House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddog

Razor Blades

Not sure if some sort of Mens Health forum would be better to post this but here goes.

I currently use Kings of Shave Azor razor blades, but I am getting a bit annoyed with them, as they are no longer selling the blades I use in Boots any more, and also because I am not sure there blades are that great for the money.

Thinking of changing to Gillette Fusion, which I am sure will be very good, but their blades are just such a complete rip off for a piece of metal encased in plastic.

I have tried other manufacturers in the past and it is quite surprising how rubbish some of them can be (surely we should have cracked this technology by now??!!)

Anyone got any good suggestions or should I just go with Gillette (obviously I can afford Gillette, it is more of the principal that I don't like getting ripped off).

PS I don't want to use an Electric Razor

Parker double edged razor <£20

100 Derby Extra double edged blades £8.50

Assuming one week per edge, that's 4 years of shaves for less than 30 quid.

You're right. Cartridge blades are a rip-off.

Parker double edged razor <£20

100 Derby Extra double edged blades £8.50

Assuming one week per edge, that's 4 years of shaves for less than 30 quid.

You're right. Cartridge blades are a rip-off.

Yes, yes they are

My set-up...

Muhle R89 or a Merkur 34c (I have, and am happy with, both) c.£25

100 Astra Platinums with a compo stick of shaving soap, currently eight quid, delivered, on ebay

For most of my adult life I suffered from ingrown hairs and zits off of using cartridge razors. As soon as I switched to safety razors they stopped being an issue, overnight.

Yes the Gillette cartridge products are a rip off, they are simply harvesting non-thinking men's spare cash.

This has motivated many to go back to (arguably) simpler times.

See:

http://straightrazorplace.com/forum.php

I've not gone back to straights, but I do use a double edge Edwin Jagger, with Wilkinson blades and Floris soap with badger brush (or similar). On holiday recently I took a fusion blade with Gillette gel, and the experience was unsatisfactory, to say the least. It was lacking.

Don't forget shaving is your time, without interruption - use it wisely.

Yes the Gillette cartridge products are a rip off, they are simply harvesting non-thinking men's spare cash.

This has motivated many to go back to (arguably) simpler times.

See:

http://straightrazorplace.com/forum.php

I've not gone back to straights, but I do use a double edge Edwin Jagger, with Wilkinson blades and Floris soap with badger brush (or similar). On holiday recently I took a fusion blade with Gillette gel, and the experience was unsatisfactory, to say the least. It was lacking.

Don't forget shaving is your time, without interruption - use it wisely.

I believe Edwin Jagger razors share the same head as the Muhle R89 I mentioned above. A good choice in my experience.

2 interesting answers, I must admit I was expecting the suggestions to be cartridge based razors.

The idea of using a "proper" razor blade does appeal, particularly as I like obscure (but high quality) British and German manufactures, rather than main stream stuff (although to be fair, often there is a reason that mainstream became mainstream).

A few questions though:

-Can these blades really shave as close as the latest super dumper innovation from Gillette (must admit I am a little sceptical)

-Aren't you more likely to get cut?

-Why are you suggesting shaving soap? (I am pretty happy with my existing 99p Boots Sensative skin shaving gel)

I used to use Gillette but found them too expensive for what they were. I also suffered bad skin irritation with them, I thought this just a consequence of having sensitive skin but since swapping over to double-edge razors it is much reduced.

My set-up:

Edwin Jagger DE87 Razor, around £22.

Red Personna Razor blades, which cost around £17 for 200 (1 a week, so almost 4 years)

Omega Boar brush

Currently using Valobra shaving soap, which is quite expensive so a bit self-indulgent.

There are many razor blades on the market and different people's skin reacts quite differently to them; I have tried Derby blades which are popular on the various shaving forums but personally I found them terrible.

If you do decide to go the traditional wet shaving route I suggest buying one of the blade sample packs so you can find a blade that suits you best. www.connaughtshaving.com shaving does some good packs and they've been reliable whenever I've used them.

2 interesting answers, I must admit I was expecting the suggestions to be cartridge based razors.

The idea of using a "proper" razor blade does appeal, particularly as I like obscure (but high quality) British and German manufactures, rather than main stream stuff (although to be fair, often there is a reason that mainstream became mainstream).

A few questions though:

-Can these blades really shave as close as the latest super dumper innovation from Gillette (must admit I am a little sceptical)

-Why are you suggesting shaving soap? (I am pretty happy with my existing 99p Boots Sensative skin shaving gel)

Safety/ Double-Edged give a better shave in my experience. I find them less harsh than scraping away at my face with multiple blades

The downside is that it does take longer, though as already alluded to above, it's not necessarily a downside if you find yourself enjoying the process. You do have to be more careful though but once you get the hang of it, cuts are rare. Safety razors come in different flavours and can have moderate or aggressive heads. I believe that none of the razors mentioned by posters above are aggressive.

Safety razors work best with a decent soapy lather and that means soap and a brush. You can spend a fair bit on quality brushes and soap but I quite like the smell of Turkish barbers and go for this stuff, less than a quid a stick, lasts for ever...

2jd2yxc.jpg

though some people reckon it smells like urinal blocks

German razor, Russian blades, Turkish soap

I have no body hair! I have no use for it!

I use Wilkinson Sword Protector 3. One replacement blade easily lasts me 3 months, and so a pack of blades over 1 year.

I shave every workday morning and could grow a decent beard.

Keep the blades clean and if the blade starts to feel dull just run it in a reverse direction on the underside of your forearm for a few strokes.

That's cheap enough for me.

I believe Edwin Jagger razors share the same head as the Muhle R89 I mentioned above. A good choice in my experience.

Yes, I think this is right - it was a blatant copy with due respect to the original. If anything the EJ is more forgiving though, from what I've read. Edwin Jagger is a small but impressive British manufacturing success story, I actually quite envy the man who started it.

DE is closer in my experience, once you get the technique correct. I think this is what puts people off, it does have a bit of a learning curve and the shave does take a little longer.

I've cut myself more with a Gillette cartridge then with my DE razor. The only time I've cut myself badly with a DE razor was when I come back a bit tipsy from the pub and decided I need a late night shave. Stupidly on my part!

I find my skin reacts better to soap, and they feel less chemically. I also think that DE razors work better with soap however I think you're going to get a lot of different answers to this one.

How do you trap your scent?

I soil my underpants, and wear them for a week!

I don't have a lot of beard, and would rather I had none. Shaving is rubbish, and I use the cheapest throw away razors I can get! One of my mates can get a "Captain Haddock" beard in a week, but I cannot!

Eau de Pin...

**Shudders**

You can't bottle beauty! However, I can let you have a bottle of my excrement!

Lidl triple blades for me, cheap and shave about as well as a gilette.

Tesco own brand twin blades do the job and are so cheap you could use a new one every day.

Not sure if some sort of Mens Health forum would be better to post this but here goes.

I currently use Kings of Shave Azor razor blades, but I am getting a bit annoyed with them, as they are no longer selling the blades I use in Boots any more, and also because I am not sure there blades are that great for the money.

Thinking of changing to Gillette Fusion, which I am sure will be very good, but their blades are just such a complete rip off for a piece of metal encased in plastic.

I have tried other manufacturers in the past and it is quite surprising how rubbish some of them can be (surely we should have cracked this technology by now??!!)

Anyone got any good suggestions or should I just go with Gillette (obviously I can afford Gillette, it is more of the principal that I don't like getting ripped off).

PS I don't want to use an Electric Razor

Just get a cut throat (last foreveeer) or failing that a triple blade - will last a year (reuse reuse reuse)

Aside from shaving always remember: straight for suicide; perpendicular for cry for help.

... or failing that a triple blade - will last a year (reuse reuse reuse)

yes, i have recently discovered the longevity of Mach 3 blades, which I used to routinely discard soon after the lubristrip wore away.

Since I haven't been able to find any cheap ones recently, I've been re-using one of my old ones for a good further 3 months (face and head!) and it shows no sign of blunting yet.

i'm kicking myself now for all the ones I prematurely discarded in the past.

Have an Edwin Jagger razor and started off with derby blades....good for double edge shaving novices.

I then moved onto Japanese FEATHER "ninja sharp" blades. These are next level.

Have an Edwin Jagger razor and started off with derby blades....good for double edge shaving novices.

I then moved onto Japanese FEATHER "ninja sharp" blades. These are next level.