest calibre. With weed, everything will "wait until tomorrow". Used daily, "tomorrow" can be ten years away.

I also suspect that if you were to analyse the demographic of weed users across social groups, you *may* find it's more prevalent in the lower social groups, but only "may". I believe I'm right in saying that the percentage of the population who indulge regularly is around 12%.

HOLA4418

And there is a religious aspect of cannabis among really heavy users. I had one guy say, Weed is a gift from God, I've read the passage in the Bible about Jesus feeding people, but I don't believe it was food but weed! and The Elite doesn't want us to use weed because they don't want us to be able connect to God... And he really believed all this crap. Given his very high levels of paranoid thoughts (his family were out to get him, people stalking him etc.) I wouldn't be surprise if he's ended up sectioned.

I suspect that you were correct. Heavy weed usage modifies your "baseline" as I posted. It actually changes how you think.

This does go away when you stop using it. However stopping using it abruptly causes a "snapback" effect. All the things you are actually stressed about but which have been suppressed by the drug suddenly reassert themselves, along with some other physical symptoms.

I gave up after many years of daily use

I suffered none of the above ,the only problem i had was sleeping, oh and dreaming in HD when i eventually got to sleep , this lasted for about two to three weeks the dreaming bit is very common

It really varies by person. From what I have read (and a few will probably have observed this is more than what I have read), thin people with fast metabolisms suffer more. Perhaps because, and this part is important:

Most recreational drugs are excreted from the body rapidly. Marijuana, or more accurately, THC, is stored by the body in the same way as food - in the fat cells. It leaves the blood stream within a few days, but the chemical stays around in the body for a while (and this is the cause of the sweating - the body is trying to push it out like a fever).

Vivid dreams (or nightmares) are common, probably due to the brain not being able to fall into normal delta sleep - the active mind is agitated. This can be reproduced by having a couple of strong cups of coffee when knackered, and then sleeping, or trying to. The active mind is too stimulated to fully let go. In those situations, a feeling of paralysis and terror can happen.

It is not "normal" for the active to observe the sub-conscious in this way. To be both awake and asleep at the same time. Actually, it's because you're not really asleep. I had an out of body experience once when in trace (under hypnosis, totally sober) and I think that what happened was that my brain recorded a dream as fact because the trance state is essentially holding yourself on the exact threshold between waking and sleeping.

The side effects of withdrawal with heavy use are enough for long term users to genuinely believe that they can only exist with the drug. Or, that the drug "makes them better". It is because they have actually forgotten "who they are".

People with psychological difficulties, most especially, a disposition to schizophrenia, really need to avoid weed altogether, or in later life they may find themselves as one of the patients BossyBabe alludes to.

HOLA4419
Christina Sanchez, a molecular biologist from Compultense University in Madrid, Spain, has been studying the molecular activity of cannabinoids for more than 10 years, and during this time she and her colleagues have learned that tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the primary psychoactive component of cannabis, induces tumor cell "suicide" while leaving healthy cells alone.

This amazing discovery was somewhat unexpected, as Sanchez and her team had initially been studying brain cancer cells for the purpose of better understanding how they function. But in the process, they observed that, when exposed to THC, tumoral cells not only ceased to multiply and proliferate but also destroyed themselves, both in lab tests and animal trials. Sanchez first reported on this back in 1998, publishing a paper on the anti-cancer effects of THC in the European biochemistry journal FEBS Letters.

http://www.naturalnews.com/048913_cannabis_cancer_treatment_herbal_medicine.html

Looks like THC will kill the mega profits of the cancer poisons industry...

More in this video:

https://vimeo.com/83094404

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Just like you can choose to drink stronger or weaker beers/spirits etc?

Legalise/regulate it, transfer the income/profit from the black market to the public purse.

What were the reasons the various American states used when deciding to decriminalise it? Can anyone summarise?

Yes, exactly. There will always market for the real strong stuff, but at least if people have the choice, I think quite a few would prefer the weaker stuff, or perhaps moderate their use of skunk.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

http://www.naturalnews.com/048913_cannabis_cancer_treatment_herbal_medicine.html

Looks like THC will kill the mega profits of the cancer poisons industry...

More in this video:

https://vimeo.com/83094404

This has been known for a long time(the effect on cancer cells) ,it`s reckoned this is the main reason for the hypocritical stance the USA have when it comes to medical research concerning cannabis

( it`s all about proving how bad it is ) ,and the governing bodies will no grant licences to the major universities allowing them to research the medical use/potential

It has always been about money and lobbyist first it was the textile/paper industries now its the pharmaceutical industries

HOLA4424

Well going buy all the propaganda in the MSM of late,concerning cannabis it was becoming obvious an oposition party was going to have a soft stance on drugs in their manifesto and the winner is ..........team yellow http://www.libdems.org.uk/the-time-for-action-on-drugs-reform-is-now#

• Adopting the approach used in Portugal, where those arrested for possession of drugs for personal use are diverted into treatment, education or civil penalties that do not attract a criminal record.
  • Legislating to end the use of imprisonment for possession of drugs for personal use, diverting resources towards tackling organised drug crime instead, as a first step towards reforming the system.
  • Continuing to apply severe penalties to those who manufacture, import or deal in illegal drugs, and clamp down on those who produce and sell unregulated chemical highs.
  • Establishing a review to assess the effectiveness of the cannabis legalisation experiments in the United States and Uruguay, in relation to public health and criminal activity.
  • Legislating to make the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs independent in setting the classification of drugs, while remaining accountable to Parliament and the wider public.
  • Enabling doctors to prescribe cannabis for medicinal use.
  • Putting the Department of Health rather than the Home Office in charge of drug policy.

HOLA4425

I think a lot of people find it mildly relaxing! I have tried it and it is OK! But I prefer amphetamines and acid, and a 2-stroke mix for my chainsaw! Now that's what I call a "Party"! What happened to Ken?

Archived