House Price Crash Forum

Programmes You Rush To Turn Off

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Desert Island Discs - the whole concept of taking somebody famous and reasonably interesting and then skipping through most of their life whilst they spend the majority of their time talking about their record collection seems like a deliberate ploy to make a potentially interesting conversation incredibly dull.

Very little time is spent discussing the records and more often than not they're related to some period or incident in their lives .

Nearly always worth listening to (except for civil servants or diplomats). Everyone has a story to tell.

I'm as far from a petrolhead as is possible to be but today's edition with Murray Walker was fantastic. 90 years old - incredible.

He welled up and almost started crying as he described how he bumped into his father on a WW2 battlefield.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Top of my list of hates is pathetic BBC sitcoms. Middle class people writing comedy for working class people and the insidiousness of trying to alter their attitudes in the process.

Mrs Brown's Boys

Citizen Khan

Aye, and House Of Fools - the funniest sitcom the BBC have produced since Fawlty Towers - was tucked away on BBC2 at 10pm on a Tuesday, got no trailers promoting it, and is unlikely to get a second series.

It's not available on iPlayer, and Amazon say the DVD isn't available until January 2015.

An absolute disgrace that that Citizen Khan and Mrs Brown shite get preference over Reeves and Mortimer's finest achievement.

XYY

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The quiz show that's already had a mention.

The one that was and is a really ill conceived idea which at first glance appears to be being pushed by the question setter, who was seemingly told that he wouldn't front the show and so a better-known name would be a good choice as it might mitigate the risk just a little, and so sits in a chair further away being geeky.

Even the presenter knows the show is basically rubbish and can't really believe he's still standing there and the thing is still going. The title of the show becomes itself a bit of a standing in-show joke.

It's all sort of quite likeable in a naff kind of way until it gets to the most ill-judged final imaginable when it's perfectly feasible that the contestants won't stand a chance whatsoever as the question is about something so laughably obscure that nobody would ever get it anyway.

(Rolf Harris voice) "Can you tell what it is yet?"

HOLA447

Aye, and House Of Fools - the funniest sitcom the BBC have produced since Fawlty Towers - was tucked away on BBC2 at 10pm on a Tuesday, got no trailers promoting it, and is unlikely to get a second series.

It's not available on iPlayer, and Amazon say the DVD isn't available until January 2015.

An absolute disgrace that that Citizen Khan and Mrs Brown shite get preference over Reeves and Mortimer's finest achievement.

XYY

Indeed, I only caught the very last episode because soembody was raving about it on a football forum. It was excellent.

Mrs Browns Boys is ok IMO.

HOLA448

Indeed, I only caught the very last episode because soembody was raving about it on a football forum. It was excellent.

I shall look out for it! :blink:

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I have to leave the room for almost all of the TV mentioned in the above posts. Somehow I have zero tolerance for even mildly uninteresting TV, and anything with ads is a no-no. I've become spoilt by DVDs and downloads.

....I know what you mean about ads interrupting a semi- decent programme.....will always change channels because I find them so irritating, more often than not find something else to watch or give up altogether, not missed much......got plenty of brilliant second-hand books still to read, not one ad in any of the pages. ;)

HOLA4411

Much to my disgust I have actually found Mrs Browns boys very funny.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Me too. I've never understood why that one's run for so long.

+2

I usually have Radio 4 on while cooking and normally catch the 6:30 comedy programs, some of which I find funny, others less so. My heart sinks every Monday though, when Just-a-bloody-Minute comes on. The same old formulaic crap every week, presumably intended for people with Altzheimer's who can't remember longer than a week, and Nicholas Parsons should have been retired years ago. Now I switch to local commercial radio on Mondays, which is just about bearable once a week.

HOLA4414

I don't know why anyone would be watching live TV in the UK now. Streaming services, and TiVo type boxes are so good why would you ever watch stuff you haven't already consciously chosen to watch?

Because if you think "I'll find something to watch" you're probably going to spend more time watching TV than if you think "I feel like watching TV" but turn it on, see nothing but crap, then turn it off again.

HOLA4415

I don't know why anyone would be watching live TV in the UK now. Streaming services, and TiVo type boxes are so good why would you ever watch stuff you haven't already consciously chosen to watch?

Streaming stuff costs a fortune here (4G, every 10GB costs £30, landline too poor quality to stream data).

Streaming at HD churns though data at scary rates - was watching a stream running at 23Meg down the other day and the data usage is frightening. TV only streams at nearer to about 6Meg. Even at that rate, a couple of movies and a TV programme maybe and there's £30 gone.

But there's also the issue of content. We had Netflix, watched what we wanted on that, then cancelled it. Everything else including the Now box seems to be operated by Sky in some way so I won't touch it. And rightly or wrongly, I still assume that about 80% of Sky's content is foreign (e.g. American dramas and programmes).

I get more excited when the Challenge channel buys up the first two seasons of the 1980s show "Treasure Hunt" and puts them on at weekends :)

HOLA4416

Gardeners question time on r4.

I have got a fairly large garden, so I should be interested, like you I hate it.

The questions are just unbelievably trivial. Typically the questions revolve around saving/improving one plant in a garden that probably contains hundreds of plants anyway. Why does it matter and why indeed should the listeners at home care either.

HOLA4417

Deal Or No Deal - the first time I saw it I thought, "This can't be happening."

But it was. And it still is.

There was a thing on you tube when it first started, can't remember what it was called but it was the whole show condensed in to 1 minute of the boxes opening.

The worst part of it is Noel Edmunds and his prattling on about boxes as if there is all some great mystical master plan.

HOLA4418

There was a thing on you tube when it first started, can't remember what it was called but it was the whole show condensed in to 1 minute of the boxes opening.

The worst part of it is Noel Edmunds and his prattling on about boxes as if there is all some great mystical master plan.

I've seen it a couple of times and found it horribly fascinating, in a freak show sort of way.

HOLA4419

easier to list what you don't:

The few good comedies/dramas made each year. The House of Fools is the only one I remember sticking with in recent months. Panel shows can be watchable depending on who is on but I wouldn't go out of my way for most of them.

Some factual stuff, though inevitably they just scratch the surface and are pretty much equivalent to reading one newspaper article on a subject in terms of increasing understanding. BBC3 obviously the market leader on this as they go for the 'yoof' angle on complex important topics, I just saw Free Speech for the first time and was pretty traumatised.

Cricket and football-though since I gave up sky I don't see much of these.

My hate list is soaps, property/cooking/lifestyle stuff, entertainment/quizzes and news which the internet has completely replaced for me.

Suspect in an age of boxsets and lovefilm, more and more TV will just be filler/light advertising etc.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

+2

I usually have Radio 4 on while cooking and normally catch the 6:30 comedy programs, some of which I find funny, others less so.

I love Clare in the Community. Still find it a bit unbelievable that the PC Beeb ever made a programme taking the royal p*ss out of social workers.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The quiz show that's already had a mention.

The one that was and is a really ill conceived idea which at first glance appears to be being pushed by the question setter, who was seemingly told that he wouldn't front the show and so a better-known name would be a good choice as it might mitigate the risk just a little, and so sits in a chair further away being geeky.

Even the presenter knows the show is basically rubbish and can't really believe he's still standing there and the thing is still going. The title of the show becomes itself a bit of a standing in-show joke.

It's all sort of quite likeable in a naff kind of way until it gets to the most ill-judged final imaginable when it's perfectly feasible that the contestants won't stand a chance whatsoever as the question is about something so laughably obscure that nobody would ever get it anyway.

(Rolf Harris voice) "Can you tell what it is yet?"

The geeky guy was a producer of the guessing game that's already had a mention.

I find him very amusing. He's admitted the laptop doesn't work - the facts are in his head.

HOLA4424

The few good comedies/dramas made each year. The House of Fools is the only one I remember sticking with in recent months.

Mrs XYY can't stand Reeves and Mortimer, but after she heard me laughing my tits off at the first episode, she watched from week 2 and loved it.

We've watched all 6 episodes twice since the show ended - this really does deserve a repeat in a good slot on BBC1.

Honestly, it's the (sur)real deal this show - I cannot enthuse about it enough.

XYY

HOLA4425

BBC3 obviously the market leader on this as they go for the 'yoof' angle on complex important topics, I just saw Free Speech for the first time and was pretty traumatised.

Quite funny as 'Free Speech' might have been censored! :lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/mar/14/bbc3-free-speech-debate-gay-muslim

Archived