House Price Crash Forum

Razor Blades

reddog

HOLA441

I believe Edwin Jagger razors share the same head as the Muhle R89 I mentioned above. A good choice in my experience.

Have an Edwin Jagger razor and started off with derby blades....good for double edge shaving novices.

I then moved onto Japanese FEATHER "ninja sharp" blades. These are next level.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Have an Edwin Jagger razor and started off with derby blades....good for double edge shaving novices.

I then moved onto Japanese FEATHER "ninja sharp" blades. These are next level.

My experience with Derbys was that they're capable of being good blades but the quality was inconsistent from blade to blade. The Astra Platinums I use now are more consistent and allegedly aren't quite as sharp as Feathers but up there. I've never tried Feathers and feel inspired to give a pack a go.

Fwiw I'd use safety-razors even if they worked out more expensive than cartridge razors. The process of shaving with safety-razors is, for me anyway, more enjoyable and I just don't suffer from the ingrown hairs I endured with multi-blade razors.Working in environments where being unshaven was a no-no, having to shave every day was an unpleasant and messy experience. Running a razor over a lumpy rash doesn't look good or feel good.

2lne9fq.jpg

Yes, there is the option of growing a beard but if you've got the kind of curly facial fair that's prone to growing back in you'll end up with the big frizzy rabbi/ mullah look.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I sufferred from ingrowns for years. I now use the 'kyle prep' (see badger and blade forum) with Supermax shave lather from Savers and finish with cold water then a salicylic / glycolic acid alcohol balm made for bikini waxing :) to balance out the alkali soap. Blade wise I use the Fusion pro-glide but hold it with a very light touch to apply no pressure and let weight of the razor cut. I have a Merkur HD but I cannot shave my neck with that due to poor technique angle.

I agree the fusion pro-glides are expensive and last ok for me but are crap for lip area and side burns. However, most catridge razors are light and eazy to press down causing razor burn and ingrowns. Considering taking the power version of the fusion and chucking a weight in the battery compartment. The vibrate function was useless!

HOLA446
HOLA447

My experience with Derbys was that they're capable of being good blades but the quality was inconsistent from blade to blade. The Astra Platinums I use now are more consistent and allegedly aren't quite as sharp as Feathers but up there.

Derbys are inconsistent and you do come across the odd duff one from time to time. They're so cheap though that you can chuck it and use a new one.

Feathers are sharp and you do need to be less aggressive. I got cut a lot the first time I used them.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I'm lucky enough to only have to shave once a week. I've had a heavy beard since I was 15, but I have sensitive skin and can't really shave daily without risking my face flaking off.

So since nobody cares if I'm a bit stubbly, I get the Wahl out weekly and shave my bald bonce (number 0, the shorter it is, the less obvious that I went bald very young) and once I'm done I run it over my face to take the worst of the stubble off. Then it's a bar of shaving soap from Savers that I bought about 18 months ago for 69p and which is about 10% used, and a badger hair brush from ebay for 6 quid. It feels a bit cheap but does the job. And as for the actual razor- Tesco Value disposables, 25p for five. They're twin bladed (I've never had any joy with Bic-type single blades) and they're good as long as you take short strokes and keep de-clogging them under the tap. I can get 5-6 shaves out of them by stropping them on my palm.

I shave before getting into the shower, then while I'm washing my face I note any rough areas and spend 2-3 minutes going over them again. I very rarely get out with noticeable cuts.

HOLA4410

I thought that most people got given Gilette sets as a birthday or Christmas "stocking filler" type gift, appreciated using them, and then looked at the cost of replacement blades in the supermarket and opted to go back to the 15-a-pack-for-99p type affairs.

Now I realise it's probably just us.

HOLA4411

I thought that most people got given Gilette sets as a birthday or Christmas "stocking filler" type gift, appreciated using them, and then looked at the cost of replacement blades in the supermarket and opted to go back to the 15-a-pack-for-99p type affairs.

Lots of products like that, for example; electric toothbrushes where the replacement heads (required every 3 to 6 months) cost ~£25 or printers where the refills cost more than the printer cost over a period of 12 months.....

15 for 99p is as good as any.....I found hair conditioner makes a good shaving style foam. ;)

HOLA4412

Lots of products like that, for example; electric toothbrushes where the replacement heads (required every 3 to 6 months) cost ~£25 or printers where the refills cost more than the printer cost over a period of 12 months.....

15 for 99p is as good as any.....I found hair conditioner makes a good shaving style foam. ;)

:blink:

Pictures please Ms Winkie! Or we won't believe it!

HOLA4413

I think so.

Unusually for HPC gentlemen shaving engenders a craving for quality. Unlike, say, a gold mobile phone cover which works no better than a Poundland one a decent razor and blades, good badger brush and shaving soap are a vast improvement over your basic plastic fixed head razor and some gel.

The whole experience is enhanced, the shave is better, and what a great way to set you you up for the day.

I am moving along the road piecemeal. I have the badger brush and, once I have used my existing supply of cartridges from Lidl (which are great) I am moving to a safety razor, I bought a basic one from Boots as a starter, as from speaking to people who have switched the shave is better once you have become proficient in it. I am preparing for some nicks during the learning stages and have a styptic pencil ready and waiting.

HOLA4414

My experience of cheap cartridges (bics) are that they are too light in weight and not very sharp thick blades so I just increase pressure to get an uncomfortable shave. Then again I have a tough beard. I may try a sharper blade in my DE as the fusion proglides are very pricey.

HOLA4415

I think so.

Unusually for HPC gentlemen shaving engenders a craving for quality. Unlike, say, a gold mobile phone cover which works no better than a Poundland one a decent razor and blades, good badger brush and shaving soap are a vast improvement over your basic plastic fixed head razor and some gel.

The whole experience is enhanced, the shave is better, and what a great way to set you you up for the day.

I am moving along the road piecemeal. I have the badger brush and, once I have used my existing supply of cartridges from Lidl (which are great) I am moving to a safety razor, I bought a basic one from Boots as a starter, as from speaking to people who have switched the shave is better once you have become proficient in it. I am preparing for some nicks during the learning stages and have a styptic pencil ready and waiting.

I haven't had a "safety" razor for some time! I had one, I shave with a gas welder now Frank!

HOLA4416

I haven't had a "safety" razor for some time! I had one, I shave with a gas welder now Frank!

I was assuming that you tossed an axe into the air of a morning up on Brent Knoll and ran under it as it fell, removing your stubble with the axe's glancing blows Mr Pin.

Just a common gas welder eh, you disappoint me :(

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Surprised how many people use soap..

Use brand X cartridges, shave in the shower with no soap and no mirror.

Works fine for me ;-)

Yep.

I think most problems I've seen on this thread are down to the fact that people are doing it wrong. The soap is only a lubricant and the brush is only a way to coat the hairs. If you shave in a hot shower the steam naturally softens the hair and opens the pores, no soap required and you can shave with pretty much anything.

Personally I use Gillette fusion, but only because I like the ergonomics of the handle and the shape of the cartridge.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Yep.

I think most problems I've seen on this thread are down to the fact that people are doing it wrong. The soap is only a lubricant and the brush is only a way to coat the hairs. If you shave in a hot shower the steam naturally softens the hair and opens the pores, no soap required and you can shave with pretty much anything.

Personally I use Gillette fusion, but only because I like the ergonomics of the handle and the shape of the cartridge.

Yes, you can shave without soap or gel and, personally, I found gel no better than wetting my face with soapy water. Though after working through most of the permutations of shaving routine I could think of, I concluded that I prefer using a brush and soap. That's just me though and I can sleep easy knowing that others' mileage may vary.

My understanding is that shaving burn and ingrown hairs aren't usually down to the lubrication used, or not used. The problems are largely due to multiple blade razors cutting the hair below skin level, encouraging ingrown hairs, and using too much pressure with light, placcy razors.

In my experience if you are prone to ingrown hairs no, you can't shave with pretty much anything and get similar results. Switching from lightweight multiple-bladed razors to single bladed razors made a huge difference.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I am astonished at the flagrant wastefulness displayed by hpc-man on this thread!

I use whatever supermarket/discount double-blade disposable is cheapest. And I just rub a bar of (cheap) soap on my face and rub a bit for lather. The razors last *months* before I feel the need to ditch it for a new one.

For the avoidance of doubt, I shave at least once every day (except weekends)- and have proper man-growth not girly bum-fluff.

Maybe it's technique. I read an news article recently (can't find the link) saying that a big % of blokes do it wrong; shaving against the grain and getting into all sorts of skin problems and rashes.

HOLA4423

I am also going to try a Double Edged razor, ordered the Merkur 34c seemed to be the must popular and respected starter razor when I did a bit of googling.

Not something I was thinking of when I started this thread - damm the rampant HPC consumers!! (but like I said at the start, I don't mind spending money, I just don't like getting ripped off)

I am seeing this more of a weekend project, as despite all of the rave reviews, I think there is a good chance I will cut half of my face off when I first use this thing!

HOLA4424

Well I'm going to try a safety razor, I have been useing a gillette GII for donkeys years.

Is the Múhle R89 a good razor to start with?

That or an Edwin Jagger DE89. Almost identical head, similar in other ways, slightly cheaper.

The Merkur 34c HD is slightly heavier and has a slightly shorter handle which can seem somehow not right when you first use it, but it's short for a reason which will become clear as you get the hang of using it. I reckon the Merkur would be slightly trickier to master than the Muhle or the Edwin Jaggger but not much and it's a good choice also.

Cost-wise, as long as you don't go overboard collecting razors, exotic soaps, creams and brushes it'll work out cheaper than cartridge shaving. Not necessarily cheaper than splashing water on your face, then going in with a Bic disposable you nurse for 3-4 months. All due respect to those who do. I engage in some fairly epic feats of frugality in other areas, just not this particular field of human endeavour.

It'd be interesting if anyone picking up a safety razor off the back of this thread came back at some point and indicated thumbs up or thumbs down for faddish nonsense or not.

HOLA4425

Archived